inTank Media Baskets

12G Long Nano Reef - Tank Crash & Recovery!!

MrNanoReef

HI

Tank is looking great. I think I may have too much rock in mine. 1st reef tank. Anyway what is your photoperiod? I noticed you said you are running 100% blue and 70% white. Is that at same time. The people at current usa told me much lower percentages.

What do you think? And how many hours. Any moonlights?

Thanks in advance

Martin

Thanks man. Believe me, i went through 3 rockscapes before the final one. Those are my light setting running at the same time of course. I have it run for 8 hours, 3 hour of moon light (50% blue), switch to refugium light for 8 hours. You want to acclimate your corals to the light over 1 to 2 weeks period with lower setting first, something like 60% blue/30% white, then increase a little bit over time, don't just hit them with that much brightness right off.

Awesome tank I have a 12 gallon long as we'll. I just purchased the same light as well after reading your thread. I have an mp10 placed in the center of the tank, the flow from there reaches around the whole tank. Before that I had placed it on one end but could not get enough flow to the other end.I also was doing biological filtration but had some nitrate issues and currently added an AC20.

post-73220-0-69944500-1421286866_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome tank I have a 12 gallon long as we'll. I just purchased the same light as well after reading your thread. I have an mp10 placed in the center of the tank, the flow from there reaches around the whole tank. Before that I had placed it on one end but could not get enough flow to the other end.I also was doing biological filtration but had some nitrate issues and currently added an AC20.

Nice tank! although that MP10 in the middle is sore eye aesthetically. AC20 won't help with your nitrate, I'd go with something like AC70 or AC110 with AC30's propeller, then stuff with cheato or setup a separate refugium and add some chemi-pure elite/blue. My nitrate always remain 0 even with two weeks WC, i don't even test my water anymore...lol. Also if you add AC70, you'll get more flow out of that end, then you can put your MP10 on the other end.

Thanks for the advice! I keep going back and forth with the mp 10 on we're to place it, but when I had it on one end it was blasting everything that was near it. My Orbit marine light just arrived!!! I also have a clear acrylic cover for top I drilled small holes in it but it is still holding some water from evaporation so I'm not sure if I'm going to leave it on.

Thanks for the advice! I keep going back and forth with the mp 10 on we're to place it, but when I had it on one end it was blasting everything that was near it. My Orbit marine light just arrived!!! I also have a clear acrylic cover for top I drilled small holes in it but it is still holding some water from evaporation so I'm not sure if I'm going to leave it on.

Your MP10 may be too strong, may be switch for WP10, make some money back, WP10 works good for me at the lowest setting. Then I place a 2nd Evo Mag Pico at the other end for more flow. Plus i have refugium outlet that generate flow in the middle so i placement works good for me for flows.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting to see hair algae and some type of hairy red algae in appearing in my rock, how do I get rid of them? I'm guessing this is from too much nitrate/high phosphate?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Again

I have a hair algae in my tank also (mr aqua12) Its not terrible but annoying I'm wondering if its too much light even though people say our orbits are weak.. I also started with dry rock mined inland do you think its phosphates leaking out . That was something I've seen posted here. My numbers are good but truthfully haven't tested for phosphates Have you?

Martin

Hi Again

I have a hair algae in my tank also (mr aqua12) Its not terrible but annoying I'm wondering if its too much light even though people say our orbits are weak.. I also started with dry rock mined inland do you think its phosphates leaking out . That was something I've seen posted here. My numbers are good but truthfully haven't tested for phosphates Have you?

Martin

To be honest, I haven't test for anything in a while. I can see everything is about to take a dive and it's not the lighting, corals start to shrinking up and some looks bleached, I see some bubble algae on rocks I need to manually take the rock out to remove as well...grrrr!!!

I'm taking some action against this, purchased phosguard, Kent Marine Tech-M, API AlgeaFix for Marine, and Red Sea Foundation Kit to test my CA, KH, and monitor MG. I heard good thing about Tech-M to get rid of bryopsis by increasing Magnesium. Algeafix is to get rid of GHA. But i won't be using both at the same time. I'll be dosing Tech-M first.

I do suspect a bio overload probably due to high phosphate and nitrate. I'll be doing a 50% WC today and replace the chemipure elite.

one of the main reasons i had to upgrade

from my 3g to 8g was due to being overrrun

by hair algae, both green and red, as well

as bubble algae. it seriously is not fun. i'd definitely

do something to lower phosphates and nitrates.

likely what is going on.

in 8g, i use chemipure elite now. which has bee

fantastic for me. good luck!

• Like 2

I have been pulling the green hair algae but not getting rid of it completely in 12 long.

Also some kind of redish algae also. I checked levels including phosphates and they are all good. I think I'm going to cut back on length of light in period and reduce intensity. I do have candy cane corals doing good . Small acan frag not really growing and a encrusting montipora also not growing.

I'm thinking of h2o2 dosing to rid algae . Any thoughts.\?

I have been pulling the green hair algae but not getting rid of it completely in 12 long.

Also some kind of redish algae also. I checked levels including phosphates and they are all good. I think I'm going to cut back on length of light in period and reduce intensity. I do have candy cane corals doing good . Small acan frag not really growing and a encrusting montipora also not growing.

I'm thinking of h2o2 dosing to rid algae . Any thoughts.\?

Pics would be nice.

I got my Phosguard, Kent Tech-M, Two Part C-Balance, and Red Sea Foundation Pro Test Kit in. I have tested my CA, KH, and MG. The first two are on the low side (380ppm, 6.2KH) but the latter is in the right range.

Since I have been dosing Two Part C-Balance and Kent Tech-M for the last 7 days, I noticed all bryopsis are turning yellow (dying) which is good and corals are getting better. Yesterday I pulled most of them out manually and I will continue to dosing daily and monitor them until desired level is reach.

My goal to hit MG at ~1500ppm and see if I can get rid of all bryopsis and tiny red algae growing on the rocks and stabilize CA and KH to normal level, I have never dose before which is why they dropped so low.

Additionally I have added a small bag of Phosguard to reduce phosphate, which I will change out every 4-5 days. I don't have any Green Hair Algae in my case.

What are your light settings? Or do you use one of the presets?

100% blue/70% white, 8 hours. I'm running 30% white at the moment to reduce algae growth.

likely what is going on.

likely what is going on.

So many ideas ! So little time ! Not really going to try these ideas until I get success. Thanks

I did the 72 hour no lights covered whole tank with cardboard it worked great! I then did a water change

That's not going to work on a tank with pricey SPSs.

I too am battling red turf right now. Sadly, I've found it hard to starve out. Emerald crabs and hairy pincushion urchins are making a dent in it, but Mexican turbo snails should be number one in fighting it. Good luck :)

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Be careful with altering your lighting schedule. Unless you go completely dark, low light won't get rid of bryo, but it will piss off your corals. I tried Kent Tech M and got Mag levels up above where the kits could measure it, but it didn't kill my bryopsis. It stopped it from spreading, but it didn't die. I had to finish it off with hydrogen peroxide dips, coupled with Tech M. Ended up going like 75% H2O2, 25% tank water, but I know this is stronger than most recommend.

I've also heard that raising your pH can kill it off, but I have no personal experience with that, so tread lightly.

Good luck with your fight...

• Like 1

Be careful with altering your lighting schedule. Unless you go completely dark, low light won't get rid of bryo, but it will piss off your corals. I tried Kent Tech M and got Mag levels up above where the kits could measure it, but it didn't kill my bryopsis. It stopped it from spreading, but it didn't die. I had to finish it off with hydrogen peroxide dips, coupled with Tech M. Ended up going like 75% H2O2, 25% tank water, but I know this is stronger than most recommend.

I've also heard that raising your pH can kill it off, but I have no personal experience with that, so tread lightly.

Good luck with your fight...

Thanks for the tip. I haven't change lighting schedule at all, i didn't think it would help. But I'm currently upping Tech M almost at 1600 and also dipping in light mix H2O2, tried 10ml to 8 cup tank water today and then rinse in separate tank water before placing back into the tank. I pulled most of them out manually. Lets see what happens in the next few days.

Good news!

I dipped 50/50 H2O2 on one entire rock with a few drops of iodine and bry-o-bastard along with red turk are fading away within 48 hours :)

I will dip the rest of the rocks and all frags next. No harm to any inverts or corals. Hoping to get tank back into shape soon.

Lost in the line of fire: Cleaner Shrimp (miss her the most since the beginning), a few zoas frags, 2 acros frags.

Not bad for beating d*mn bryopsis for good. Rest of the corals, inverts, and fishes are fine.

Corals are recovering nicely. I'm also start dosing two parts C-Balance daily. Might need a dosing pump soon.

• Like 1