Pod Your Reef

Mangrove Forest-time to say goodbye

Giga

Nooooooo!!! :( Sorry to hear man. I am sure it will be up and going again soon.

Oh no! :wacko:

Sorry to hear :( Love this tank!

Oh man, that is garbola... sorry to hear about the crash.

You'll bounce that thing back; I am not worried one little bit.

thanks guys! and I am taking paypal gifts right now LOL

• Like 2

That sucks about the losses. I'm curious to hear what caused it once you get home.

I am also curious to see what kind of changes you're making!

• Like 1

You strike me as a person that's very calculated, you think things out thoroughly so I have no doubt you'll find the cause.

• Like 1
That sucks about the losses. I'm curious to hear what caused it once you get home.

I am also curious to see what kind of changes you're making!

That's too bad! I'm sure you'll stabilize it and everything will be looking good before you know it.
Any news on what went wrong. Loved this tank so much, you'll persevere.
You strike me as a person that's very calculated, you think things out thoroughly so I have no doubt you'll find the cause.
This totally sucks! This has been one of my all time favorest tanks/builds! :(

Thanks guy it took me a while to figure it out but it would seem a heater got stuck and over heated the tank. I keep the house at 78 during the summer and the tank heated up to 89 degrees. The mangroves are fine but most the livestock and coral went bye bye, as lots more was dead when I got home. It also seemed to cause a bacteria bloom which compounded the issue, the water it slightly murky white. So I think that and the bloom was to much for most everything. Though my emerald crab is going strong lol

Thanks guy it took me a while to figure it out but it would seem a heater got stuck and over heated the tank. I keep the house at 78 during the summer and the tank heated up to 89 degrees. The mangroves are fine but most the livestock and coral went bye bye, as lots more was dead when I got home. It also seemed to cause a bacteria bloom which compounded the issue, the water it slightly murky white. So I think that and the bloom was to much for most everything. Though my emerald crab is going strong lol

That is a bummer man, I am sorry to hear that, at least it wasn't a total loss. A few large water changes and you will be back on your way!

• Like 1

That is a bummer man, I am sorry to hear that, at least it wasn't a total loss. A few large water changes and you will be back on your way!

Yeah that's the plan!

Aww man that sucks.

Probably the last thing you want to hear but good time to buy a controller of some sort. Heaters suck, all of them.

Honestly I have an apex and the only thing I really use it for is controlling the heater, displaying the temp/pH and feeding mode. Sure it can do a lot more but Im lazy and its not exactly user friendly. Dont have to spring for something that high though. They sell many controllers in the $50 range that serve as a good backup for whenever the heater fails.

Anyway Im sure you will spring back quick. This is still an awesome build, just took a few steps in the wrong way.

• Like 1
Polarcollision

Oh man, this is the last thing I wanted to read over here. Like everyone else, I'm sure you'll have it back to top notch condition in no time.

+1 to the controller solution above. I have a heater set to 80 degrees and let the reefkeeper turn it on and off at 78.5 via a temp probe. If the reefkeeper fails, the temp will only rise to 80 degrees. If the heater fails--as they seem eager to do--the reefkeeper keeps it in line.

• Like 1
NirvanaandTool

Dang sorry to hear about the crash.

Another chime in on a simple controller for heater control. I've used RKL's and Reef Angels in the past for this. Just something to do secondary control of the heater just in case. I never trust heaters no matter what the brand is. You could always get a Ranco for heater control too.

• Like 1

yeah I have since bought a controller for the heaters, but I've never had a ehiem heater fail on me-but never say never I guess. Mangroves are still doing well and I should be back up and running by this weekend with pics of the updates

• Like 2

Sorry to read this, your tank inspired me to start a mangrove tank. Still in the gathering stages but hope to have it up in the next week. Good luck going forward.

defender.TX

Man, Ryan from BRS TV claims that's the number 1 cause of tank crashes, sorry that it happened to you! What kind of heater was it?

• Like 1

Hey guys, after much talk with my wife and thinking, I'm going to take a break from saltwater. We may have another kid in the near future and with haveing so many hobbies my time is becoming too thin. Im gonna focus on my bonsai and vivariums- since ther is no work compared reef tanks. I'm just gonna put the mangroves in a bonsai pot and add them to my collection. I have had a reef tank for 7 years in some fashion or another and with this tank crash I think it's time to take a few years off. This tank will most likly turn into a vivarium as I still enjoy the reef hobby just don't have the time for so many hobbies. I will also be selling of most my stuff as well. It's bitter sweet but I think it the right call right now in my life. Also this is not good bye as I'll still update my vivarium and be on here I just won't have a reef tank for now.

• Like 6