Coral Vue Hydros

Mangrove Forest-time to say goodbye

Giga

So, is that a dwarf cypress then?

I think i mentioned it a few posts ago but it's conocarpus erectus(aka buttonwood)

That's is going to look great next to the mangroves. With the light shining through the leaves, there will be some great shadows.

Yeah I might re work my lighting so that it has a more dramatic feel like this-like adding optics,lowering power to some and directing the light.

• Like 2
Cameron6796

That would be nice but he only has so much and button wood look so good in formal, plus idk how well they shape once they get woody

• Like 1

That's going to look really nice jutting out over the water, little shadow underneath for fish to hide in.

IMO make the buttonwood a cascade bonsai so it hangs just over the water!

thats the idea!

That would be nice but he only has so much and button wood look so good in formal, plus idk how well they shape once they get woody

I plan on splitting the trunk and carving the other half and creating a canopy over the water. They will bend but just takes a little patients

• Like 1

Wait your going to split the trunk? I didn't even know you could do that with out risking the little thing dying.

I mean I have seen lighting strikes on trees that have been split and survived. But its about 50/50 on it surviving that sort of devastation.

• Like 1

Wait your going to split the trunk? I didn't even know you could do that with out risking the little thing dying.

I mean I have seen lighting strikes on trees that have been split and survived. But its about 50/50 on it surviving that sort of devastation.

Buttonwood that grow on the cost are naturally tortured , and have only a thin vein that is live-Just google buttonwood bonsai or juniper and they have lots of dead per live vein.

Polarcollision

Do you mean like this,attachicon.gifimage.jpg

So most of the wood looks old and like drift wood and the rest is lively

Beautiful classic bonsai. I used to keep them, but got too impatient waiting for them to grow fat gnarled trunks.

• Like 1
Cameron6796

... And Giga disappears for a few weeks again lol. Seems like the case for a lot of users with abusive tanks... Enough with the teasing.

• Like 1

Huh, interesting. Learn something new every day.

Makes life fun!

Do you mean like this,attachicon.gifimage.jpg

So most of the wood looks old and like drift wood and the rest is lively

Yep! But mine won't have white dead wood as, that made with lime sulphur, which is pretty nasty stuff.

Beautiful classic bonsai. I used to keep them, but got too impatient waiting for them to grow fat gnarled trunks.

The best thing is just to have more trees to work on. This way you don't over work ur trees and possibly love them to death lol.

... And Giga disappears for a few weeks again lol. Seems like the case for a lot of users with abusive tanks... Enough with the teasing.

:) I guess I need to make an effort to be on here more. I'm always busy and don't get on all the time. I just spent the weekend collecting new bonsai and working on some others. I can take a bunch of pics if ya want,of a few of my new trees. Also I'll snap a few of my tank in a day or two as soon as the bottoms done. I ran into a snap but nothing I can't figure out. I'll try and have a pics on every page from now on.

:) I guess I need to make an effort to be on here more. I'm always busy and don't get on all the time. I just spent the weekend collecting new bonsai and working on some others. I can take a bunch of pics if ya want,of a few of my new trees. Also I'll snap a few of my tank in a day or two as soon as the bottoms done. I ran into a snap but nothing I can't figure out. I'll try and have a pics on every page from now on.

I was just about to say there is too much chit chat. lol

• Like 1
I was just about to say there is too much chit chat. lol

;)

Its easy to love bonsai to death. I have done it a few times...

Yes lets see those bonsai!

I'll take some pics tomorrow

Also I've been making a bunch if water lately so I've decided to upgrade my mighty mite to this

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1DUALHR/Dual-Home-Reef-with-Tank-Faucet-for-under-the-sink.html

Also I needed more flow so I've just ordered a wp10 to test it out!

Bwain, eh? /montypythonquote

Would you recommend the bonsia4me Bonsai Basics for someone just getting into the hobby?

Yes it's a great site. Just read everything, I still go to the site now and again when I forget. Also youtube is a good place. Lots of videos

DK also has a nice little primer book covering the basics. I picked it up at Hasteings back when I decided I wanted to try it. Think I paid like $5 for the book.

• Like 1

Evanski your starting bonsai... Got a tree yet?

lol it auto corrected so badly

Thinking about it...I tried a few earlier in life with no success. Just a lack of good information.

DK also has a nice little primer book covering the basics. I picked it up at Hasteings back when I decided I wanted to try it. Think I paid like $5 for the book.

Will look into this...have a title for me to look up?

GigaBrian has inspired me to try again.

• Like 1

BONSAI! :P Most of my bonsai are just collected so they don't look like much right now-Since I restarted my collection last year when I bought my house-but give it time and there all look great.soda can for size reference

unknown maple(left collected last week-gonna be a tall root over rock down the road), Bosnian pine(middle) Freeman maple(Right-suffered a bad ant attack last year but is doing great this year!)

uu16.jpg

Nine bark diablo(left-ran out of thick tie down wire :lol: ) Japanese black pine(middle) Crepe myrtle(right)

uda7.jpg

The 9 bark is one of my fav's that I have right now-there are a couple issues but for right now i'm just gonna let it grow as I just potted it.

bp7k.jpg

A literati juniper in the works

3hpy.jpg

Another unknown maple that I collected this year-that I've had my eye one for the last couple years. It has very unique roots and most of it is buried right now but it will be pretty unique once in a bonsai pot and developed-I'm going for a tree nature produced rather then a typical tree-also that wound has cut paste on it. Also can see the new benches I'm building for more bonsai

u4xp.jpg

Another crazy exposed root one and grows like mad. I got this last fall when someone was digging it up in their yard. I asked and he said sure I don't want it. I have no idea what it is if anyone has an ID-don't mind the massive zip tie. I ran out of wire and use that to tie it down. It's pretty heavy so, once the roots establish I should be able to remove the tie.

kpgf.jpg

close up of the roots

xy6t.jpg

leaf

azcj.jpg

• Like 5