Cultivated Reef

Mangrove Forest-time to say goodbye

Giga

Beautiful! Well done Giga. How are you supporting it? Are you using fiberglass rod and a base of some sort?

there's no base and I'm just using roots to support it. plus the sand is so fine it form a suction that even without the supports it stays in place. Once I'm done I'll take some pics

Lookin forward to seeing how it looks with the full tank shot. I love exposed rocks.

Thank, should be pretty cool!

I was skeptical, but you nailed it. Awesome work

me too, and I was getting frustrated as I couldn't get it right, till I finally did, which took a while

Looks awesome. Great work. Can't wait to see a FTS and underwater pics in the future.

hope it won't take long

Omg bonsai!!!!!!!! Gonna be so cool, have you kept bonsai before/currently

it's actually the first I hobby I got into when I was young, like 12 years ago, I have a full bonsai garden in my back yard now. The bonsai going in this I've actually never owned before so it should be pretty fun!

omgomgomg

omgomgomg

so nice

:lol:

giga,

can i move in so i can just watch you build things?

love jr

:) help with the bills I'm cool with it

Also not sure if I've said it but my name is Brian

GIGABRIAN

Dats me!

Looking good Brian!

Also, I think you should do this with that rock that sticks out above the water. kthnx.

1920561_10152275299584806_1466873463_n.j

I've seen that before and while cool I think it'll be too distracting for this build, but who knows?!

Brian's my fathers name, lol what kind of bonsai is it, how are you going to repot... Re rock without getting dirt in tank.

Teach me your ways of bonsai lol i really want one...please lol PM me if you have any tips

A good site to start is bonsai4me. It's a great site with lots of info. And http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/forum is a good fourm. I take full picture detail when I plant the bonsai, and it a conocarpus erectus.

• Like 2

i am excited to see the bonsai, i was considering doing a similar idea with a freshwater planted tank

I though that too, a tank with a bunch of bald cypress and black water with a school of tetras, would be pretty rad, But bald cypress are not tropical so that won't work lol

Also I don't have this bonsai yet as it boarding in Florida till the weather warms up

• Like 1

I love it, great concept and execution, after seeing this I conclude mangroves should never be in a sump.

I have always felt this way. This tank just reinforces it :)

Looking good Brian!

Also, I think you should do this with that rock that sticks out above the water. kthnx.

1920561_10152275299584806_1466873463_n.j

Do it and paint a miniature fishing off the dock. ;)

I though that too, a tank with a bunch of bald cypress and black water with a school of tetras, would be pretty rad, But bald cypress are not tropical so that won't work lol

Black water tanks are interesting. Most of my planted tanks are almost black water when they start out as I use locally sourced wood out of the drift piles along the river bank. They tend to have a lot of tannins. I have gotten so used to the water turning a pee color that it kind of freaks me out when I finally drain water from one of those tanks and its clear...

• Like 1

Also I don't have this bonsai yet as it boarding in Florida till the weather warms up

yea i have a SWEET tank in the backyard, 24x24x9. I wanted to do a really cool paludarium style with a nice hardscape above the water line. I just am not sure what type of bonsai would do well under intense lighting

• Like 1
I have always felt this way. This tank just reinforces it :)

Do it and paint a miniature fishing off the dock. ;)

Black water tanks are interesting. Most of my planted tanks are almost black water when they start out as I use locally sourced wood out of the drift piles along the river bank. They tend to have a lot of tannins. I have gotten so used to the water turning a pee color that it kind of freaks me out when I finally drain water from one of those tanks and its clear...

We have a massive bald cypress swamp here and the water is almost black and it's really cool. Ilm thinking of setting up a black water tank. I think it would be pretty cool.

yea i have a SWEET tank in the backyard, 24x24x9. I wanted to do a really cool paludarium style with a nice hardscape above the water line. I just am not sure what type of bonsai would do well under intense lighting

If it out side any bonsai would be fine. Bonsai are trees and need to be kept outside. Only a few can grow in water and not rot like bald cypress. Only tropical bonsai like ficus and such can be kept inside and only with proper lighting, and even then only in winter if your area drops below 50 degrees. My mangrove would do much better if kept outside as there no substitute for the sun.

We have a massive bald cypress swamp here and the water is almost black and it's really cool. Ilm thinking of setting up a black water tank. I think it would be pretty cool.

The really bright tetra's, neons and the like, really look amazing in dark water.

They really look cool with spotlighting types of lighting set ups. You get huge flashes of color when they swim through the light but other wise they are nearly invisible. I have seen it a few times online in videos.

• Like 1
The really bright tetra's, neons and the like, really look amazing in dark water.

They really look cool with spotlighting types of lighting set ups. You get huge flashes of color when they swim through the light but other wise they are nearly invisible. I have seen it a few times online in videos.

Oh the wheels are turning

Cameron6796

A good site to start is bonsai4me. It's a great site with lots of info. And http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/forum'>http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/forum is a good fourm. I take full picture detail when I plant the bonsai, and it a conocarpus erectus.

I will check it out, lol of course it's a mangrove, do you have any indoor bonsai, I think they would work better for me my winters are really harsh

... I'll try not to hijack this thread to much

• Like 1

If it out side any bonsai would be fine. Bonsai are trees and need to be kept outside. Only a few can grow in water and not rot like bald cypress. Only tropical bonsai like ficus and such can be kept inside and only with proper lighting, and even then only in winter if your area drops below 50 degrees. My mangrove would do much better if kept outside as there no substitute for the sun.

unfortunately I'm in Las Vegas. The tank would absolutely need to be insid. When temps reach 120 not much would be living in a tank lol
  • Like 1

Yupon Holly are fairly forgiving and can be grown indoors. Box wood can also be grown in doors. Both can be acquired at the big box home stores for less then $10 in the shrubby section. Look for one with a nice base and you can slowly trim them down. Ficus are a popular indoor bonsai though I personally do not like them much.
I had a really nice looking Yupon that randomly died on me after 2 years. I finally had started to get the shape I was wanting too. I still have its skeleton I cannot bring my self to throw it away. <_<

• Like 1

Absolutely stunning rock work for that bonsai. Maybe consider adding a fiddler crab, I feel it would be right at home among that partially submerged rock.

• Like 1

I will check it out, lol of course it's a mangrove, do you have any indoor bonsai, I think they would work better for me my winters are really harsh

... I'll try not to hijack this thread to much

The only indoor bonsai I have are the buttonwood and mangroves, I don't have any setup for indoor bonsai right now

I just looked up that tree on google images. Wow. This tank is out of this world and looks to only improve.

Thank you

unfortunately I'm in Las Vegas. The tank would absolutely need to be insid. When temps reach 120 not much would be living in a tank lol

Derp thats hot

Yupon Holly are fairly forgiving and can be grown indoors. Box wood can also be grown in doors. Both can be acquired at the big box home stores for less then $10 in the shrubby section. Look for one with a nice base and you can slowly trim them down. Ficus are a popular indoor bonsai though I personally do not like them much.

I had a really nice looking Yupon that randomly died on me after 2 years. I finally had started to get the shape I was wanting too. I still have its skeleton I cannot bring my self to throw it away. <_<

I have a yupon holly bonsai I'll take a pic of it, never grew either indoors, but since they grow in Florida I image they could do ok indoors

Absolutely stunning rock work for that bonsai. Maybe consider adding a fiddler crab, I feel it would be right at home among that partially submerged rock.

I just might :)

Giga, you are a god, nuff said.

And one the 8th day he created the mangrove forest and said he was pleased lol