Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hypes Edgeless Ridge Islet-Complete

Rehype

And those pictures, just wow. And it looks like there might be some new SPS in the background?

Thanks alot man. Yea i have a few frags now they havent fully acclimated to my tank just yet though... they're from full LED tanks.

Nano sapiens

Thanks alot man. Yea i have a few frags now they havent fully acclimated to my tank just yet though... they're from full LED tanks.

Looks like they'll need to get used to all your diffused, additional spectra :)

NirvanaandTool

Ok I just got him to eat today and I didnt have to use live foods :happy::happy::happy: Ill give you exactly two guesses...no clues :D

Pest control..

16652130717_96fafe89fb.jpg

Is this the mystery fish? Or do you have something else up your sleeve?

Really pretty melly. How'd you get such good pictures of yours? I can't ever get anything remotely clear of my melly. He easily is the fastest out of all my fish (& the first to food believe it or not.)

Melanurus wrasses are amazing bug eaters. Mine even eats stomatella snails that sneak in from the fuge. It's sad and brutal, but pretty impressive. He picks them up by the shell, then scrapes them on the rock until the shell pops off.... Yum.

Is this the mystery fish? Or do you have something else up your sleeve?

Really pretty melly. How'd you get such good pictures of yours? I can't ever get anything remotely clear of my melly. He easily is the fastest out of all my fish (& the first to food believe it or not.)

Of course not... You know me better than that ralph :lol:

Thanks man they're definitely tough to photograph since they're constantly in motion so I have to use a really fast shutter speed at least 1/200 and I use bit of flash to help with that.

Melanurus wrasses are amazing bug eaters. Mine even eats stomatella snails that sneak in from the fuge. It's sad and brutal, but pretty impressive. He picks them up by the shell, then scrapes them on the rock until the shell pops off.... Yum.

They sure are I would never keep SPS without one.

• Like 2
NirvanaandTool

They are fun even without SPS bugs to eat. Mine loves when I feed the maori's crayfish cause he can swipe a leg or two off the cray before the maori's finish it off.

Of course not... You know me better than that ralph :lol:

Thanks man they're definitely tough to photograph since they're constantly in motion so I have to use a really fast shutter speed at least 1/200 and I use bit of flash to help with that.

They sure are I would never keep SPS without one.

Touche.

So 2 guesses right?

First guess - yellow spotted scorp.

Ah gotcha- flash probably helps, is it the on camera flash or external? Once my tank is back on track (battling HA right now thats why I haven't updated my thread) I'll try again for more wrasse pics and see what I can come up with.

They are fun even without SPS bugs to eat. Mine loves when I feed the maori's crayfish cause he can swipe a leg or two off the cray before the maori's finish it off.

Touche.

So 2 guesses right?

First guess - yellow spotted scorp.

Ah gotcha- flash probably helps, is it the on camera flash or external? Once my tank is back on track (battling HA right now thats why I haven't updated my thread) I'll try again for more wrasse pics and see what I can come up with.

:o:o Man your good ralph...You always get it on the first guess. Yea i plan to move him from QT today or tomorrow. I was really happy to finally find one.

The flash is external which allows for better control. Ok look forward to some new pics.. im battling some algae myself.

• Like 1

So Im going to try out an oxydator with all the recent discussion im curious to its effects on my tank. Adding additional oxygen to the tank is certainly a plus but im a bit more interested in seeing its effect if any on my PH and ORP. I know that I should see an increase in ORP but im curious to see if the results are similar to using an ozonizer(which ive used in the past) I currently have a PH probe and should have a new ORP probe delivered at the end of the week. Since they will be connected to my Apex i should be able to document any changes in detail and compare them.

Just got delivered yesterday

16735425259_821e17811b_z.jpg

• Like 9
NirvanaandTool

:o:o Man your good ralph...You always get it on the first guess. Yea i plan to move him from QT today or tomorrow. I was really happy to finally find one.

The flash is external which allows for better control. Ok look forward to some new pics.. im battling some algae myself.

Damn I'm good! :lol:

I mostly just think of the fish I would get with that size tank. Plus a yellow spot is much better looking aesthetically than the other small scorps and wasps so that made it my first guess.

That's freaking awesome. I've never seen one locally and there's only been a few on DD if I'm remembering right.

Ah gotcha, ya I need to invest in some camera equipment one of these days. I haven't got around to taking anything yet but will try sometime this week or weekend. Tank definitely looks cleaner post-water change but haven't had the time to fiddle with the camera yet.

You algae? Didn't know you had any issues with it. What kind? Probably overfeeding that hungry little fuzzy!

Damn I'm good! :lol:

I mostly just think of the fish I would get with that size tank. Plus a yellow spot is much better looking aesthetically than the other small scorps and wasps so that made it my first guess.

That's freaking awesome. I've never seen one locally and there's only been a few on DD if I'm remembering right.

Ah gotcha, ya I need to invest in some camera equipment one of these days. I haven't got around to taking anything yet but will try sometime this week or weekend. Tank definitely looks cleaner post-water change but haven't had the time to fiddle with the camera yet.

You algae? Didn't know you had any issues with it. What kind? Probably overfeeding that hungry little fuzzy!

Yea this was the first one ive seen ever...Really surprised my LFS was able to find one so quickly. :D

Well its not algae issues exactly... I intentionally increased my nutrient level and reduced my vodka dosage to make the SPS frags happier. In turn I had an algae bloom on the glass and sand but so far its seems to be clearing up quickly.

NirvanaandTool

Yea this was the first one ive seen ever...Really surprised my LFS was able to find one so quickly. :D

Well its not algae issues exactly... I intentionally increased my nutrient level and reduced my vodka dosage to make the SPS frags happier. In turn I had an algae bloom on the glass and sand but so far its seems to be clearing up quickly.

Once again your LFS comes through with flying colors. Jealous.

Oh that's barely even algae problems. I overfeed and went like 3 weeks without a skimmer so I'm fighting a HA bloom from all that. Worst part was the skimmer fix was really easy if I had only google searched it right from the start.

Ok, so question: How do you manage to never get any distortion in your fish pics? And are you using some form of flash over the tank?

jedimasterben

Ok, so question: How do you manage to never get any distortion in your fish pics? And are you using some form of flash over the tank?

he's a wizard.

• Like 2

Hype, I am looking forward to your oxydator info.

The tank looks unreal, dude. Seriously. The little lions are gorgeous. I am going to need you to come on down to NC and tell me what I am doing wrong, because clearly you have a gift.

• Like 1

Once again your LFS comes through with flying colors. Jealous.

Oh that's barely even algae problems. I overfeed and went like 3 weeks without a skimmer so I'm fighting a HA bloom from all that. Worst part was the skimmer fix was really easy if I had only google searched it right from the start.

Well bad news bud the scorp died in quarantine just stopped eating and withered away...really not sure what happened :(

Well Ive noticed the few SPS in my tank werent doing so hot with the low nutrients so I decided to quit vodka dosing for a bit. In turn Ive started to get more algae everywhere but im not too freaked out at the moment.

Well the key is too shoot parallel to the glass shooting at angles is what causes distortion . Well in the pics where fish are the subject I usually use flash so I can use a faster shutter speed to "freeze" the fish in place.

he's a wizard.

:happy:

But did he come from the moon?

:ninja:

Hype, I am looking forward to your oxydator info.

The tank looks unreal, dude. Seriously. The little lions are gorgeous. I am going to need you to come on down to NC and tell me what I am doing wrong, because clearly you have a gift.

Me too Tibbs. I just got the ORP probe in yesterday and I wanted to get a few readings before I put the oxydator online. I plan to go live with it over the weekend if all goes so well.

Thanks alot tibbs really appreciate it man.

• Like 2

You had mentioned vodka dosing when you were over taking pictures of my old tank last year. But if algae is returning, would you be adding a herbivore or 2? I would like to be more aggressive with vodka dosing. I've done just the basic 2 weeks each time which doesn't do much since the quantity dosed is very little to start.

I'd like to use it to combat bryopsis, unless you think that's a wasted endeavor. Everybody only reports Kent Tech M success, it's a method I am very very reluctant to use given my SPS colonies. Loss of colors has been reported by everybody. Truthfully I'm not sure what to do.

I am going to re-read this whole thread this weekend.. gotta figure out where i went wrong!! ;)

You had mentioned vodka dosing when you were over taking pictures of my old tank last year. But if algae is returning, would you be adding a herbivore or 2? I would like to be more aggressive with vodka dosing. I've done just the basic 2 weeks each time which doesn't do much since the quantity dosed is very little to start.

I'd like to use it to combat bryopsis, unless you think that's a wasted endeavor. Everybody only reports Kent Tech M success, it's a method I am very very reluctant to use given my SPS colonies. Loss of colors has been reported by everybody. Truthfully I'm not sure what to do.

Is vodka dosing used to combat algae? I don't know much about it