ReefCleaners.org

Hypes Edgeless Ridge Islet-Complete

Rehype

Ok guys so I just added the oxydator to the tank. I decided to put it in towards the end of the light cycle.I put it in the display first as the claim is its most efficient there (although I doubt that)Ill go through the paces and eventually switch it to the sump and see if theres a measurable/discernible difference.

Rundown of current tank inhabitants:
Softies
LPS
SPS
Zoos
Gorgonians
Feather duster
Pulsing Xenia
Red claw crabs
Fromia starfish
Fumanchu Lionfish
Pair of Redfin Waspfish
Fuzzy Lionfish
Melanarus Wrasse
Pair of tigertail seahorses
hermits and snails
White Flame Scallop

Tiger Pistol Shrimp

Tank Parameters:

Temp:77 degrees
Alk:7-8dkh
Nitrates:1-2ppm
Phosphates:0.04ppm
Calcium:450ppm
PH:7.8-8.0 during the day
ORP: Before oxydator 220-275

Graph of ORP last two days

17034795851_b1fe7037c5_b.jpg

Please disregard the sharp dip as this was when I was performing a water change and the probe was out of water. There was a noticeable bump in ORP following the water change. The oxydator was added at about 6:00pm this evening. Youll notice that almost immediately after the addition there is a steady increase in ORP (these are the highest reading ive had thus far)

Initial Observations

Well the first thing i noticed after adding oxydator was there a flux of small bubbles and then some larger ones. Within 5 minutes my pulsing xenia immediately closed up. So I can validate tibbsys experience....Im curious if they will open back up in a few days. All the other inhabitants dont seem to be phased so far. Ill keep a close eye on them in the days to come.

• Like 5

Initial Observations

Well the first thing i noticed after adding oxydator was there a flux of small bubbles and then some larger ones. Within 5 minutes my pulsing xenia immediately closed up. So I can validate tibbsys experience....Im curious if they will open back up in a few days. All the other inhabitants dont seem to be phased so far. Ill keep a close eye on them in the days to come.

Ive also noticed my zoos are mostly closed since the addition. I expected some negative reactions from my coral since most coral dont like sudden change. I figure Ill give them a week to adjust before I make any changes.

Im also surprised by how much peroxide has already been used in less than 24 hours. The bell is almost half empty..

CronicReefer

Ive also noticed my zoos are mostly closed since the addition. I expected some negative reactions from my coral since most coral dont like sudden change. I figure Ill give them a week to adjust before I make any changes.

Im also surprised by how much peroxide has already been used in less than 24 hours. The bell is almost half empty..

Make sure you have the base secured properly. When I put mine on I twist the reservoir about a 1/4 turn to lock it into place in the ceramic base before flipping it over to put into my tank. Mine always takes the same amount of time to empty (10 days).

Make sure you have the base secured properly. When I put mine on I twist the reservoir about a 1/4 turn to lock it into place in the ceramic base before flipping it over to put into my tank. Mine always takes the same amount of time to empty (10 days).

Yea i definitely double checked that just to be sure

• Like 1
cruzH20polo

Zoos almost always close up with a peroxide dose, I'll be interested to see for how long yours stay closed with the oxydator (i.e. consistent input) vs a one time dosing. Usually on a one time does after 20 mins everything opens up very nicely, but with a constant diffusion it might take them a bit longer to adjust

Zoos almost always close up with a peroxide dose, I'll be interested to see for how long yours stay closed with the oxydator (i.e. consistent input) vs a one time dosing. Usually on a one time does after 20 mins everything opens up very nicely, but with a constant diffusion it might take them a bit longer to adjust

Thanks alot for the input cruz. Im curious as well im hoping they perk up after a few days..

Marc.The.Shark

Looking forward to this trial. I read somewhere on a forum when I was researching the oxydater before I purchased (I think in the UK) that someone measuring ORP on their reef saw an increase of around 100 from the 250 range to around 350. I'd like to see if this holds true with you. I also maybe had 1 Zoa colony(punk rockers)not happy from the oxydator, at first I attributed it to them just being Zoas, but the stalks started to elongate & get kinda puffy on the ends. Stayed that way for about a week, but then slowly started to reopen and now look fine. I have 8 or 9 different colonies & that was the only one affected.

My observations have not changed from the initial dose, I have the mini in sump (4.9%, 1 catylyst). Initially had film on glass 2-3 day mark, now 4-5 day mark. This has stayed the same, I'm approx 2 weeks in. Water a little clearer? Yeah, I think so, but I've never really had a huge clarity problem. I did notice a few strands(8-10)of hair algae on my Laker Zoas that has seemed to have popped up since the oxydater has been in tank, never had any hair algae in tank before. If it gets worse, I'll pull 'em & 50/50 3% them. Cheato in sump inially got a little whitish, but still growing like crazy & not bleaching as much as initially. Prob have another week on this dose, then I'll drop the 2nd catylst in....

Looking forward to this trial. I read somewhere on a forum when I was researching the oxydater before I purchased (I think in the UK) that someone measuring ORP on their reef saw an increase of around 100 from the 250 range to around 350. I'd like to see if this holds true with you. I also maybe had 1 Zoa colony(punk rockers)not happy from the oxydator, at first I attributed it to them just being Zoas, but the stalks started to elongate & get kinda puffy on the ends. Stayed that way for about a week, but then slowly started to reopen and now look fine. I have 8 or 9 different colonies & that was the only one affected.

My observations have not changed from the initial dose, I have the mini in sump (4.9%, 1 catylyst). Initially had film on glass 2-3 day mark, now 4-5 day mark. This has stayed the same, I'm approx 2 weeks in. Water a little clearer? Yeah, I think so, but I've never really had a huge clarity problem. I did notice a few strands(8-10)of hair algae on my Laker Zoas that has seemed to have popped up since the oxydater has been in tank, never had any hair algae in tank before. If it gets worse, I'll pull 'em & 50/50 3% them. Cheato in sump inially got a little whitish, but still growing like crazy & not bleaching as much as initially. Prob have another week on this dose, then I'll drop the 2nd catylst in....

Thanks for offering your experiences marc. Yea the increase in ORP was immediate which was expected since peroxide is an oxidizing agent but im curious to just how high it will go(The highest point so far is 321) At this point my zoos and xenia are mostly closed, the softies (green nepthea and neon toadstool) and all sps have reduced polyp extension. I did initially expect some coral to react negatively so ill give it a week or so before I make any changes.

I really wouldnt be able to tell if my water is any clearer since I dose vodka and use carbon my water is ridiculously clear to begin with but I am happy to see the ORP rise. I do have a bit of turf algae and still occasionally spot treat dinos when they pop up. I did make a point to clean the acrylic well to monitor algae growth.

My biggest concern is just how much peroxide has been used in such a short period of time. Its already dissolved more than half in 24 hours which is abnormal. Ive checked the unit and its not leaking so Im not sure what the deal is...

Marc.The.Shark

I would have to think that flow would affect the dosing, being a manual unit in a high flow area it would constantly flush the cup and pull more out of the dosing tank. Mine prob goes about 10 days or so, but it's pretty low flow in the corner of my sump.i understand the whole catylst reaction pushing it out, but that's with everything else constant.

Yes that sounds very excessive,

I would pull it ASAP until you can work out what is going on.

Where did you get this model Oxydator from? (I do not sell this sized unit)

• Like 1
jedimasterben

The 'D' would be the medium one you sell, there is the Nano, D, A (big ceramic one like mine), and W (for ponds)

The 'D' would be the medium one you sell, there is the Nano, D, A (big ceramic one like mine), and W (for ponds)

Yes I know the models Ben ;)

I only ever got one small batch of medium units and I never reordered.

Edit: The medium is also the only model I ever had return on (one of them leaked)

• Like 1

I would have to think that flow would affect the dosing, being a manual unit in a high flow area it would constantly flush the cup and pull more out of the dosing tank. Mine prob goes about 10 days or so, but it's pretty low flow in the corner of my sump.i understand the whole catylst reaction pushing it out, but that's with everything else constant.

Thanks alot for the suggestion marc I didnt realize flow would have any effect on the unit so I moved it to a low flow area of my sump and ill check on it in the am.

I pulled it out initially but since getting advice from marc Ive moved it to a low flow area. I believe that was the issue but ill know for sure in the am.

I ordered it from theshrimptank.com

• Like 1

Thanks alot for the suggestion marc I didnt realize flow would have any effect on the unit so I moved it to a low flow area of my sump and ill check on it in the am.

I pulled it out initially but since getting advice from marc Ive moved it to a low flow area. I believe that was the issue but ill know for sure in the am.

I ordered it from theshrimptank.com

I would really really suggest you pull it out ASAP.

That unit should have a burn time of about 10 days - 2 weeks, flow rate should not impact the rate of operation. The hole at the bottom of the unit is the size of a pin prick.

The way the D unit seals is a completely different mechanism to the other units. I have had one fail which is one of the reasons I chose not to restock it.

I would really really suggest you pull it out ASAP.

That unit should have a burn time of about 10 days - 2 weeks, flow rate should not impact the rate of operation. The hole at the bottom of the unit is the size of a pin prick.

The way the D unit seals is a completely different mechanism to the other units. I have had one fail which is one of the reasons I chose not to restock it.

Thanks for the concern nick I did take a look at it this morning and it hadnt lost any more of peroxide but I took it out as you suggested. I also took another look at the unit itself and it seems it takes more than a simple twist to secure the seal. Im not sure if this is by design or not..

NirvanaandTool

True... I did a large water change before I put the skimmer back online and didnt have any issues

Yep just finished cleaning it out last night.

Ive heard about those bps as well but the reviews were pretty mixed at their effectiveness. If i remember correctly it seemed their ability to remove phosphate is some type of GFO bound within the pellet so you still have to worry about the media becoming exhausted and needing replacement.

Yep definitely makes life easier but Its still needs to be monitored because of how efficient the vodka is. Its pretty easy to make the water too clean. I think its still some Lairds in there lol :lol:

Yea I tried the large water changes but I guess my overall water volume was too high to really make a dent in it. After I drained the skimmer out into a 5g bucket, I had no problem skimming.

Oh, see didn't know that. That sucks, would rather just run gfo separately.

LOL Lairds. Come on, give them some good stuff. At least Belvedere. :lol:

Ok guys so I just added the oxydator to the tank. I decided to put it in towards the end of the light cycle.I put it in the display first as the claim is its most efficient there (although I doubt that)Ill go through the paces and eventually switch it to the sump and see if theres a measurable/discernible difference.

Rundown of current tank inhabitants:

Softies

LPS

SPS

Zoos

Gorgonians

Feather duster

Pulsing Xenia

Red claw crabs

Fromia starfish

Fumanchu Lionfish

Pair of Redfin Waspfish

Fuzzy Lionfish

Melanarus Wrasse

Pair of tigertail seahorses

hermits and snails

White Flame Scallop

Tiger Pistol Shrimp

Whoa whoa whoa.

When did you get a pair of redfins? I thought you only had that original male redfin.

:P

Yea I tried the large water changes but I guess my overall water volume was too high to really make a dent in it. After I drained the skimmer out into a 5g bucket, I had no problem skimming.

Oh, see didn't know that. That sucks, would rather just run gfo separately.

LOL Lairds. Come on, give them some good stuff. At least Belvedere. :lol:

Whoa whoa whoa.

When did you get a pair of redfins? I thought you only had that original male redfin.

:P

:lol::lol: I forgot to mention that....I actually returned the male because my LFS had gotten a beautiful pair in. Of course I was psyched but its seems like it may not work out for the long term. These guys jump out of my tank literally every few days and I have to rescue them from the overflow. They do these elaborate swim rituals all over the tank and eventually swim over the sides.Im terrified theyre going to wind up on the floor so i think im going to have to take them back. :(

• Like 1

Wow long time no hear Pak?! :o:o Hows it going man?Thanks alot for checking in man and sincerely appreciate the complement.

Things are really, really good. Had quite a stir in my life a couple years ago, but now things are much better. First mini-Pak due to arrive end of July. So I'll have someone to teach the hobby to. :D

I need to get some pics of my new tank up too.

I've been trying to read through the 100+ pages of this thread. Hunting for pictures too. Do you have a link to high-res shots?

NirvanaandTool

:lol::lol: I forgot to mention that....I actually returned the male because my LFS had gotten a beautiful pair in. Of course I was psyched but its seems like it may not work out for the long term. These guys jump out of my tank literally every few days and I have to rescue them from the overflow. They do these elaborate swim rituals all over the tank and eventually swim over the sides.Im terrified theyre going to wind up on the floor so i think im going to have to take them back. :(

Mine ended up in the overflow a few times in the 40B. Actually all of my wasps had at some point. That sucks that they won't stop though. Did the original male do that? Or just the pair. Hate to see you get rid of them :(

What about setting up a small 10g for them with a glass top? Little species tank for the pair!

The Oxydator trials in each tank are so interesting. I wonder if the current manufacturing batch is somehow different that the old batches that Atoll and others have used which can do no wrong. While it may not have deviated from the patent, it's possible that a batch could have been made with some minor difference, not enough to pull the product from the shelf but enough of a difference that it releases more peroxide than it is intended to.

jedimasterben

I wonder if the current manufacturing batch is somehow different that the old batches that Atoll and others have used which can do no wrong.

:lol:

• Like 1
CronicReefer

I too find it strange that you're having such a different reaction from what I have experienced with the D model. My zoas have not had any negative reaction. My sand bed went from turning brown with micro algae to looking completely brand new in three days. I'm interested in how much algae growth you will experience since mine has been very little compared to what everyone else has reported.