inTank Media Baskets

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

Love the new additions, how often are you doing w/c's on this tank?

Thanks! I usually do a weekly water change, about 25%, and sometimes do a second one in the middle of the week.
  • Like 2

The green RFA seems to be some kind of rock star, seems like he won't be happy until he's up front, in the center, and on top :rolleyes:

I don't mind him stinging the green caps since they are big and can handle it, but he's started creeping up on the purple bonsai, and I've lost way too many acros to let him take another one.

So I removed the big green cap frag that was sitting loose on top of the main green cap. Of course everything is white underneath, but it should only take a couple weeks to color back up. This way the RFA doesn't have a shelf to sit on right next to the purple bonsai. Oops, I just realized that there's actually another smaller frag sitting on top still.

Sorry everything's a little purple, I forgot to put the lights in photo mode when I took these shots.

25688799246_58a8f99a75_b.jpgIM10 Top Down Green Caps by TeenyReef, on Flickr

In other news, Squidward fell in love with himself while I was taking pictures :lol:

25619788911_e5b8e4c795_b.jpgSquidward by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Almost all the rics are getting puffy already!

25593836802_e985c357a7_b.jpgRic Rock by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Finally, I just like this closely cropped view of the big orange/blue/green ric :)

25688807266_b5491e69dd_b.jpgRic Macro by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 10

I can't believe that RFA, tenacious. He likes that light I guess and well, it does look awesome!

Yeah, he's definitely got a mind of his own. Which is weird since he doesn't really have a brain :lol:

But I have to admit he's an amazing match for the green caps. I think I'm going to claim that I planned it that way all along :happy:

• Like 3

The Ricordea look great. I ordered 3 from KP earlier in the week (rainbow, orange, green/purple) and a red ball sponge. Should be here later next week. The prices are fair and the slower shipping option is very reasonable if you have livestock that can go that method. I also have the same Evolve tank I'm using as a frag tank!

• Like 2

The Ricordea look great. I ordered 3 from KP earlier in the week (rainbow, orange, green/purple) and a red ball sponge. Should be here later next week. The prices are fair and the slower shipping option is very reasonable if you have livestock that can go that method. I also have the same Evolve tank I'm using as a frag tank!

That's awesome! I agree on the pricing and shipping from KPA :)

What kind of filtration/nutrient export are you doing with your Evolve?

Woah! That ricordia is beautiful!!!! :o

Thanks! I really hope they all do well and fill in so that you can't even see the rock :)

I love those icy colored ones. I will plan on getting one when it's my time.

Yes!!!

• Like 3

That's awesome! I agree on the pricing and shipping from KPA :)

What kind of filtration/nutrient export are you doing with your Evolve?

I have made a few changes. I removed the stock filter holder and replaced with a solid piece of acrylic held in the slot meant for the stock filter. I have a few marine pure ceramic spheres back there and some chemi pure nano. If glued some plastic behind the overflow teeth to get some height differential between the from and rear chambers. Blocked off the small hole in the back wall. Filter floss behind and below the overflow teeth. Water flow through the overflow, down through floss and marine pure, up through chemi pure and across in to the return chamber.

I don't have a lot in the tank - mainly Rastas I fragged when I was downsizing. And a few snails for algae control. I'm always amazed how much waste they generate...

I have a Skyye light over it right now but might start using my NanoBox instead. Undecided.

• Like 1

Hello Teeny. Question about your aquascape. When you first added the rock, did you glue any of it together or did you just balance them well.

I just did mine last night and I couldn't see the point of taking the time out of the water to glue much. I just took some epoxy putty and smashed it between the upper and lower layers to create a smooth base. I figure not physically connecting the rocks together will make it easier to remove one or more of them to clean algae, deal with bad guys, etc.

What say you?

20160317_012842_zpsvqfcmpol.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Teeny. Question about your aquascape. When you first added the rock, did you glue any of it together or did you just balance them well.

I just did mine last night and I couldn't see the point of taking the time out of the water to glue much. I just took some epoxy putty and smashed it between the upper and lower layers to create a smooth base. I figure not physically connecting the rocks together will make it easier to remove one or more of them to clean algae, deal with bad guys, etc.

What say you?

20160317_012842_zpsvqfcmpol.jpg

I didn't glue much of it at first, and after that I only glued key pieces that kept falling off. If I took the rocks out now, they'd probably come out in five or six chunks made up of either one big rock, or several little rocks put together.

Put another way: I kept a few largish base rocks and made other largish rocks by gluing smaller rocks together. Then they are all piled together, with a spot of glue here or there to keep them stable.

In my 4g tank, I completely redid the rocks at least three times before I got something I liked. And even now, they are just piled on top of each other with no glue at all.

I remember orange / rainbow rics were only $8 back in the days from saltcritters. Sigh. Now they are getting expensive. A lot of it depends on how many mouths too.

I know, right? Although the rics I got from KPA weren't too expensive.

• Like 1

I have made a few changes. I removed the stock filter holder and replaced with a solid piece of acrylic held in the slot meant for the stock filter. I have a few marine pure ceramic spheres back there and some chemi pure nano. If glued some plastic behind the overflow teeth to get some height differential between the from and rear chambers. Blocked off the small hole in the back wall. Filter floss behind and below the overflow teeth. Water flow through the overflow, down through floss and marine pure, up through chemi pure and across in to the return chamber.

I don't have a lot in the tank - mainly Rastas I fragged when I was downsizing. And a few snails for algae control. I'm always amazed how much waste they generate...

I have a Skyye light over it right now but might start using my NanoBox instead. Undecided.

Thanks - sounds very similar to mine - I did the exact same thing with the acrylic piece. I haven't tried blocking the back wall hole or raising the overflow teeth, I'll have to try some of those ideas soon!

Looking awesome as usual, Teeny and thank you for the FTS of the frag tank :)

Those rics, :wub:

Thanks, Stella!

• Like 2

Teeny, do you use the foam cover on your MP10? I found my TSB stuck to mine when I got home from work today. Not sure if he died and just got stuck or was maybe swimming too closely. It doesn't look very nice, but I'm gonna keep it on there from now on.

I don't use mine but my tsb rarely goes near it. Sorry to hear about your loss :(

I would definitely use mine if the tsb started hanging out near the MP10. You have to turn it up a little more to get the same flow with the foam on.

• Like 1

I don't use mine but my tsb rarely goes near it. Sorry to hear about your loss :(

I would definitely use mine if the tsb started hanging out near the MP10. You have to turn it up a little more to get the same flow with the foam on.

I used mine for a few weeks until my blenny quit sitting on it. It would get clogged with flake food and the flow sucked. I finally just took it off.
  • Like 1

I used mine for a few weeks until my blenny quit sitting on it. It would get clogged with flake food and the flow sucked. I finally just took it off.

Yeah, when I used mine I had to clean the filter at least twice a week or it would clog up and get really nasty. That was the main reason I stopped using it.

Teeny, do you use the foam cover on your MP10? I found my TSB stuck to mine when I got home from work today. Not sure if he died and just got stuck or was maybe swimming too closely. It doesn't look very nice, but I'm gonna keep it on there from now on.

During feeding when all pumps are off, mine goes in to the MP10. The first time I saw it I nearly died (he nearly did too). I have bought some barnacle shells from Reefcleaners and will put them in this weekend and hope he prefers them to the blender.

• Like 1

During feeding when all pumps are off, mine goes in to the MP10. The first time I saw it I nearly died (he nearly did too). I have bought some barnacle shells from Reefcleaners and will put them in this weekend and hope he prefers them to the blender.

Mine got in there one time a couple weeks ago while it was turned off. Fortunately I noticed in time :o

• Like 1

Mine got in there one time a couple weeks ago while it was turned off. Fortunately I noticed in time :o

Mine did the some once while taking photos, but I never saw him get near when it was running. It already looks like it's getting stuff stuck in it. I guess I'll keep an eye on it and see how annoying it is to keep clean. Check out my thread for my new addition...

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Mine did the some once while taking photos, but I never saw him get near when it was running. It already looks like it's getting stuff stuck in it. I guess I'll keep an eye on it and see how annoying it is to keep clean. Check out my thread for my new addition...

Every two or three months put it in some vinegar and brush it off IMO, keeps it looking like new.

• Like 2

Every two or three months put it in some vinegar and brush it off IMO, keeps it looking like new.

He's talking about the foam filter. It gets nasty in just a couple days :(

In other news, I just realized that neither of the two sexy shrimp are out and about.

And I just realized I can't remember the last time I saw them :(

I think they may have been either a casualty of, or a contributor to, the general tank woes that were going on.

So currently there are no crabs or shrimp at all in the tank. I need to beef up the clean up crew :)

reefernanoman

The green RFA seems to be some kind of rock star, seems like he won't be happy until he's up front, in the center, and on top :rolleyes:

I don't mind him stinging the green caps since they are big and can handle it, but he's started creeping up on the purple bonsai, and I've lost way too many acros to let him take another one.

So I removed the big green cap frag that was sitting loose on top of the main green cap. Of course everything is white underneath, but it should only take a couple weeks to color back up. This way the RFA doesn't have a shelf to sit on right next to the purple bonsai. Oops, I just realized that there's actually another smaller frag sitting on top still.

Sorry everything's a little purple, I forgot to put the lights in photo mode when I took these shots.

25688799246_58a8f99a75_b.jpgIM10 Top Down Green Caps by TeenyReef, on Flickr

In other news, Squidward fell in love with himself while I was taking pictures :lol:

25619788911_e5b8e4c795_b.jpgSquidward by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Almost all the rics are getting puffy already!

25593836802_e985c357a7_b.jpgRic Rock by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Finally, I just like this closely cropped view of the big orange/blue/green ric :)

25688807266_b5491e69dd_b.jpgRic Macro by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Beautiful rics! Also, the idaho grape monti looks like it's dancing with your green monti. I tried rics before, but they just got really small and melted away. I would have thought that mushrooms were tougher than that. I have some mushrooms that I keep trying to kill, and they always come back for more! Go figure.

• Like 1