inTank Media Baskets

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

Why didn't anybody think of this gadget before?!

20150516_163350.jpg

20150516_163914.jpg

I was looking at this, frankly the fact that it has a magnet instead of a suction cup and comes apart for cleaning makes it easily worth $25 to me, wish it wasn't bright blue though.

Dimensions seem small but sometimes that's deceptive, is it obtrusive (I have a 40B)?

I also have cryptic fish (gobies mostly) that only eat if the food comes to them. I watched the vids of course but doesn't show if food can escape easily enough to slowly disperse through the tank???

I have a Gyre too but I have it 1-2 inches below water level so I would have to place this next to it or further away in the tank. Idk.

Also they have made a veggie feeder and flake/pellet food grinder, one of the vendors is selling the set of 3 for $70, saves some $$$ if you'll use them all. (SaltwaterAquarium.com)

I was looking at this, frankly the fact that it has a magnet instead of a suction cup and comes apart for cleaning makes it easily worth $25 to me, wish it wasn't bright blue though.

Dimensions seem small but sometimes that's deceptive, is it obtrusive (I have a 40B)?

I also have cryptic fish (gobies mostly) that only eat if the food comes to them. I watched the vids of course but doesn't show if food can escape easily enough to slowly disperse through the tank???

I have a Gyre too but I have it 1-2 inches below water level so I would have to place this next to it or further away in the tank. Idk.

Also they have made a veggie feeder and flake/pellet food grinder, one of the vendors is selling the set of 3 for $70, saves some $$$ if you'll use them all. (SaltwaterAquarium.com)

You can play around with the position of the feeder to see what works best. It feeds as slowly or quickly as you like, the perforations that allow the food to drop down is twistable. So you can have it fully open or partially closed - i think that depends on the size of the foods you want to feed also. Mine is set somewhere at mid point. Instead of having the cube of food floating about or doing the thaw in cup thing, this feeder does it for me.

As for cryptic gobies, those guys are best target fed, this will disperse food in your tank but is not a substitute for target feeding.

Size wise it is a clear plastic except for the blue band, I have it on the overflow side so it's not visible against the overflow. In a completely clear and equipment free tank it would be a different story maybe.

Tanks looking great Kat!

Thanks Alex!! :)

• Like 1
picoreef78

How do you like unique corals? I have been eying A. microclados (A. latisella looks good too) and of course your A. subulata as my final must have corals (for now). I have been tossing around ordering from them next paycheck.

How do you like unique corals? I have been eying A. microclados (A. latisella looks good too) and of course your A. subulata as my final must have corals (for now). I have been tossing around ordering from them next paycheck.

Good quality - flawless customer service and really low shipping. The frags aren't boggers either.

• Like 1
Pinner Reef

Maybe this is my cheap self being cheap but I just stick the frozen chunk of food to my powerhead's intake and use that to thaw/disperse the foods. That seems a bit overkill.

Maybe this is my cheap self being cheap but I just stick the frozen chunk of food to my powerhead's intake and use that to thaw/disperse the foods. That seems a bit overkill.

I do did that too. This way I don't need to dunk my hand in and get it wet. Also where I have the feeder positioned is under a tear in the screen cover of the tank. Take the pack of cubes out of the freezer, break a cube straight from the pack into the feeder - done.

Added bonus - i don't have to shut off the Gyre or the return pump at feeding time.

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Ehh sticking them on the powerhead will probably shread the food and send it to the bottom

This is a more gentle way; you can activate feed mode (Or reduce powerheads), and just toss in a cube. The (whole) pieces of food come slowly down, making it a cleaner and (IMO) prettier feeding.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

I'm kinda lost with the frozen food feeder. I thought everyone rinsed out their frozen food while thawing (esp. PE Mysis) before adding it to their tank so that excess nutrients aren't added.

TheKleinReef

I'm kinda lost with the frozen food feeder. I thought everyone rinsed out their frozen food while thawing (esp. PE Mysis) before adding it to their tank so that excess nutrients aren't added.

nahhh, dump it all in! :D

• Like 4

Rinsing doesn't really make much of a difference.

I need to pick up one of those fish defrosters.

You froze your fish? :wacko:

• Like 2
jedimasterben

Nope, you're throwing away coral food at that point!

Seems to be a day for videos. My sharknose goby has been digging a burrow today. I didn't know this species of fish did that so I was surprised and managed to catch it on video. He's still at it.

• Like 8

Seems to be a day for videos. My sharknose goby has been digging a burrow today. I didn't know this species of fish did that so I was surprised and managed to catch it on video. He's still at it.

that seems like an extremely inefficient and exhausting way to dig a burrow lol

Goby is cute :) I love these little guys, I want, but I'm afraid someone will eat them in my tank. They aren't much bigger than the PE mysis lol.

• Like 1

Goby is cute :) I love these little guys, I want, but I'm afraid someone will eat them in my tank. They aren't much bigger than the PE mysis lol.

You'll be surprised at the Napoleon complex the neon gobies have, they aren't afraid of anybody. My little fish is always mauling the rabbit, every single day nibbling on his skin for parasites.