Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mangrove Forest-time to say goodbye

Giga

It looks like some dwarf form of calupra as the blades are only a few cm long. I like it so I'm just gonna keep it in there. I'll just remove it from spots manually that I don't want it.

:)

I think what you have is Caulerpa brachypus. It looks great!

• Like 1

all day long, but doesnt even make a dent,might get another crab-i'll have to trim it again in the next day or two

Did you find other reefers who had used C. brachypus as "grass" like you're doing? It looks like your leaves are exceptionally short even compared to most brachypus I can find. Would you be against letting it grow on the roots of the mangrove? How long has it taken for it to grow to the coverage it has now?

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Hey giga, check these out.

Luxeon K royal blue 8up: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Philips-Lumileds/LXK0-PR04-0008/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMu4Prknbu83y5qjVwwqxj2nCyntzEjeLA0%3d

Luxeon K royal blue 16up: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Philips-Lumileds/LXK0-PR04-0016/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMu4Prknbu83y5qjVwwqxj2nBive0K61Vrw%3d

The first is equivalent to two Luxeon M royals (at the same cost), the second is equivalent to four Luxeon M royals (at half the cost). In addition, Ledil has optics for them, not too expensive. The 8up can have two per LDD driver, the 16up can do one per LDD.

• Like 2
Steensj2004

When I die........and if reincarnation is real......I want to come back as a fish,crab, whatever the f#%k sea creature and live in this tank till I die again.....and repeat. I reincarnation isn't real I will bug God/the Devil to let me come back as a fish in this tank every second of every day until they get so tired of hearing me they let me( annoying kid strategy,lol).This is the most original and amazing idea I have seen to date in this hobby. Hat off to you good sir! AMAZING.....

• Like 4
Reef Fever

all day long, but doesnt even make a dent,might get another crab-i'll have to trim it again in the next day or two

good to know, gonna see if i can get one to clean it out of my tank

• Like 1

Did you find other reefers who had used C. brachypus as "grass" like you're doing? It looks like your leaves are exceptionally short even compared to most brachypus I can find. Would you be against letting it grow on the roots of the mangrove? How long has it taken for it to grow to the coverage it has now?

I've never seem this macro ever, maybe it's a unique strand. Each week it about doubles in coverage. I actually pic it off the roots but it is growing on some of them

Hey giga, check these out. Luxeon K royal blue 8up: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Philips-Lumileds/LXK0-PR04-0008/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMu4Prknbu83y5qjVwwqxj2nCyntzEjeLA0=]http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Philips-Lumileds/LXK0-PR04-0008/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMu4Prknbu83y5qjVwwqxj2nCyntzEjeLA0=[/url] Luxeon K royal blue 16up: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Philips-Lumileds/LXK0-PR04-0016/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMu4Prknbu83y5qjVwwqxj2nBive0K61Vrw=]http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Philips-Lumileds/LXK0-PR04-0016/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMu4Prknbu83y5qjVwwqxj2nBive0K61Vrw=[/url] The first is equivalent to two Luxeon M royals (at the same cost), the second is equivalent to four Luxeon M royals (at half the cost). In addition, Ledil has optics for them, not too expensive. The 8up can have two per LDD driver, the 16up can do one per LDD.

Sweet totally gonna order those

When I die........and if reincarnation is real......I want to come back as a fish,crab, whatever the f#%k sea creature and live in this tank till I die again.....and repeat. I reincarnation isn't real I will bug God/the Devil to let me come back as a fish in this tank every second of every day until they get so tired of hearing me they let me( annoying kid strategy,lol).This is the most original and amazing idea I have seen to date in this hobby. Hat off to you good sir! AMAZING.....
Thanks so much!

I am just in awe of all of your builds
Thank you!

good to know, gonna see if i can get one to clean it out of my tank
Never owned one till this guy, there pretty cool

I've never seem this macro ever, maybe it's a unique strand. Each week it about doubles in coverage. I actually pic it off the roots but it is growing on some of them

Whatever it is, don't lose track of it! I might want something like that sometime haha

• Like 1
Reef Fever

Whatever it is, don't lose track of it! I might want something like that sometime haha

please come pull it out of my tank...lol

• Like 1
Reef Fever

Does yours look just like Giga's?

yes and if i wasn't stubborn about putting a tang in my tank i would have done so to eradicate it already

• Like 1

Do tangs eat the stuff? and if so what ones? I'm thinking of adding a tang

Tangs are one of the more aggressive algae eaters. I personally don't know if they eat this species, but I assume they might.

For a 74 "ish" gallon tank, I'd stick with a Kole Yellow Eye Tang (Ctenochaetus strigosus).

• Like 3
jedimasterben

Bristletooth tangs don't eat so much hair algae as the others - their mouths are made to scrape algae from rocks and stuff. While I've seen my bristletooths eat some filamentous algae (and some other macros, such as ochtodes), it really only does it after the rabbitfish nibbles on it and leaves just the part attached to the rocks.

A rabbitfish (Siganus doliatus is my personal fav) would be a much better choice - they will eat any algae, calcareous, filamentous, toxic, they aren't picky like tangs are. :)

• Like 3
Tangs are one of the more aggressive algae eaters. I personally don't know if they eat this species, but I assume they might.

For a 74 "ish" gallon tank, I'd stick with a http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+345&pcatid=345'>Kole Yellow Eye Tang (Ctenochaetus strigosus).

That looks like a good choice

Bristletooth tangs don't eat so much hair algae as the others - their mouths are made to scrape algae from rocks and stuff. While I've seen my bristletooths eat some filamentous algae (and some other macros, such as ochtodes), it really only does it after the rabbitfish nibbles on it and leaves just the part attached to the rocks.

A rabbitfish (Siganus doliatus is my personal fav) would be a much better choice - they will eat any algae, calcareous, filamentous, toxic, they aren't picky like tangs are. :)

Those get huge! Only if I could find a tiny one lol

jedimasterben

That looks like a good choice Those get huge! Only if I could find a tiny one lol

In captivity, almost the entire Siganus genus gets, on average, 5-7" in length.

This one was about 4.5-5" in length.

IMG_20131208_175636480.jpg

Looks huge, right? Well, only when it swims just behind the glass and a few inches from the camera lens :)

IMG_20131204_202820673.jpg

• Like 6
jedimasterben

Only problem is it's a coral nipper, I had my fair share of that with the angel I had to relocate

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/8/fish2

When it comes to eating corals, things can be hit or miss, though. While looking around online I found numerous stories of a rabbitfishes being fine in a reef aquarium for some time, even for more than two years, and then starting to eat both soft and stony corals. They oftentimes go after things like zoanthids and button polyps first, but from what I can tell, they may also fancy Acanthastrea and the branch tips of many other stony corals. Regardless, I have personally cared for at least a dozen rabbitfishes in my own aquariums and those of my customers years ago when I owned a tank maintenance business, and I never once had a problem with any of them. In fact, I've got a nice S. vulpinus in my own reef aquarium right now. No issues. So, I'm either feeding it everything it needs, or I've just gotten very lucky (again). I guess I'll just say that if you plan on keeping one of these in a reef aquarium, be sure to keep the food coming and keep a close watch on it in case it starts eating things you don't want eaten.
  • Like 1