Pod Your Reef

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

it won't. But the tank is already at 80 degrees

Question on this.

Are you getting this reading from just the apex probe in your sump, or is there also monitoring in the display? The reason I ask is because your stand looks to be fairly closed in with little room for air circulation just like my 20 was. The apex would read 80-81 but in the display it was at 78, so I would open the door to let the heat out of the stand and the apex reading would come down to what the display was reading. Later I added the CPU fan pulling air out of the stand and all was well .

Just a thought.

Oh and I keep my house at 68* for those keeping score

• Like 1

The cabinet doors are open most of the time. I also have always had a fan blowing at the surface of the fuge during summer months, Co trolled by the apex. I have yet to install that or the cabinet venting fans.

Rags to riches.

A Kat remnant Dec 2014

20141227_140636.jpg

Jan 2015

20150104_132119-1.jpg

Today

20150513_075214.jpg

Hey there Kat,

I've really been thinking about ordering the UC Ice Tenuis. How long have you had it? What is your opinion on the blue compared to the vermiculata?

Mr Scope, got the Vermiculata in Jan

This is a picture showing 2 of them, both from UC. The one in the front is the picture I posted on the previous page, it was still a great blue when I got it, but I think my potassium and lugols dosing has made the color pop. The Vermiculata on the back was a pretty light blue when I got it . Now it has a purple tinge and deeper blue.

20150112_200333.jpg

Close up of the super blue from January

20150116_185351_1.jpg

Feb

20150208_102134.jpg

Edit - they both don't look like vermiculata but were sold to me as such.

• Like 3
hypostatic

Hypo's links roundup

TEA TUESDAY (brought to you on Wed) -- MATCHA:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/05/12/404234052/tea-tuesdays-matcha-maker-matcha-maker-make-me-some-tea?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20150512

From AA: Feeding Acropora helps them handle elevated temperatures and CO2

Also AA: Coral Nutrition, Part Three: Amino Acids and Comments on Amino Acid Supplements

I feel a little bit like Reef Gardner in these photos :lol:

The blue is incredible in these corals

UC Super Blue Vermiculata

Veng LE Blue Acropora

UC Ice Tenuis

Oh, are these those blue sticks you wanted to get?

• Like 2

Oh, are these those blue sticks you wanted to get?

None of them are the Oregon tort. Although I do have an Oregon tort in the tank. :ninja:

Officially at 50% LEDs!!!! Ramp-up to this point has taken about 2 months.

• Like 2

Nice links Hypo - thanks

Thanks 7. How are you? What's happening?

Not much really, the tank I set up a while back is nice and stable although haven't added much lately. And I got a new puppy. Other than that same old how's about you mam?

Puppy? :wub:

I'm good, 2 more weeks before a 2 week work trip. Summer is here - not my favorite time, but I hope to be more social this time around.

Reef-life is good, I enjoy my nook, sitting and watching the fish swim. The diversity of the animals in the tank amazes me.

• Like 1

none

Your sand must be so dirty lol.

If i went with sand, which i havent decided yet, i want like 2 or 3 sand sifting fish. Ontop of snails and other sand stirrers.

Puppy? :wub:

I'm good, 2 more weeks before a 2 week work trip. Summer is here - not my favorite time, but I hope to be more social this time around.

Reef-life is good, I enjoy my nook, sitting and watching the fish swim. The diversity of the animals in the tank amazes me.

Yea I hear ya. The nook business is really nice I would do the same. Mines down in the living room area on a desk so I can sit and look at it.

Yes new puppy,although he's a big boy so he doesn't really look like one haha.

• Like 1

Your sand must be so dirty lol.

If i went with sand, which i havent decided yet, i want like 2 or 3 sand sifting fish. Ontop of snails and other sand stirrers.

I went with zombie snails for this reason (nasarrius), they bury in the substrate and come out when the tank is fed. I have probably 25 of these of various sizes, 3 are jumbo, 3 medium and the rest are the vibex.

I've tried a sand sifting star in the RSM twice, given the sheer amount of detritus in my tank, I don't know why they didn't survive, so I am hesitant to try again even though I really would like to have them.

I've taken to siphoning the sand bed into a sock at least once a month, sometimes 2. I find that it helps a lot, this is basic maintenance that Nano Sapiens advocates. He is right.

Fighting conch turns the sandbed over a lot too.

The only sand sifting fish I can think of that cleans the whole tank is a sleeper goby and those require large reefs. The others clean around their burrow mostly.

I went with zombie snails for this reason (nasarrius), they bury in the substrate and come out when the tank is fed. I have probably 25 of these of various sizes, 3 are jumbo, 3 medium and the rest are the vibex.

I've tried a sand sifting star in the RSM twice, given the sheer amount of detritus in my tank, I don't know why they didn't survive, so I am hesitant to try again even though I really would like to have them.

I've taken to siphoning the sand bed into a sock at least once a month, sometimes 2. I find that it helps a lot, this is basic maintenance that Nano Sapiens advocates. He is right.

Fighting conch turns the sandbed over a lot too.

The only sand sifting fish I can think of that cleans the whole tank is a sleeper goby and those require large reefs. The others clean around their burrow mostly.

Yea i was planning on nassarius, i have them in my tank now even though its BB.

They do only clean around their burrow but thats why i thought of like 2-3 of them. That ontop of snails and a siphon every two weeks i figured id be able to keep it decently clean.

Orrr i can just go BB and not worry about it lol <_<

Yea i was planning on nassarius, i have them in my tank now even though its BB.

They do only clean around their burrow but thats why i thought of like 2-3 of them. That ontop of snails and a siphon every two weeks i figured id be able to keep it decently clean.

Orrr i can just go BB and not worry about it lol <_<

Live-Aquaria lists 3 gobies that don't get too large (and are the roaming kinds they say). I've personally seen the sleeper goby get a lot bigger than 5 inches at the LFS so I'm not sure of the species they list is a different one or what.

Live-Aquaria lists 3 gobies that don't get too large (and are the roaming kinds they say). I've personally seen the sleeper goby get a lot bigger than 5 inches at the LFS so I'm not sure of the species they list is a different one or what.

Hmm idk ill see. Still havent decided if its worth even getting sand again. BB is just so much easier.

• Like 1

I need a better fuge management system. Some macros need to be tumbled, some are creepers. When they are all together, the creepers latch on to the tumblers and it's one big ball of color.

20150513_095823.jpg

The powerhead in there routinely clogs up with broken bits that results when I separate the macros. Need to trim the caulerpa.

• Like 5

Yo hook me up wit some of those sweet macros :happy:

Hows that sponge doing?

why dont you make sections with egg crate to separate the macros

When you trim those ochtodes let me know :)

They're the ones that need more space, the soap dish is jammed, they won't grow faster till they get more flow

Just spent an hour housekeeping.

The greens (creepers except the chaeto) were trimmed and put in a net. The red now can tumble. And the blue and red that are stickers are in the soap dish. Need a bigger soap dish.

20150513_110357.jpg

Hows that sponge doing?

why dont you make sections with egg crate to separate the macros

The sponge is doing fine. It has not grown, in fact it has gotten smaller but now does not seem to be getting smaller. I just put a piece in the skimmer compartment, if it doesn't need too much light I'll move all of it there.

I think I might make an eggcrate cage for the stickers, they need flow and the soap dish is not ideal.

• Like 1

Japanese pistol is NOT happy that I re-arranged the fuge.

Why are they in a soap dish?

Oh, nvm, I see now :P

They need to stick to something to grow. If they're not in the dish they'll stick to the other macros.

Fuge powerhead is soaking in vinegar, was nasty and totally jammed. That Dyson guy needs to make an aquarium pump that "won't loose suction". Just saying.

• Like 2

Hey Kat, before you go crazy lowering the alkalinity in your tank.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/5/aafeature

Thanks Pico, Benny shared that article with me earlier. I haven't read it yet but I'm not going crazy lowering alk. I've maintained NSW-ish levels for about 6 months but have been wanting to get it to about 9ish. I figure I'll be there by tomorrow then I'll turn on the doser again

oh, actually, it's 9.2 now. cool.

picoreef78

They had it pretty high, and the result was not what they were testing for but it is interesting read. Food for thought.