SaltCritters.com

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

Good morning Kat and Kat's tank. That oyster is pretty cool. Did you pull it out of he tank for good or just the pic? I'd have let it go, or put it in the fuge.

I like most critters, it's back in the tank. Been watching it hop around, I mean I can't see when it moves but I find it in different spots everyday. Funny guy.

I was gifted some gulab jamun Kat. Apparently there's an indian food market in Winter Springs. They were hand made in the shop and are as good as I remember. :)

Delicious!

Antibiotic. Usually you need to go through a vet or something. Or know a guy.

Some reading:

http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog/c_bingman_040697.html

http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/281/1788/20140094

Dealing with antibiotics is powerful stuff though -- you want to make sure you don't get exposed, and that the water gets disposed of properly.

I see. Well, the tank isn't sick, it's low nutrients which is not working out well for SPS. So no antibiotics. Lugols is used as an antiseptic and as a healer for corals, which is why i dipped. It slowed the peeling in the frags. In my opinion. But has not stopped it.

ooo I miss my Blackcap and Candy Basslets... Wonder if I even have any pics of those guys. Basslets are another of my favorite fishes because I like to think we have similar personalities.

• Like 1

Test results

Calcium 400

Alk 8.4dKH

Salinity .35ppt

Magnesium 1120ppm (red sea)

Magnesium 1470ppm (salifert)

Nitrate 2.5ppm (salifert)

Nitrate somewhere between .25ppm and .50 (red sea)

Phosphate 0.5ppm (salifert)

Phosphate 0.64ppm (red sea)

I like the nice open layout of the Dec 2014 FTS. The challenge will be not to fill it up too much..."Just one more little frag over there...or maybe two more in that other corner..." :)

I like the nice open layout of the Dec 2014 FTS. The challenge will be not to fill it up too much..."Just one more little frag over there...or maybe two more in that other corner..." :)

:lol: You have to admit having this little rock compared to the RSM is not just an improvement, I'm really out of my 'element'. I'm pretty sure the coral additions will happen, especially considering the death toll from the tank move which has been very heartbreaking. I've always wanted growth patterns like staghorn corals, long branching corals like the bali slimer I have. But the tabling kind seem to be everywhere. I'm going to do my best to keep to the general spacial idea of the tank.

Test results

Calcium 400

Alk 8.4dKH

Salinity .35ppt

Magnesium 1120ppm (red sea)

Magnesium 1470ppm (salifert)

Nitrate 2.5ppm (salifert)

Nitrate somewhere between .25ppm and .50 (red sea)

Phosphate 0.5ppm (salifert)

Phosphate 0.64ppm (red sea)

Good grief on the phosphates. I would tumble a little GFO, it worked well for me, and test the KH twice daily just to make sure it doesn't do any crazy drops. My KH did not budge when I added 2 cups, but I have a lot more water volume.

Sorry to hear about the troubles Kat, but in a few months the tank will be looking fantastic, I'm sure of it.

Oh, Black Cap basslets are wonderful fish, that would be my vote if it can get along with the Royal.

• Like 1

Baby maxima is trying to attach to the rock I've placed her on, seen her drop her foot to it but hasn't attached yet. Wrasse is acting strange, almost about ready to jump so I've been keeping the lid on. Tank has been cloudy for a few days, likely another bacterial bloom. I added prodibio digest 2 days ago and prodibio bioptim yesterday and the water is now crystal clear. Between that, the 5G water change and seachem matrix, something had to look different I guess.

Microbe-lift special blend arrives today. Look forward to seeing what that does besides stink up my home. :lol:

The conch was killed. Benny thinks I may have a whelk that preys on certain snails. I did find it odd that in the RSM I had a lot of micro hermits but very few snails that were found alive.