Pod Your Reef

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

I've learnt that the animals we keep are really amazing in their ability to adapt.

I was getting lectured over on RC about this the other day. I've been diving in Dubai, back in my oldest threads from when I lived there I'd found a small inlet that was being repurposed to be a dock for some yachts, I'd discovered it before then, though, when it was still a very shallow reef. I used to collect colonies with amazing coloration amongst coral stands that were well over 1 meter in diameter, all in water that was very nutrient poor, silty and regularly rose to 40-45* celsius.

I think as long as the macro-movements of the water are in check (similar kh movements daily, for example) the corals will adapt and grow, they can handle elevations but dislike sharp change and upset in the regularity.

• Like 3

OH YUCK! THIS MICROBE-LIFT STINKS MAN!!

cycle the tank with it, almost a full bottle made my house smell like a dumpster for a day. I assume you are just dosing it?

Also, stand by for scary clear water

• Like 1

I just got their addy, but these fish are coming from their LA warehouse. I might host my birthday party at POTO. You'll have to come Hypo.

I'll bring some brazilian party treats

OH YUCK! THIS MICROBE-LIFT STINKS MAN!!

and that's how you know it's working lol :D

And yay on the cardinals! I love those guys. Pictures don't do justice to their blue/yellow flashes

I'll bring some brazilian party treats

POTO declined, Kenny said he doesn't have the space or manpower right now. That's okay, I'll have to pick another store to have a birthday party at. Maybe my fav - Absolutely Fish.

Eeowuck

and that's how you know it's working lol :D

And yay on the cardinals! I love those guys. Pictures don't do justice to their blue/yellow flashes

They flash?! :o

gah, poor choice of words. They have these iridescent blue markings on their eyes and fins, and iridescent stripes on their sides. They don't come out well in pictures. But it depends on the angle that you're looking at them, so as they swim/wiggle their bodies the colors will flash at you. This ORA pic kinda shows the markings:

bluestreak_lg.jpg

• Like 2

Podpimps methodology. Feeding bacteria instead of reef foods (over simplification in this statement).

This is what he said about how he does it and why

Kat, I like the new layout. I am dosing prodibio bioptim/biodigest every 2 weeks, alternating off weeks with Microbe-lift Special Blend. I also dose Microbe lift nite out II each water change, and fish addition.

The key with this dosing is the ramp up the bioload so the bacteria needs to exist. If you keep a low bioload and dose what i dose, you will strip your system and corals will look like crap and tank will be unstable. As I began stocking, I made sure there was always a nitrate level. If you don't have nitrates you will probably want to back off on the carbon dosing, skimmer, cheato or whatever. The only issue that i can't seem to get around is the cyano outbreak as my stocking gets heavy. The special blend limits its run, but it's annoying nevertheless. in 4-6 weeks it's gone and the system is way more mature and ready for real heavy stocking smile.gif

And for reference, this is his tank

15955958155_72419a2bc8_b.jpg

Sigh. And this was mine.

20140702_181559edit.jpg

Grrreat. now I've made myself cry. bloody hell.

• Like 3

It will come around. They always do. And you get to dream up what coral will grow into your beautiful new rockwork.

Thank you :flower:

Turn off the panic mode Kat. Stand up, face your tank and say " I can do this ! " Then post that video ;)

I'm going to try this

• Like 1