Coral Vue Hydros

12G Long Nano Reef - Tank Crash & Recovery!!

MrNanoReef

Thanks guy. It's pretty much gone. I'm just waiting to see if they reappear, there still a few strain on a the sandbed that I can't get to that I'm afraid will seed the new growth, if they do reappear, I will have to replace sandbed as well.

I plan on doing a plumbing for a sump so I will have to get everything out of the tank temporarily for drilling.

Anyone can help me with the plumbing part? I have no idea what size holes I need for drain and output, as well plumbing config hardware. My first time doing a bottom sump.

Working on a custom stand right now :)

17041903956_b4193a0b0a_c.jpg16881652359_feb21f5ccc_c.jpg

• Like 1

Wow just stunning... Gives me great ideas for my 4ft long nano

Thanks. I love your custom tank dimensions :) Can't wait to see what you'll do with it.

Bryopsis sucks, glad to hear you beat it.

Thanks, still checking for re-appearance but so far has gone.

• Like 1

How high is the stand? Mine is about 43" and I think it's perfect.

Mine is 36", its about my reach in the tank for cleaning without having to bend down or stand on something :)

Thanks. I love your custom tank dimensions :) Can't wait to see what you'll do with it

Thank you, it's taking it time but I no it will b worth it in the end. I got so many ideas I just want the the tank cycling lol

• Like 2

Thanks guy. It's pretty much gone. I'm just waiting to see if they reappear, there still a few strain on a the sandbed that I can't get to that I'm afraid will seed the new growth, if they do reappear, I will have to replace sandbed as well.

I plan on doing a plumbing for a sump so I will have to get everything out of the tank temporarily for drilling.

Anyone can help me with the plumbing part? I have no idea what size holes I need for drain and output, as well plumbing config hardware. My first time doing a bottom sump.

Working on a custom stand right now :)

17041903956_b4193a0b0a_c.jpg16881652359_feb21f5ccc_c.jpg

Wana build me a custom stand once yours Is done, I have had so much trouble trying to get one sorted

• Like 1

Wana build me a custom stand once yours Is done, I have had so much trouble trying to get one sorted

Sure, if you come to the US, i'll give you a hand and you can help me drill the tank :)

Got the stand frame done.

16893037540_facc9900a6_c.jpg

Sure, if you come to the US, i'll give you a hand and you can help me drill the tank :)

Got the stand frame done.

16893037540_facc9900a6_c.jpg

Lol I'll b on the nxt flight out...... Looking gd wish I had the confidence to do my own

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

damn bryopsis strands keep coming back :furious::angry: , I'm gonna gun it again today with peroxide, this is so frustrated seeing to many beautiful tanks.

Sorry bout the bryopsis :/

But the stand looks awesome man,I love the Mr aqua 12 they have a bad ass footprint.

yeah it sucks man, been battling it for over 3 months

The stand is almost done, i just need to build the doors and it's done.

• Like 1

Just keep at it man,I always have algae on my sand bed but it's been getting better since I've increased siphoning the bed and changing water more,it's mostly cause I heavy feed my tank fish and coral alike
  • Like 1

Are you spot treating or dipping the bryopsis rocks?

I was spot treating and they kept coming back after a while. I just moved my tank and took the opportunity to dip entire rocks in a peroxide/sw solution. Hopefully this way works haha.

• Like 1
chironerd21

I had byprosis before, but lucky for me it was when my tank was empty and was cycling.

I tried everything from hydrogen peroxide dosing to black out.

After intensive research I came to two conclusions, Algae FX (claims to kill Byprosis) and Kent Tech M dosing.

I went with Kent Tech M since more people tried this method over the decade than the new Algae FX product. All my byprosis is gone, but I still use Kent Tech M to maintain my Mg levels at 1350 ppm instead of other products. There is an impurity in the Tech M that kills byprosis.

There is a write up somewhere on how to dose Kent Tech M. If you can set up a holding tank for your corals and especially snails then you should move it there. You would need to use Kent Tech M to raise the Mg level up to 1800 ppm over a week (this was the sweet spot) for like couple weeks. Watch for any changes in byprosis. once it starts dying/disappearing, hold the 1800 ppm for another week. Then slowly bring it back down over a 2-3 week period to 1350 ppm.

I have read many people did this with livestock in their tanks. Corals/fish have no issues if you increase your Mg levels slowly to 1800ppm. The snails might die though.

• Like 1

I had byprosis before, but lucky for me it was when my tank was empty and was cycling.

I tried everything from hydrogen peroxide dosing to black out.

After intensive research I came to two conclusions, Algae FX (claims to kill Byprosis) and Kent Tech M dosing.

I went with Kent Tech M since more people tried this method over the decade than the new Algae FX product. All my byprosis is gone, but I still use Kent Tech M to maintain my Mg levels at 1350 ppm instead of other products. There is an impurity in the Tech M that kills byprosis.

There is a write up somewhere on how to dose Kent Tech M. If you can set up a holding tank for your corals and especially snails then you should move it there. You would need to use Kent Tech M to raise the Mg level up to 1800 ppm over a week (this was the sweet spot) for like couple weeks. Watch for any changes in byprosis. once it starts dying/disappearing, hold the 1800 ppm for another week. Then slowly bring it back down over a 2-3 week period to 1350 ppm.

I have read many people did this with livestock in their tanks. Corals/fish have no issues if you increase your Mg levels slowly to 1800ppm. The snails might die though.

Tech-M didn't work for me, but someone pointed out that I might have been mistaken it for cladophora which is almost identical to tell apart. I wish I can move the livestock out but I have no holding tanks or have the luxury of maintenance one right now.

ouch got a picture or updates?

No new pics, still looks bad though, but its amazing how LPS are holding up well, frogspawn/hammer/torch/canes are doing great.

Are you spot treating or dipping the bryopsis rocks?

I was spot treating and they kept coming back after a while. I just moved my tank and took the opportunity to dip entire rocks in a peroxide/sw solution. Hopefully this way works haha.

Yeah, on the few strands that keep coming back, but lately I haven't keep at it, been busy with some custom acrylic works.

Yeah, on the few strands that keep coming back, but lately I haven't keep at it, been busy with some custom acrylic works.

Well...I see bryopsis starting again on some rocks so the full dip didn't work. This stuff is crazy.

• Like 1

Well...I see bryopsis starting again on some rocks so the full dip didn't work. This stuff is crazy.

Exactly, now just spot kill and scrape the roots off the rocks and hope it doesn't come back on a new area

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
MrNanoReef

I went to Petco for a turbo snail, came home with this guy, I didn't know what type of fish but he is too pretty to pass and sale guy gave me a $9.99 price for a scooter blenny plus 10% off coupon I had...haha and I knew he's gotta worth a lot more.

Turns out its a Neon Dottyback, what a beautiful fish and an aggressive lil bastard but he's very small only 1.5" and now in the frag tank by himself :)

p-72407-neon.jpg

• Like 2
MrNanoReef

It turned out what I had weren't bryopsis but cladophora, which explained Tech-M didn't work for me. Once I found out, I dose API Algea Fix and they're slowly dying for sure, I can clearly see them turning yellow, then white, and dying in a few days...woohoo! I think I might have won the battle after all.

Its been a few months, how about some new tank shots?

Sorry for the lack of updates, I got caught up in another business doing custom acrylics for nano-reef folks. The tank is doing well and getting back into shape, most corals that made it through the bryopsis battle are recovering well.

I'm happy to say I believe all the bryopsis and cladophora are gone and haven't come back for almost 3 weeks now. Will update FTS soon. Coraline are starting to cover the rocks so it helps covering up area where any strands may still existed and will not be able to grow.

The coolest thing happened last night when I went to feed the fish, I found eggs inside the skin of my toxic hammer :) At first i thought WTH is that!!! I thought they were the clowns eggs but taking a closer look they're actually inside the coral skin...Does that mean there will be baby hammers popping up somewhere soon?

19588513450_1a21a2104e_z.jpg

Gota update FTS... Got my tank up and running now... Finally!

will do soon, glad your tank is finally wet :)

• Like 2