Pod Your Reef

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

That's the storm from my current old light. It has 3 channels with lime on it. And a custom red case. ;)

New light is not here, trust me, there will be a huge post about it. Dave has a lot to say about the light he's working on for me.

All I want to know is how in hell aew you getting all those propagation vendors, lfs, manufacturers etc to go an extra mile to please you......... ;)

Established system.I gave the reactor a dose of Thom's bacteria last night.I have a fuge on another system, not on this one. This one does have a gallon of cermedia balls, I'm testing. I'm beginning to think the experiment on them is a failure. The balls are in an upflow chamber to minimize detritus collection and they are relatively clean. I doubt they are producing excess nitrate, as in nitrate factory. But glass algae is growing at pre cermedia rate.
Interesting, I am not getting any algea blooms whatsoever.

to start reducing your parameters
My parameters were fine prior to use of bio-pellets.

Edit- reason for using bio-pellets is to remove gfo and carbon I was overdosing ...... the only other chemical filtration in use is chemi-pure blue.

All I want to know is how in hell aew you getting all those propagation vendors, lfs, manufacturers etc to go an extra mile to please you......... ;)

Not sure TBH. You've actually met me, not too many other people have. So it has to be my awesome forum bitchslapping personality.

• Like 1

Perhaps I should clarify. Prior to use of AIO bio-pellets, I used excess amount of various chemical agents such as gfo, phosguard, seachem carbon and in my opinion it had ill effect on corals by stripping water of nutrients. It wasn't helping with occasional algea blooms either. OnceI switched to fuge> skimmer only, things improved a bit. Added chemi pure blue (very conservative amount) later on. But I use it only 3 weeks per month. And now, after hearing few positive reviews of AIO bio-pellets, I decided to try it out. If it was a wise move, time will tell.

Not sure TBH. You've actually met me, not too many other people have. So it has to be my awesome forum bitchslapping personality.

I think I know what it is. I have seen this phenomena before and it is addictive. I guess you have that evil "it" that make ppl curious and at ease.

Perhaps I should clarify. Prior to use of AIO bio-pellets, I used excess amount of various chemical agents such as gfo, phosguard, seachem carbon and in my opinion it had ill effect on corals by stripping water of nutrients. It wasn't helping with occasional algea blooms either. OnceI switched to fuge> skimmer only, things improved a bit. Added chemi pure blue (very conservative amount) later on. But I use it only 3 weeks per month. And now, after hearing few positive reviews of AIO bio-pellets, I decided to try it out. If it was a wise move, time will tell.

I think I know what it is. I have seen this phenomena before and it is addictive. I guess you have that evil "it" that make ppl curious and at ease.

Ah fair, I mean how long after starting did you ditch the other additives

• Like 1

Ah fair, I mean how long after starting did you ditch the other additives

About 2 weeks before adding bio-pellets. Just to make water a little more nutrient rich.

Tank is IM Nuvo 16 and this is how I have it set up:

Left side - mini fuge (diy out of overflow box) >>>> filter floss at original IM overflow >>>> AIO bio-pellets reactor >>> Pico 2 skimmer.

Right side - diy floss holder >>>> 2nd chamber (up flow) intank fuge basket with macro - algae and small bag of chemi-pure blue on top.

DIY Mini Fuge

7eM4GqA.jpg

kRypzrK.jpg

Oh? So you were at ease and then you weren't? Hmmm.... Maybe I was going to bite.
I am not afraid of bites. But overconfidence makes my gears grind.
  • Like 1

Oh wow, it's been so long since I've been here. Sorry about all the bad stuff that's been going on.

Hello from a sad reef. The Kat continues necrosing. At this point it is strewn about in 30-40 pieces, no longer a colony. I've dipped a lot of the pieces in lugols, I have some in both tanks and now its time to let it ride.

Lugol's is sh*t. You need some hardcore stuff for cases like this. Like some pure uncut Chloramphenicol.

My order of microbe-lift just arrived. It must be a wrong kind because this thing doesn't smell bad at all and I heard that it stinks up the whole house.

Yah, it should smell like rotten eggs. Fairly strongly. The bacteria eats the sulfur as an energy source until it gets into your tank. If you can't smell the sulfur, then the bacteria have exhausted it and might be mostly dead.

I don't know, I think a tuna is pretty fugly. Make mine seared, with peppercorns please.

WHATT. Tuna are glorious animals, and are beautiful in their design. Whether it's their superior hydrodynamic build, or it's ability to thermoregulate and be warm-blooded, all arguments are null against their beauty and efficiency.

Okay try not to judge me. Imma show you my junk.

So much junk inside that trunk.

• Like 1
The mini fuge is cute. Grinding gears can't be good. Grease helps.
It might but enough about greasing my wheels and more about your fugly experiments. Seems like you are about to get funky with your new smelly addition. Your fetish never cease to amaze me.

P.S don't call my fuge cute ;)

What is it, what does it do, how do i get it?

Antibiotic. Usually you need to go through a vet or something. Or know a guy.

Some reading:

http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog/c_bingman_040697.html

http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/281/1788/20140094

Dealing with antibiotics is powerful stuff though -- you want to make sure you don't get exposed, and that the water gets disposed of properly.

Good morning from the hopping Mollusk reef. Tangerine the baby Maxima unattached itself, too much flow where it was. I put her on the base of the big structure, she's trying to get comfortable.

Here are pictures of the other mollusk that actually walks all over the tank. Might be a thorny oyster.

20141221_102956.jpg

20141221_103008.jpg

• Like 4

Good morning Kat and Kat's tank. That oyster is pretty cool. Did you pull it out of he tank for good or just the pic? I'd have let it go, or put it in the fuge.

• Like 1