Pod Your Reef

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

#hatersgonnahate

You excited for vacation?

lol the way I seen it, it was 20,030 likes. Talking about vacation, I'm free in 2 weeks, July 3 last school day this year.

Man imma kill myself with boredom. Every series I watch has either had a season finale or a sudden series finale.

Revenge

Scandal

The Following

Nashville

The night shift

Grimm

Gotham

Secrets and Lies

Madam secretary.

Game of thrones is so disappointing this season .

Penny dreadful hasn't been as riveting as season 1.

Orphan Black is good but not like the last few seasons.

Bored. So bored. i tried to get into Bad Judge but it is so over the top that I don't find it funny.

#hatersgonnahate

You excited for vacation?

Very, so much to do before I leave and so little time. Luckily I've got the tank maintenance out of the way so it should be all good. No plans to be connected for the trip which makes it all the better.

New Video

Was much better quality till I allowed you tube to "stabilize" it. Oh well.

Love the diversity kat.....its such a party in there! It just really looks fantastic... Even with the setbacks you put your big girl heels on and took it to another level...very proud of you :happy:

• Like 2

Love the diversity kat.....its such a party in there! It just really looks fantastic... Even with the setbacks you put your big girl heels on and took it to another level...very proud of you :happy:

:wub: Thank you thank you. I cry and I pour some wine when things go south (okay not really but it's a good visual), but in the end the joy this hobby and my tank brings me is worth the fight.

SNF01CAT1---_1519502a.jpg

Man imma kill myself with boredom. Every series I watch has either had a season finale or a sudden series finale.

Revenge

Scandal

The Following

Nashville

The night shift

Grimm

Gotham

Secrets and Lies

Madam secretary.

Game of thrones is so disappointing this season .

Penny dreadful hasn't been as riveting as season 1.

Orphan Black is good but not like the last few seasons.

Bored. So bored. i tried to get into Bad Judge but it is so over the top that I don't find it funny.

Time for a good book. How about the "Luminaries" ..E. Catton

Start a Kats book club

Slowtwitch

Hey Kat, I read in your TOTM write up that you use Xenia for nutrient export in your refugium. How well does that work in your experience? I have some started on several frag plugs that I was thinking of putting into my fuge for this purpose. However, if it isn't real effective, I will take it to my LFS and trade it for something better.

Hey Kat, I read in your TOTM write up that you use Xenia for nutrient export in your refugium. How well does that work in your experience? I have some started on several frag plugs that I was thinking of putting into my fuge for this purpose. However, if it isn't real effective, I will take it to my LFS and trade it for something better.

Well, the questions is, how can I know whether it is effective or not unless I had a lab and tested it - controls and all. Plus I'd have to know what I was doing which might involve a science degree of some sort. :P I went to school for fashion design yo! :)

Xenia are known to enjoy dirty water. What that tells me is that the high nutrients allow it to grow and thrive. They were growing very well both in the DT and the fuge, I would routinely peel off a stalk or two and throw it in the fuge. ( I have to also say that in my short life as a reef enthusiast, there hasn't been any coral that I have not had success with - except riccordea mushrooms. So there is something to be said about nutrient rich water and coral happiness)

Something to consider is that xenia is a good indicator of nutrients. Some folks can't get it to grow no matter what, chances are chaeto doesn't grow for them either. My chaeto was mostly in the dark and the same ball of chaeto is what I have currently 3 years later (trimmed often of course). Once Xenia takes off you will have plenty to trade at the LFS anyway.

I don't think I answered your question except to say I like Xenia. :flower:

Time for a good book. How about the "Luminaries" ..E. Catton

Start a Kats book club

But that would need to be reef books. I have a few but I think the best read is the forums, peoples experiences, questions that make you think.

We're actually gonna go cold water snorkling in AK. I bought some underwater disposable cameras, we'll see how those turn out.

I can't wait to see the results. Hypo has some great underwater shots. His camera is waterproof but he said he goes very slowly and patiently close to take a picture. Take a deep breath.

And if you see a whale with barnacles - please give it a good scratch - i hate those parasitic bastards.

UNDA DA SEE

Quite possibly the cutest post evar.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

And if you see a whale with barnacles - please give it a good scratch - i hate those parasitic bastards.

I don't think barnacles can help where they settle. What if it were corals that settled there, would you feel the same way?

I don't think barnacles can help where they settle. What if it were corals that settled there, would you feel the same way?

:rolleyes: I hate barnacles. Deal with it.

Cried when I saw my the first documentary of those poor whales infested with barnacles. For real. Hated them ever since.

And I have a barnacle cluster in my tank, considering I can see how huge these things are - it makes me double mad for those poor itchy whales.

DSC_0212.jpg

jedimasterben

:rolleyes: I hate barnacles. Deal with it.

Cried when I saw my the first documentary of those poor whales infested with barnacles. For real. Hated them ever since.

And I have a barnacle cluster in my tank, considering I can see how huge these things are - it makes me double mad for those poor itchy whales.

DSC_0212.jpg

Think of all the barnacle sex that the whale gets to take part in, though.

Well, the questions is, how can I know whether it is effective or not unless I had a lab and tested it - controls and all. Plus I'd have to know what I was doing which might involve a science degree of some sort. :P I went to school for fashion design yo! :)

Xenia are known to enjoy dirty water. What that tells me is that the high nutrients allow it to grow and thrive. They were growing very well both in the DT and the fuge, I would routinely peel off a stalk or two and throw it in the fuge. ( I have to also say that in my short life as a reef enthusiast, there hasn't been any coral that I have not had success with - except riccordea mushrooms. So there is something to be said about nutrient rich water and coral happiness)

Something to consider is that xenia is a good indicator of nutrients. Some folks can't get it to grow no matter what, chances are chaeto doesn't grow for them either. My chaeto was mostly in the dark and the same ball of chaeto is what I have currently 3 years later (trimmed often of course). Once Xenia takes off you will have plenty to trade at the LFS anyway.

I don't think I answered your question except to say I like Xenia. :flower:

I wonder if it might be so simple as to test the water going into the fuge for nitrates, phosphates, or whatever other kind of 'ates these guys might absorb. Then test the water coming out of the fuge on the other side and see how much of the nasty is being pulled out. I've been meaning to conduct this very precise and scientific experiment, but I'm dreadfully lazy when it comes to testing parameters.