Cultivated Reef

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

Love the top down shots! Everything looks filled in nicely from that angle!! I love your PSW in those shots also. He is like "why are you up there?'" o.O

:o

I can always send you more of Kat's Greenies.

What are Kat's Greenies? How long do you think the Grandis Palys take to get as large as yours? Mine are much smaller than yours appear to be still.

jedimasterben

:o

I can always send you more of Kat's Greenies.

:lol:

Nah, that was just one of the four or so polyps. Plus the one that MikeTR sent me. Now if I could just get that stupid Kat's green nephthea to survive, that'd be great.

Love the top down shots! Everything looks filled in nicely from that angle!! I love your PSW in those shots also. He is like "why are you up there?'" o.O

What are Kat's Greenies? How long do you think the Grandis Palys take to get as large as yours? Mine are much smaller than yours appear to be still.

Not all strains get quite the same size, though as of now they're all the same species.

• Like 1

Hey Merthy!! How are ya?

Thanks, it looks entirely different from the top. Also I'm not sure how people get killer top down shots. I took this without T5s and with my cell phone but even so, I wish there was a better color to it.

That is a Golden Rhomboid wrasse. He answers to "Apollo" :lol:. He's my bad-ass addition to the tank. He had a girlfriend but she didn't make it past QT. :(

Kat's Greenies are the Grandis Palys. Markalot comes up with the best names for my corals. :D

In terms of size per polyp, mine were kind of large to begin with and they do shrink and extend as the day goes by I have noticed.

Chromis vindis, Blue/Green Reef Chromis, are $6 at live aquaria. I got a dozen small ones three years ago. During the first year, I lost six. I have had the the last six for two years with no loses. They are an excellent dither fish and are peaceful to other fish. Amongst each other, there is slight aggression but nobody seems to suffer for it.

That is good to know. I always thought they killed each other till one was left.

• Like 1

:lol:

Nah, that was just one of the four or so polyps. Plus the one that MikeTR sent me. Now if I could just get that stupid Kat's green nephthea to survive, that'd be great.

Not all strains get quite the same size, though as of now they're all the same species.

That does make sense. So there is no telling how big or small mine will get overtime. :) They are very pretty anyway.

Hey Merthy!! How are ya?

Thanks, it looks entirely different from the top. Also I'm not sure how people get killer top down shots. I took this without T5s and with my cell phone but even so, I wish there was a better color to it.

That is a Golden Rhomboid wrasse. He answers to "Apollo" :lol:. He's my bad-ass addition to the tank. He had a girlfriend but she didn't make it past QT. :(

Kat's Greenies are the Grandis Palys. Markalot comes up with the best names for my corals. :D

In terms of size per polyp, mine were kind of large to begin with and they do shrink and extend as the day goes by I have noticed.

That is good to know. I always thought they killed each other till one was left.

Hey I'm great! How are you? I had to go back and look at the little wrasse, he is adorable! But I can see a few differences. :lol: I'm not sure I've ever even heard of that particular type of wrasse. Apollo is a great name for him :D

The only top down shots that I like to take are on my picotope since it is so shallow. I cannot get nearly as nice of pictures as some people though. It is on my list of things to work on.

Kat's Greenies.

28488313282_3cadc59124_k.jpg

:o Wow. Yeah yours look way better than the 3 I have right now. I'm thinking they are probably still recovering from the move though! fingerscrossed

• Like 1

The decline and recovery of my Strawberry shortcake

April 22

26582435955_dcc1e1906d_k.jpg

June 13

27581289611_72920156cd_k.jpg

July 19 (it fell into a rock nem and burnt itself)

28311749792_b24406ea98_k.jpg

July 27

28488321812_b2e676adbd_k.jpg

Still a long way off from where I want it to be but recovering.

• Like 6

Still trying to get a correct ID on this SPS. The choice is between Echinata and Turaki. The growth pattern is bushy instead of long branches so that makes it difficult.

May 16

26450675913_7f8b4ca43f_k.jpg

July 19

28383504066_cc9910c0e7_k.jpg

Today

27994479963_72ede29fd6_k.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks, Madam. It looks great, and allows you to see depth a little differently. looks like your ?phoenix? monti is putting on a good deal of growth as well.

• Like 1

Thanks, Madam. It looks great, and allows you to see depth a little differently. looks like your ?phoenix? monti is putting on a good deal of growth as well.

Yes it's growing well but it keeps getting moved. Currently it is on the sand bed, need to move some corals around to find the best spot for it. Maybe that clam stage I made, it has partial shading from the Katropora - this coral doesn't like too much light so that can work.

StinkyBunny

I was breaking rocks apart yesterday and accidentally squished one of mine lol.

Not too bright for a white boy are ya? :P I got no time for funerals and no money for flowers.

Geez. Those huge palys. :wub:

They are nice and the damn things spread like wildfire in a dirty tank, Kat's tank's too clean. We now have 6, lol.

• Like 2

Still trying to get a correct ID on this SPS. The choice is between Echinata and Turaki. The growth pattern is bushy instead of long branches so that makes it difficult.

May 16

26450675913_7f8b4ca43f_k.jpg

July 19

28383504066_cc9910c0e7_k.jpg

Today

27994479963_72ede29fd6_k.jpg

Possibly, but corallites looks a bit on the short side to be a true echinata. How big is that colony? Might revisit down the line as it grows larger.

Here's an old pic of my icefire colony back in the day for reference. Approximately 5" across from left to right.

icefire_echinata_062308.jpg

Here's the tip of a mother colony. It was in agentsps' tank, which was on the order of ~240g. Colony easily measured 18"+ across.

D2X_1737.jpg

• Like 3

I think that is the most exciting line of imagines I've seen... How can you look at that and not think party!! Have a blast Kat

• Like 1
JavaJacketOC

Did your FoxFace croak? The one I picked up a few weeks ago is getting thin, not eating much and I'm pretty sure is gonna kick the bucket. I treated with Prazi and was doing fine for the first couple weeks so not sure what the issue is :( I picked up another, smaller one yesterday. Looks like it's got some weight on it so hoping at least one makes it.

JavaJacketOC

She traded it in and got a yellow tang this time....if I remember correctly.

She traded Smudge for a smaller one that went MIA, not sure if it was actually confirmed as a goner but I expect it is :(

StinkyBunny

The Hamptons for the weekend :)

I hope you said that with pinky extended, if not, you're no hoidey toidey which is just fine by me. ;):D

I keep tellin' y'all that those damn long nose Foxface are trouble. if you want algae eating machines, Orange Spots or Scribbled Foxface are the bee's knees.

• Like 2

The Hamptons for the weekend :)

Every time I hear 'Hamptons' I think of the movie White Chicks lol. Hope you have a fantastic time Kat :),

• Like 2