Cultivated Reef

Hypes Edgeless Ridge Islet-Complete

Rehype

Things are really, really good. Had quite a stir in my life a couple years ago, but now things are much better. First mini-Pak due to arrive end of July. So I'll have someone to teach the hobby to. :D

I need to get some pics of my new tank up too.

I've been trying to read through the 100+ pages of this thread. Hunting for pictures too. Do you have a link to high-res shots?

Thats awesome news bud Congratulations! I just had a mini-hype over the summer...best thing to ever happen to me. Get ready for an awesome ride...

Look forward to seeing the new tank how long has it been running?

Check out my flickr

Mine ended up in the overflow a few times in the 40B. Actually all of my wasps had at some point. That sucks that they won't stop though. Did the original male do that? Or just the pair. Hate to see you get rid of them :(

What about setting up a small 10g for them with a glass top? Little species tank for the pair!

Yea its really nerve racking the original male did the same swimming ritual but never ended up in the overflow. At this point these guys are going over literally every other day. I dont want to get rid of them either as they are pretty rad but I dont want to be negligent to their reckless behavior. I figure its only a matter of time.

That would be an awesome alternative but just unfortunately I just dont have the time to setup a new tank.

I wonder if the current manufacturing batch is somehow different that the old batches that Atoll and others have used which can do no wrong. While it may not have deviated from the patent, it's possible that a batch could have been made with some minor difference, not enough to pull the product from the shelf but enough of a difference that it releases more peroxide than it is intended to.

I certainly dont doubt that theory as my unit seems to be defective. I have to do some additional testing just to be sure it wasnt user error but I almost emptied the entire bell in less than 24 hours :lol:

:lol:

:lol::lol:

I too find it strange that you're having such a different reaction from what I have experienced with the D model. My zoas have not had any negative reaction. My sand bed went from turning brown with micro algae to looking completely brand new in three days. I'm interested in how much algae growth you will experience since mine has been very little compared to what everyone else has reported.

Well Im going to take a second to say my unit may have been defective which would explain the negative reaction by many of my coral. The oxydator released way too much peroxide in a very short amount time so I should be happy that I still have a tank at all :o In spite of this the majority of the coral that were closed yesterday are doing much better today. The zoos,feather dusters, softies have all opened back up and hopefully will be back to normal in a few days. Ill keep you guys posted but in the meantime i have to go fiddle with the oxydator and confirm its functionality.

• Like 2

Thats awesome news bud Congratulations! I just had a mini-hype over the summer...best thing to ever happen to me. Get ready for an awesome ride...

Check out my flickr

I'm a little nervous about it as I have no idea what to expect, but super pumped about having a daughter and the adventure that awaits. Congrats on yours too!

I've had this current tank up and running for about a year and half now. Mr Aqua 17 gallon. Took the simple approach with it and it's been thriving so far. Possibly my best tank, which I'm really happy about. I'll try to get a new thread started tonight.

Thanks for the link! Awesome photos! I really need to get a macro lens.

Hey Hype hows everything been? It's been a while since I've been on NR but everytime I pop in I check out your thread. Absolutely beautiful tank man, I love it. You have an uncanny ability to bring out the natural beauty in all of your tank inhabitants.

I have a question for you. I just recently added a Hawaiian feather duster to my tank and It has been doing great up until this morning when I realized the worms "feathers" were in my powerhead. Is this a normal ocurrence Kind of like a shrimp molting? Haven't Had a feather duster in years and can't remember that ever happening in the past. Thanks for any help man.

I'm a little nervous about it as I have no idea what to expect, but super pumped about having a daughter and the adventure that awaits. Congrats on yours too!

I've had this current tank up and running for about a year and half now. Mr Aqua 17 gallon. Took the simple approach with it and it's been thriving so far. Possibly my best tank, which I'm really happy about. I'll try to get a new thread started tonight.

Thanks for the link! Awesome photos! I really need to get a macro lens.

Thanks alot man...dont be nervous your about to have your eyes truly opened for the first time....

Thats awesome I cant wait to see how it looks... I always was a huge fan of your cube.

Thanks man yea a macrolens really helps you see the beauty of your reef from a completely new perspective.

Hey Hype hows everything been? It's been a while since I've been on NR but everytime I pop in I check out your thread. Absolutely beautiful tank man, I love it. You have an uncanny ability to bring out the natural beauty in all of your tank inhabitants.

I have a question for you. I just recently added a Hawaiian feather duster to my tank and It has been doing great up until this morning when I realized the worms "feathers" were in my powerhead. Is this a normal ocurrence Kind of like a shrimp molting? Haven't Had a feather duster in years and can't remember that ever happening in the past. Thanks for any help man.

Hey JG?!!! Long time bud...man i feel like its a family reunion going on in here....just awesome :happy: Hows everything going? Look forward to seeing a thread for your new build.

The last time I saw that happen to one of my feather dusters I thought he was a goner but after a week or two he produced a new crown. Oddly enough though none of my other feather dusters ever shed their crown in that manner. I heard they sometimes to do it when under stress although theres no way to be sure..HTH

Thanks alot for the feedback man really appreciate it.

• Like 1

I got the mini oxydator for my tank recently. I used up all the h202 that came with it. Didn't see any difference at all

Thanks for the feeback hypo how long did you have it running?

I just had a mini-hype over the summer...

That's the cutest thing I've ever heard. :wub:

I got the mini oxydator for my tank recently. I used up all the h202 that came with it. Didn't see any difference at all

Hypo, you should post in the oxydator thread.

Hypo, you should post in the oxydator thread.

Which one is that again? lol

I feel kinda weird about reporting any results that aren't really scientific or long-term or well documented

That's the cutest thing I've ever heard. :wub:

:happy:

So after fiddling with the oxydator I figured out the issue with the "D" model Oxydator. As it turns out the instructions on setting it up are inaccurate...

Step 3: Make sure before closing that the brown plastic lid lays within the ceramic cover then shut the container

So this is false. You actually have to place the plastic lid within the diving bell first and ensured its sealed before placing it within the ceramic base. At which point you twist to lock it in place.

Heres how the unit should look before placing it within the ceramic base:

17093394932_9610f9ff5b_z.jpg

Following this I decided to setup a small "platform"to record the rate at which it doses oxygen/peroxide

16907118928_32816f150a_z.jpg

Please check out the video

The unit doses one drop approximately every two minutes.

So now with this sorted out I have the unit in a bucket with some sand and live rock and im going to observe how long it takes to empty the unit. At which point (provided it goes smoothly) ill add it back to my tank.

• Like 3
NirvanaandTool

Check out my flickr

Yea its really nerve racking the original male did the same swimming ritual but never ended up in the overflow. At this point these guys are going over literally every other day. I dont want to get rid of them either as they are pretty rad but I dont want to be negligent to their reckless behavior. I figure its only a matter of time.

That would be an awesome alternative but just unfortunately I just dont have the time to setup a new tank.

I certainly dont doubt that theory as my unit seems to be defective. I have to do some additional testing just to be sure it wasnt user error but I almost emptied the entire bell in less than 24 hours :lol:

:lol::lol:

Well Im going to take a second to say my unit may have been defective which would explain the negative reaction by many of my coral. The oxydator released way too much peroxide in a very short amount time so I should be happy that I still have a tank at all :o In spite of this the majority of the coral that were closed yesterday are doing much better today. The zoos,feather dusters, softies have all opened back up and hopefully will be back to normal in a few days. Ill keep you guys posted but in the meantime i have to go fiddle with the oxydator and confirm its functionality.

Congrats on your mini-hype. :lol:

Well if you decide to get rid of the pair, let me know. Might take them off your hands. My 90 is 100% covered along with my overflow so they should be fine.

Glad you got it figured out! Hope you start seeing some positive results once you get it back in the tank :D.

Thanks alot chronic....Im a bit annoyed that I had to be the one to correct the manufacturers poor instructions (especially considering how long these units have been around) but hey at the end of the day it may help one of my fellow reefers which is what im all about.

Ill be sure to keep you guys posted although at this point im only really interested in its longterm effect on my tanks redox potential.

Congrats on your mini-hype. :lol:

Well if you decide to get rid of the pair, let me know. Might take them off your hands. My 90 is 100% covered along with my overflow so they should be fine.

Thanks alot man!

I might take you up on that as the male is sitting in my overflow as I type... <_<

• Like 2
CronicReefer

Thanks alot chronic....Im a bit annoyed that I had to be the one to correct the manufacturers poor instructions (especially considering how long these units have been around) but hey at the end of the day it may help one of my fellow reefers which is what im all about.

Ill be sure to keep you guys posted although at this point im only really interested in its longterm effect on my tanks redox potential.

Yes the directions are a bit vague. If you get to test oxygen levels let me know as this was the only thing that interested me about the oxydator and anything else was just a bonus. I'll be looking forward to the redox results as well.

Yes the directions are a bit vague. If you get to test oxygen levels let me know as this was the only thing that interested me about the oxydator and anything else was just a bonus. I'll be looking forward to the redox results as well.

Will do. Im going to test the oxygen levels as well before and after use just to provide some actual data. Getting a bit tired of hearing ones proclaim how effective the unit is but presenting nothing more than words...

• Like 3
CronicReefer

Will do. Im going to test the oxygen levels as well before and after use just to provide some actual data. Getting a bit tired of hearing ones proclaim how effective the unit is but presenting nothing more than words...

I can say the oxydator did improve my sand bed quite a lot (it literally made mine look like new again) and there is significantly less detritus on my rocks when I turkey baster them. The lack of statistical evidence is frustrating but I see very few people who say they didn't see positive effects compared to the huge amount of people who say they did see positive effects.

I can say the oxydator did improve my sand bed quite a lot (it literally made mine look like new again) and there is significantly less detritus on my rocks when I turkey baster them. The lack of statistical evidence is frustrating but I see very few people who say they didn't see positive effects compared to the huge amount of people who say they did see positive effects.

Thanks for the feedback chronic. Sorry if I sound a bit irritated It was just be helpful to the overall discussion if some of the reefers saying how much it helped improved their tank provide some type of data... even a photo would be great at this point. How long was the oxydator running before you a noticed an improvement in your sandbed and what type of nusiancealgae/bacteria was present on your sandbed before using the oxydator?

Thanks in advance for any additional feedback

CronicReefer

Thanks for the feedback chronic. Sorry if I sound a bit irritated It was just be helpful to the overall discussion if some of the reefers saying how much it helped improved their tank provide some type of data... even a photo would be great at this point. How long was the oxydator running before you a noticed an improvement in your sandbed and what type of nusiancealgae/bacteria was present on your sandbed before using the oxydator?

Thanks in advance for any additional feedback

When I get home on lunch I'll find some pictures I can compare for you. It took about 3-5 days before I saw noticeable results. I had a small amount of cyano but it was mostly brown micro algae. I have bubble algae but don't expect an oxydator to do anything about that. I have bryopsis but it only grows on the intake of my canister filter (I think I managed to make an algae scrubber by accident.

When I get home on lunch I'll find some pictures I can compare for you. It took about 3-5 days before I saw noticeable results. I had a small amount of cyano but it was mostly brown micro algae. I have bubble algae but don't expect an oxydator to do anything about that. I have bryopsis but it only grows on the intake of my canister filter (I think I managed to make an algae scrubber by accident.

Thanks for the pictures chronic

• Like 1
CronicReefer

Thanks for the pictures chronic

Anytime! And good luck with your oxydator, I hope you have good success with yours like I have had with mine.

NirvanaandTool

Thanks alot man!

I might take you up on that as the male is sitting in my overflow as I type... <_<

Just let me know what you decide. You know my number.

NirvanaandTool

Let's have tea. E, you, me, and anybody else that can join in.

Or vodka.

Deal. You bring the vodka & I'll bring the beer. Let's all meet up at Eugene's place and stare at his tank. And then I can take the two jumpy waspfish home to chill with my antisocial waspfish.

Whiskey

Now we're talkin.

Bourbon, scotch, rye? Let's turn Eugene's thread into the drinking thread.

• Like 2