Cultivated Reef

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

I did start vinegar dosing earlier in the year, can't remember why. But I stopped after one of the round tables I was invited to - was it Dr Tim or Chris Brightwell, I can't remember. Carbon dosing in general isn't something I've been keen on. Some of the foods and supplements I use have a carbon source such as the Cryopreserved phyto, and the vitamin C. If I get nitrates out the butt, I'm just going to grow more xenia.

• Like 1

I just texted Zeph for input. I have a peculiar bi-valve in the tank that likes to move around. I found it a couple of days back in the RSM attached to the rim of the tank. I threw it in the new tank. Yesterday or 2 days ago I saw it in the back corner half buried in the sand. Today it is attached to the underside of a frag high up on the frag tree.

Strange critter. Anybody else have walking mollusks?

• Like 1

oo I loved prodibio when I used it! I think it's 75% the awesome packaging though. I really enjoyed the reef booster I think it was called.

When I ran it I coupled it with 1/2normal amount of biopellets

Oh no! I am sorry. I was rooting for Geowgee to make it. :tears: Get that mesh top made STAT! My flasher wrasse got my top all wet today. I heard a splash, saw water all over the top and the wrasse just swimming around like nothing happened. :rant:

I have a bi-valve that is hosting an extremely happy zoa colony. It doesn't move around the tank because it's held down by the zoas (and I don't know whether it would want to anyway) but it does open and close its mouth at feeding time. Kind of cool. I didn't realize it was there when I first got the zoas. Do you think yours is some kind of scallop?

edit: Wait a minute… you made a top. I remember seeing it now. What happened?!

• Like 1

Yehp! A couple of tiny ones, actually. One about an inch long, one half an inch. They like to relocate themselves whenever the rocks get moved, and I found the first one attached to my return pump when I went to clean it one day.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

I just texted Zeph for input. I have a peculiar bi-valve in the tank that likes to move around. I found it a couple of days back in the RSM attached to the rim of the tank. I threw it in the new tank. Yesterday or 2 days ago I saw it in the back corner half buried in the sand. Today it is attached to the underside of a frag high up on the frag tree.

• Like 3
try all in one biopellets! Join me on the dark side?

Start using it and so far so good. However, I started with very small amount in fear of shock effect. A question : did it turn kind of slimy in your reactor ? It did in mine. Made it almost impossible to tumble. Reduced amount a bit and it seems to work a little better.

BLOODY HELL! GEOWGEE JUMPED.

Hope he is fine................ :(

did it turn kind of slimy in your reactor ?

It ddn't, but I was tumbling at a pretty high rate of flow. My theory was such that the higher flow cause the polymers to shed minute amounts of carbon into the water column which allows cyano to grow in the display, so using a lesser amount at a higher rate of flow coupled with high added bacteria mass consume all available carbon even in the water column, so no cyano like many complain of.

I'm pretty excited for the AIO biopellets now

• Like 1

It ddn't, but I was tumbling at a pretty high rate of flow. My theory was such that the higher flow cause the polymers to shed minute amounts of carbon into the water column which allows cyano to grow in the display, so using a lesser amount at a higher rate of flow coupled with high added bacteria mass consume all available carbon even in the water column, so no cyano like many complain of.

I'm pretty excited for the AIO biopellets now

Thanks. And on the second thought, not soaking pellets for 24 hrs could be the reason why. I will increase the flow as you advice. ;)

I started AIO pellets last week on one of my tanks.

Glass algae still growing just as fast as before, without it.

Still researching it. Im thinking of putting a dropper full of Thoms expensive German bacteria in it.

Ps sorry about the jumper. Hows the Katropora CPR coming along?

Thanks. And on the second thought, not soaking pellets for 24 hrs could be the reason why. I will increase the flow as you advice. ;)

Aren't they soaked for 24 hours, the next day.

Well, I didn't pre soak mine, and my protein skimmer foamed up like someone poured Dawn it. It foamed for like 24 hours. I think thats the reason Im supposed to soak them.

• Like 1
I started AIO pellets last week on one of my tanks.

Glass algae still growing just as fast as before, without it.

Still researching it. Im thinking of putting a dropper full of Thoms expensive German bacteria in it.

Ps sorry about the jumper. Hows the Katropora CPR coming along?Aren't they soaked for 24 hours, the next day.

Well, I didn't pre soak mine, and my protein skimmer foamed up like someone poured Dawn it. It foamed for like 24 hours. I think thats the reason Im supposed to soak them.

If not presoaked, float they will. Much harder to get tumbling going as pellets will float to the top. I was also told that AIO biopellets take time to get noticeable increase in nitrogen reduction.

• Like 1