Pod Your Reef

Mangrove Forest-time to say goodbye

Giga

Yupon's didn't winter well in this area so I just had him in a pot in the south facing window. Seemed to work well enough.
Did you know you can make a highly caffeinated tea with their leaves? (though it can have unpleasant side effects, read up before you think about drinking it.)

Dang it you are making me want to try bonsai again. Maybe I can find the perfect azalea bush this year....

• Like 1
Cameron6796

Wait what would I have to do for the winter for a outdoor bonsai,

I've heard things like a garage or shed if it gets to cold

• Like 1
Cameron6796

I'm in Canada so winters are unpredictable and I want something simple and hardy, how are maple trees, they are very canadian lol

• Like 2

Japanese Maples are a classic. :) Not sure of their hardiness in relation to that sort of cold.

You can always do what you said and put it in the garage. I have some more tropic plants that spend the summer outside and get moved into the house for winter (They still think it is winter as its around 60 in the house during the winter.)

I am going to walmart at almost 1 am to get some stuff I realized I was out of in the house, and need rather badly. I think I am going to check the shrubs....

• Like 1

Wait what would I have to do for the winter for a outdoor bonsai,

I've heard things like a garage or shed if it gets to cold

I'm in Canada so winters are unpredictable and I want something simple and hardy, how are maple trees, they are very canadian lol

Trident maple may be a better choice starting out, as they are hardier and more forgiving then Japanese maples.P runus glandulosa(flowering almond) is ez and hardy to -30 and very pretty. Prunus or some of my favorites trees. Also Pines are very tough but they are not ez as bonsai

Japanese Maples are a classic. :) Not sure of their hardiness in relation to that sort of cold.

You can always do what you said and put it in the garage. I have some more tropic plants that spend the summer outside and get moved into the house for winter (They still think it is winter as its around 60 in the house during the winter.)

I am going to walmart at almost 1 am to get some stuff I realized I was out of in the house, and need rather badly. I think I am going to check the shrubs....

yeah my trees go in my garage for the winter when it get too cold but I'm building a cold frame outside this year to house the more sensitive bonsai. I have a massive and great nursery where I live and some good stock can be found from nursery stock on occasion. I'm going up in the mountains for Easter this year, and to hunt for some old tree's. I'll take lots of pics of my adventure!

Amazing root structure! Stunning growth.

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person with aerial roots on their mangroves, and indoors on top of that. I could be wrong as I've not seen every tank in the world :)

The first thing I tried was a type of ever green. Only to discover I was quite allergic and couldn't keep it in my dorm room. Needless to say it didn't last very long.

Old trees are very cool I love how some of them manage to cling to life far beyond what should have killed them.

I just like to buy my shrubs when they go on sale, which rarely happens at any of the local nursery's. We do have some good ones though.

My mangrove roots are starting to get long enough that I am going to try to get a few of them aerial soon. Any tips on that process? I also need to affix the one in my planted fresh water tank he likes to drift around to much. Though he is growing a bit faster then the ones in the marine tank.

• Like 1

The first thing I tried was a type of ever green. Only to discover I was quite allergic and couldn't keep it in my dorm room. Needless to say it didn't last very long.

Old trees are very cool I love how some of them manage to cling to life far beyond what should have killed them.

I just like to buy my shrubs when they go on sale, which rarely happens at any of the local nursery's. We do have some good ones though.

My mangrove roots are starting to get long enough that I am going to try to get a few of them aerial soon. Any tips on that process? I also need to affix the one in my planted fresh water tank he likes to drift around to much. Though he is growing a bit faster then the ones in the marine tank.

yeah old twisted tree's that have struggled to stay alive are the most magnificent and awesome, and are usually very old.

Aerial roots and the roots that mangroves put out in the water are not the same. I never brought the roots out of the water. The aerial roots I have form from higher up on the trunk. The aerial roots grow different and have a protective layer, but you can slowly lower the water lvl and that will have the same effect.

Ugh so confused lol I'll figure it out haha

OMG google trident maple and I thing I need like twelve of them

it's funny, it's very common bonsai but I have yet to get one lol

Aren't you concerned the bonsai soil will run into tank

nope-bonsai soil is very different then potting soil. I make my own and it's just lava rock,pumice, pine bark and a splash of horticultural charcoal. For this I will substitute the pine bark for something reef safe.

looks awesome! nice work

Thanks!

I think you could probably use coconut fiber. Heck you probably could use poly fiber.

Thanks for the tip I think I am going to start slowly rising them up then. Mostly was just wanting to make sure the roots were fine and properly developed before I started moving them.

• Like 1

I think you could probably use coconut fiber. Heck you probably could use poly fiber.

Thanks for the tip I think I am going to start slowly rising them up then. Mostly was just wanting to make sure the roots were fine and properly developed before I started moving them.

cocofiber is pretty much like dirt so I may not use that-I'll have to see what I have or come up with something.

I meant lowering the water lvl not pulling them out of the substrate. Don't disturb the roots that way. Or you could siphon the sand away slowly. Just don't pull them up-while the may surve it's not a good practice.

I just don't know what I'm going to use for lighting if I do indoor, radion...not lol.

Diy for me, I can have full spectrum and control what I want. The luxeon z seem interesting

• Like 1
Cameron6796

... What kind if led, flourescent, led?

Lol I was just going to use flourescent lights but I didn't know what bulb colours to use

• Like 1

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person with aerial roots on their mangroves, and indoors on top of that. I could be wrong as I've not seen every tank in the world :)

You forgot to add "for now" after mangroves up there. ;)

Let's see. my mangroves buds are just sprouting leaves so, ok let's talk in 5-10 years. :P

Do you think they grow faster outdoors in a pot as compared to being in a tank?

• Like 1

... What kind if led, flourescent, led?

Lol I was just going to use flourescent lights but I didn't know what bulb colours to use

just do a full spectrum led's-and be more heavy on the whites and reds

I've gone 6 days without a new picture of your tank. Unacceptable! :)

^^ this is true... Maybe a ones ai pic or two, subliminal tree messaging

see below

Yeah the roots are not in substrate yet they are not quite that far down. Was considering putting them in an acrylic box soon with substrate .

sounds like a plan!

You forgot to add "for now" after mangroves up there. ;)

Let's see. my mangroves buds are just sprouting leaves so, ok let's talk in 5-10 years. :P

Do you think they grow faster outdoors in a pot as compared to being in a tank?

yes much better then indoors-just put them in something with water and watch them grow

Remember that cypress swamp?

https://imageshack.com/i/nhjg3dj'>jg3d.jpg

https://imageshack.com/i/5spey9j'>pey9.jpg

https://imageshack.com/i/16n48jj'>n48j.jpg

Here's the bonsai that's going in the rock-yes it's sideways as that the way it's gonna be planted :P

https://imageshack.com/i/0n9iqlj'>9iql.jpg

• Like 6
Mr. Microscope

Remember that cypress swamp?

Here's the bonsai that's going in the rock-yes it's sideways as that the way it's gonna be planted :P

9iql.jpg

So, is that a dwarf cypress then?
  • Like 1