Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

Nobody panic!

Worked on my scape with Johnny Ciotti's help. (still working on it)

The main idea was to make the slimer be more cohesive with the left side.

(and now it has room to grow too)

Before

26619888724_9a5c63c1d7_k.jpg

After

28379179901_a6e6b1e77d_k.jpg

• Like 12

Acropora Austera is suddenly growing like a bean stalk. If you see the branches closely (click to enlarge), the lower portion has dense coralites, and then whooosh! A bit of elongated coralite free branch and then it starts to grow coralites again.

28379174071_b17a902bc7_k.jpg

• Like 5

So is there a waitlist for the austera

Kidding. I need a much better handle on my tank before I try to deal with acropora :P

• Like 1

So is there a waitlist for the austera

Kidding. I need a much better handle on my tank before I try to deal with acropora :P

Whenever you are ready

Y'all know I don't like to clean my glass right? Too many copepods on the glass.

This is a PC Rainbow Stag and my WWC Orange passion bogger.

Got them at RAP, so that is 3 weeks ago. They turned brown almost immediately. (tank issues) and they are coloring back up now.

28379175261_e469795030_k.jpg

• Like 4

Awww, thanks :wub:

Anyone want to spend an entire day in a movie theater? :P I have like five movies I need to watch. Finding Dory, Secret Life of Pets, Ghostbusters, Ice Age: Collision Course, Now You See Me 2, Star Trek Beyond, Tarzan, and X-Men Apocalypse.

...Okay, eight movies.

mitten_reef

Nice new scape! Really like that the slimer is now permanently photobombing the Kat.

Speaking of scape, I have a question that you might be able to enlighten this follower.

So came a cross the term "Bommie" quite a bit recently - there's a recent ReefBuilder piece on an awesome tank that they called Bommie-style, and then a bunch of posts on NR here, including yours. Google search shows bommies to be somewhat remote/isolated rock full of coral with pretty good open area surrounding it.

What is a "bommie" in an aquascape perspective? How is it different from the "islands" style scape. I love the open sand bed look, so would like to learn a bit more if there's any difference between the two styles.

Thanks,

• Like 3

Nice new scape! Really like that the slimer is now permanently photobombing the Kat.

Speaking of scape, I have a question that you might be able to enlighten this follower.

So came a cross the term "Bommie" quite a bit recently - there's a recent ReefBuilder piece on an awesome tank that they called Bommie-style, and then a bunch of posts on NR here, including yours. Google search shows bommies to be somewhat remote/isolated rock full of coral with pretty good open area surrounding it.

What is a "bommie" in an aquascape perspective? How is it different from the "islands" style scape. I love the open sand bed look, so would like to learn a bit more if there's any difference between the two styles.

Thanks,

Thanks for stopping in. Why don't we learn about Bommies together?

Johnny Ciotti is the creator of that Bommie tank you see. A bommie can be just one rock in the middle of a tank or on a column. The open space around it is key - hard to pull off in a nano. In my mind the island aquascape and the bommie is the same. I've noticed though that most island scapes don't just have one island, it's usually more than one. But that's a great question that I will ask Johnny when I speak to him next.

The latest issue of Coral magazine also talks about bommies.

Some examples of bommies that I like

1c2a8d26645d4a43ac53c2d39796bacd.jpg

0AzZrFY.jpg

• Like 9
StinkyBunny

DAMN POKEMON SERVERS WERE DOWN ON MY WALK

:furious:

1st world problems.

That branchy coral is super skinny because of low flow, turn up the flow and it'll thicken right back up. And I can fix the slimer, just chop it off at the base and I'll find it a new home in M's tank. ;)

Does Bacter Clean keep the glass clean?

That edgeless is sort of like a concept I had about a tall tank in the center of a shallow lagoon tank. But it gets a little silly.

Does Bacter Clean keep the glass clean?

That edgeless is sort of like a concept I had about a tall tank in the center of a shallow lagoon tank. But it gets a little silly.

It should. Long term usage makes the tank pristine, and towards ULNS levels, but that isn't my goal so I use it sporadically.

• Like 1
StinkyBunny

My Emporer LOVES majano anemones, I mean she'll seek them out like a missile. I have a friend that has them pop up in his tank and he brings them to me for her to dispatch, then he gets his rock back, lol.

• Like 3

the edge?

Sorry, I was referring to the edgeless tank. With the water running up and over the algae would populate on both sides. If snails would be on the outside it would disrupt the water making it splash on the way down. Leaving you with manual removal.

• Like 1

Love the acro pics and good health they are showing. I still don't have the colors but the growth, good grief I forgot how fast these can grow when conditions are right.

• Like 1