inTank Media Baskets

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

picoreef78

Looking good!!

Anything wrong with the stock Cacdlights PLS 100? That is one big mother of a foam fractionator. Did you get the 18 gallon sump?

Looking good!!

Anything wrong with the stock Cacdlights PLS 100? That is one big mother of a foam fractionator. Did you get the 18 gallon sump?

The sump is 18G I think, it's custom dimensions but about what they provide anyway. I had them put custom baffles too. I am only familiar with the Elite skimmer CAD offers, it didn't work on my tank, but then it needed a longer break in period. The person who has it now says it works well for them.

Dingbat decided to come out of his cave

20150510_143338.jpg

• Like 4
picoreef78

I kept the PLS 100, work well most of the tim. (sometimes it decides to just bubble up water) and keeps my levels at 0. Though getting some Cyano and Bubble, but I left the Bio pellet factor off when I was moving some the the plugs around in the back to clean up.

Love the crab!

• Like 1

RAWR

NY Red Bulls vs NYCFC

Die suckers!!!!

1st ever Hudson River Derby :D

Oi Oi Oi !!!

Give it a few years and it'll be even bigger and better.

1st ever Hudson River Derby :D

Oi Oi Oi !!!

Give it a few years and it'll be even bigger and better.

people almost got into fist fights. NYCFC had a whole 1500 people parade/contingent. Hooligans.

• Like 1

The Katropora

So these cellphone pictures represent the sum total of all the Kat coral in my tank. You can argue that I have plenty to frag given the waitlist for this critter but I've never liked to frag the Kat to begin with and I'm hesitant to start till I have at least double this much coral with me.

20150511_134625.jpg

20150511_134554.jpg

The biggest piece, below, was my grow-out colony and was doing fine until a few weeks ago when it started browning out. I thought it was phosphates or low light. Parts of it were still green but the tips had started to get turd. Markalot suggested an inspection and to my horror I found Flatworms. The reef Gods gave me a break however when it appeared that they were just the stupid FW that smother corals, NOT AEFW. Thank you thank you thank you Reef Gods. No bite marks, just unhappy smothered tips.

Several dips and inspections later (which totally stress out the coral BTW) the colony is coloring back up nicely.

20150511_134500.jpg

Tips getting back to colorful, and this pic shows their structure too

20150511_134517.jpg

And just when things looks smooth, my test results today have been stupid. I started seeing burnt tips on the Kittiyagi so Alk tested high.

I also discovered schmutz in my red sea nitrate test kit which could explain my crazy nitrate readings. I emailed Red Sea about it.

20150511_123743.jpg

• Like 1

Cal 250

Alk 12.3

Mag 1000

Nitrate 3.5

Phos 0.16

Alright, LFS tested my water with Red Sea kits.

Calcium 350

Alk 9

Magnesium 1120

Nitrate 20

Phosphate 0

ph 8.2

Errbady's been harping on me for parameters. This is for you harpies. :lol:

Tests are wacky.

ALK

Red Sea Alk 7.6

New Red Sea kit Alk 6.4

CALCIUM

Red Sea Cal 370

New Red Sea kit 420

MAGNESIUM

Red Sea Mag 1000 (did test twice second time 1040)

New Red Sea kit 1120

Salifert Mag 1470

PHOS

Salifert Phosphate between 0.03 and 0.10

Red Sea phosphate 0.36

NITRATE

Salifert Nitrate between 5 and 10

Red Sea Nitrate 2ppm

So these cellphone pictures represent the sum total of all the Kat coral in my tank. You can argue that I have plenty to frag given the waitlist for this critter but I've never liked to frag the Kat to begin with and I'm hesitant to start till I have at least double this much coral with me.

The longer you go without fragging it, the more supply there will be in the long run. Larger coral colonies produce more frags in a month than a smaller colony. Let it grow and grow and then when you don't know what to do with it anymore, then start to frag again.

• Like 5

people almost got into fist fights. NYCFC had a whole 1500 people parade/contingent. Hooligans.

I have a nice little scar on my hair line from the Tejano Classico (FC DULLASS vs Houston DYNAMO) match when a white lilly bastard threw a bottle at us as we marched out of their stadium with a win and popped off ORange smoke in their house.. We tend to out # their Holligans 5 to 1 when we invade their pitch back in the good old days.. :D

• Like 1

How in the world did params get that far out of whack.?

Calcium container was empty.

ALK seems to be a 2 fold problem, the doser was set to high, but also the new solution I made is good. I find that over time the alk settles on the bottom of my containers or precipitates or something, so it seems like towards the end of the solution, it becomes weaker. So when I test it shows lower alk, so I increase dosing time, then when i put in new solution, the increased dosing time with new solution gave the higher alk.

Mag has been at 1000 for a bit.

Nitrate and Phosphate are in flux. I don't know why. Phosphate can be explained with me taking GFO offline when it tested 0 at the LFS. Plus I dosed phosphate to get it back up.

• Like 1