Top Shelf Aquatics

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

The Deep Blue 80 is the Kat's whiskers too, 48x24x16, MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

yes, that was my first choice of tank before the Reefer series came out. Now if Red Sea made a shallow tank, I will be all over it!

• Like 3

The Deep Blue 80 is the Kat's whiskers too, 48x24x16, MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

I have an ancient, scratched up FW 90g tank on a nice stand I built myself. That Deep Blue would fit perfectly on that stand, and if I ever find a good deal on one those FW fishes are gonna migrate to somebody else's house :)

Kat, I love the changes to the scape. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with the new tank. A bommie like 4x5's would be sweet :)

Any movement on the repairs? I'd be going nuts :(

• Like 1

Nice write up

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/microbial-nitrate-removal.258204/

Kat, I love the changes to the scape. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with the new tank. A bommie like 4x5's would be sweet :)
Any movement on the repairs? I'd be going nuts :(

Thanks, I like the new scape too. Some more tweaking to be done. Today I made a little 'stage' out of Brightwell HeXiDiscs

To put Oreo the clam on and wedge her to the left of the Katropora.

I'll try to get pics tomorrow.

608381.img5119.jpg

No movement on repairs. Our insurance company has to get paperwork from my buildings insurance company. We still have one side of the apartment completely unusable. It's out of sight at least. In the meantime the restoration company has taken measurements and stuff. I'm not sure what happens next while we wait.

• Like 3

Those are cool! I just got a frag from LiveAquaria today on one of those and I was wondering what it was :)

They'd be perfect for building gardens of frags in a shallow sand bed.

Those are cool! I just got a frag from LiveAquaria today on one of those and I was wondering what it was :)

They'd be perfect for building gardens of frags in a shallow sand bed.

Yea, they're very porous and light weight, same material as their XPORT products and the new bricks and plates they just released.

• Like 2
RayWhisperer

Well, I'm glad to see it wasn't something "Kat astrophic". It's frustrating and inconvenient, sure. I was just worried when I saw this page. Thought maybe terrorists had struck NY's most glamorous reefer.

I'm a little surprised your insurance isn't taking care of it first and then going after the building afterwards. That's the way it works with car insurance, at least.

Which exhausts my limited store of insurance expertise :(

:lol:

I'm a little surprised your insurance isn't taking care of it first and then going after the building afterwards. That's the way it works with car insurance, at least.

Which exhausts my limited store of insurance expertise :(

They aren't going after anybody yet. They need an incident report from management which is what the hold up is. The management company is telling my insurance company to go through their insurance company get the report. Which confirms that the leak was a common element and not the apartment upstairs.
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear the apartment woes are ongoing :c Is it even legal for the building to drag their feet like they're doing?

Everything is legal unless you take someone to court....
  • Like 4
StinkyBunny

I think it's time to say to them that you're going to speak to legal counsel Kat. Sometimes that lights a fire under their asses to get things done.

• Like 2

I think it's time to say to them that you're going to speak to legal counsel Kat. Sometimes that lights a fire under their asses to get things done.

^This. But really if they should try to screw you over it wouldn't be a bad idea.

• Like 2
StinkyBunny

I think that article pushed me over the edge on sulfur denitrators. I've been looking at them for a while now. Back in the 80's the Dutch Mini-reef company had a denitrator that used alcohol. I built one and it worked quite well on the 240. What I was thinking was to dump the effluent into a calcium reactor itself./mad scientist

• Like 1
RayWhisperer

I think that article pushed me over the edge on sulfur denitrators. I've been looking at them for a while now. Back in the 80's the Dutch Mini-reef company had a denitrator that used alcohol. I built one and it worked quite well on the 240. What I was thinking was to dump the effluent into a calcium reactor itself./mad scientist

I like your style of thinking, but I'm unsure how well that'll work.

Those old style sulfur denitrators worked on very low pressure/low flow. Trying to "dump" the effluent directly into a pressurized system, like a calcium reactor, is likely to reverse the intended flow of the nitrate reactor.

Another problem I see would be controlling the effluent flow into the reactor. Once the ph in the reactor drops too low, you'd need a way to stop, or redirect the effluent. Otherwise, you'd end up burning up most of your tank with an alk spike of epic proportions.

If you could get it to work, though, it would be a fantastic idea. You'd likely be able to run a calcium reactor sans co2.

• Like 2
StinkyBunny

Not dumping it into a pressurized vessel, it'll be 2 side by side reactors. The effluent from the sulfur reactor into a calcium/coral vessel to buffer the pH and alk back somewhat. I don't think that they use enough in the pre made reactors.

• Like 1
RayWhisperer

Well, that would work, I suppose. If you have the space, make it happen. I'd be interested to see how much buffering capacity it would produce as just a flow through system.

• Like 2
StinkyBunny

I've been looking at several different systems. I like the PVC idea, I DO NOT like the fact that you can't see what's going on in there. I work in the plastics industry so I'm going to be picking brains tomorrow. I have some 120mm diameter Lexan pipe that I can use, I need to get some base material. ideally I'd like it to be 20mm thick so I can insert the pipe into the base somewhat. There's always getting clear PVC, but I need to find out what 4" would cost for a length.