Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

same thing happens (albeit to a much less drastic degree) to the chevron tang. I loveeeeeee the juveniles but the adults... not so much.

Looked it up... Weird that they do that!

Good morning from a reef on the mend. :)

One good thing about butchering up a 3 year old colony into 50+ pieces is that you no longer have a main colony that's peeling. Much easier to handle emotionally. That's my reef tip/trick of the day. :lol:

Geowgee spent the night in the barnacle! I'm so impressed. Yesterday he did not venture out so I fed him black worms in the barnacle. But this room service has to stop soon, I'll give him till next week to recover his strength and damage to his fins from mama clown. Then he's going to need to swim out of the barnacle and catch his food like everybody else.

My shipment of pods arrives today, I also got pods from John yesterday. The glass is crawling with pods, I love it. I think today I'm going to move Sam over to the fuge. I still hear the mantis in the old RSM. I have some pieces of the Kat in there, but I think I should do a water change or something this weekend.

The tank has a long long way to go to heal, probably 6 months or so to get color back in the corals and such. But at least I feel positive about it, barring anything that might come up.

Does anybody remember the name of that sump media that is available in brick form, and also comes in balls? It's a porous material meant for nitrate reducing bacteria.

• Like 5

Good morning from a reef on the mend. :)

One good thing about butchering up a 3 year old colony into 50+ pieces is that you no longer have a main colony that's peeling. Much easier to handle emotional. That's my reef tip/trick of the day. :lol:

Geowgee spent the night in the barnacle! I'm so impressed. Yesterday he did not venture out so I fed him black worms in the barnacle. But this room service has to stop soon, I'll give him till next week to recover his strength and damage to his fins from mama clown. Then he's going to need to swim out of the barnacle and catch his food like everybody else.

My shipment of pods arrives today, I also got pods from John yesterday. The glass is crawling with pods, I love it. I think today I'm going to move Sam over to the fuge. I still hear the mantis in the old RSM. I have some pieces of the Kat in there, but I think I should do a water change or something this weekend.

The tank has a long long way to go to heal, probably 6 months or so to get color back in the corals and such. But at least I feel positive about it, barring anything that might come up.

Glad to hear things are getting better and love the barnacles. I thought about doing something similar and getting 3-4 barnacle blennies. Your Geowge thinks he is one! :P

• Like 1

was debating that also, yes. But it's the same thing, will not address nitrates, only nitrites and ammonia.

Seachem's claim is that Matrix is 'Denitrate', but for flow higher than ~30GPH. The inside of the pieces are the anaerobic zones needed for nitrate removal. :]

jedimasterben

They are not the same product. deNitrate is much more porous and is best in low flow rates. Matrix with low flow rates will house denitrifying bacteria, but not to the extent that deNitrate will.

jedimasterben

VSV stands for vodka sugar vinegar, two of which are unnecessary lol. Vinegar is what is most recommended, vodka if you're ok with dosing very tiny amounts (since it has several times more carbon than vinegar), but with vinegar you get a little bit of a cushion.

I think vinegar is for people that don't like the idea of finding where the sweet spot is for vodka which tends to require a good bit more testing and time... and that sweet spot can change heh.