Coral Vue Hydros

Mangrove Forest-time to say goodbye

Giga

Hey guys, after much talk with my wife and thinking, I'm going to take a break from saltwater. We may have another kid in the near future and with haveing so many hobbies my time is becoming too thin. Im gonna focus on my bonsai and vivariums- since ther is no work compared reef tanks. I'm just gonna put the mangroves in a bonsai pot and add them to my collection. I have had a reef tank for 7 years in some fashion or another and with this tank crash I think it's time to take a few years off. This tank will most likly turn into a vivarium as I still enjoy the reef hobby just don't have the time for so many hobbies. I will also be selling of most my stuff as well. It's bitter sweet but I think it the right call right now in my life. Also this is not good bye as I'll still update my vivarium and be on here I just won't have a reef tank for now.

I've been in the same position you are right now, 3 times. Two hurricanes and one snowstorm crashed my 25G cube three times, all separate restarts. I pretty much gave up after the third crash.

If I could just give you one single sliver of advice... If you're even toying with the idea of having plans for a new tank at any point in the future, be it one or more years from now, there are some items you shouldn't sell off. I had to learn the hard way after my first crash - I got frustrated, figured I would never get back in the hobby, and then 8 months later when I had the itch to start a new tank I had to re-buy a lot of the more expensive things I had sold off. Which sucked.

Don't sell your ro/di unit! :lol:

Anyways, it's always depressing to see reef legends getting out of the hobby... But you gotta do what you gotta do, and family always comes first.

• Like 1

I've enjoyed watching your tank and I'll be checking our your thread for your vivarium still. I hadn't seen anyone have such an amazing vision for a tank like this. Just thinking that you've grown this mangrove for years to this point for the tank was incredible to me.

• Like 5

Really sorry to hear about the tank crash and the subsequent breakdown bud. Ive been in the same boat quite a few times so i totally know how you feel. I know youll be back sooner or later cause whether youve realized it or not ....reefing your runs deep in your blood. Just know this....youve accomplished something never seen before in this hobby and whether or not you formally get the title this was hands down tank of the year :closedeyes:

Amazing Job bro :bowdown:

• Like 5
Cameron6796

^ definelty rodi lights and that shallow tank. Hmmm could that rock still be used as a bonsai display pot, under the lights you installed in the little cove in your wall. Think it would be awesome. It is definelty sad to see you go, but we know you'll be back. Family first, I admire that good luck with things to come, it's been great getting to talk to you about various things

• Like 2

I get it. I think anybody who's been in the hobby for several years has considered taking a break. I've often wondered how the heck you do everything that you do with such a young family. Kudos.

But when you think about it, the time commitment that you've put into setting it up isn't required to maintain it. You get such bold plans and new ideas for the tank which require time and resources.

Remember when this tank was nothing more than the mangroves with a single rock in it, and everybody thought it was killer? I could see you scaling back this tank to something like that again. Maintaining it in a very minimalistic approach for several years (maybe with just the surviving Emerald Crab). Shouldn't take much more work/time/money than taking care of the trees in a pot.

Anyway, you and your wife are capable of figuring out your priorities, and what you want to do with the space. It's not for us to decide, even though I'd like to see you maintain it. Good luck Brian, and thanks for sharing this brief but neat vision with us.

• Like 3

This saddens me deeply to read. A truly epic project from start to finish but you gotta do what you gotta do. I'd hang onto as much as you can equipment wise, you will never get your money back on it anyway.

• Like 1
defender.TX

This tank was an inspiration to me! Sorry you have to shut it down. When my wife was pregnant with our third we contemplated getting out of the reef hobby, but decided against it because I have no other hobbies and the kids we already had just love the tank.

Sorry to hear it! Come back soon :D .

• Like 1

Thanks guys! And I'm not going anywhere just taking a break from reefs. I grew up on the ocean and my wife says I have saltwater for blood, I think I'll be back, but then I can't tell maybe soon maybe not. They tank is now empty and I'm thinking of maybe setting up something small or ez. But I'll have to see what I have time for. And yeah I think I might just keep all the gear.

• Like 2
Mr. Microscope

Dang Giga! It's been a good ride. Though I understand the pressures.

Keep us updated on life. I hope your breakdown goes smoothly.

Looking forward to more on your vivariums.

• Like 2

Awe, that is too bad...

Understandable though! I suppose I will just have to reef twice as hard to make up for your lack of reefing, Giga! hahaha

Keep the Viv updates coming! That is a hobby I need to get back into soon... I miss breeding darts! I was always a fan of thumbs. I bred green lamasi (when they were still lamasi). So much fun!

• Like 1
NirvanaandTool

Do what you gotta do man. This is a time consuming hobby and its tough with young kids. But I'm betting you aren't out for long, none of us can stay out of this hobby for too long.

• Like 1
Awe, that is too bad...

Understandable though! I suppose I will just have to reef twice as hard to make up for your lack of reefing, Giga! hahaha

Keep the Viv updates coming! That is a hobby I need to get back into soon... I miss breeding darts! I was always a fan of thumbs. I bred green lamasi (when they were still lamasi). So much fun!

This is what I'm gonna focus on, and maybe start makin some $$ too

defender.TX

Don't worry - he'll be back. This hobby is like a drug, relapse is almost inevitable.

(No offense to recovering addicts, just a joke :D ).