Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mangrove Forest-time to say goodbye

Giga

NOOOO, the adorable angel. I am definitely going to have one in my new tank or possibly a harem. I've been reading up on the do corals and don't corals specifically noxious corals that don't produce a heavy slime coat but not zoanthids will work pretty well with centropyge. Xenia, colt, mushrooms(not ricordeas though), finger leathers to name some.

Also consensus on them has been to only add them to the tank after you're done adding corals as to minimize the curiosity that occurs when something new is introduced.

With that being said and my obvious enthusiasm for this specific fish being beside the point, have you thought of a school of chromis in the tank? I feel like they would look great swimming in and out of the root system.

• Like 2

That would be impressive, won't the angel nom on your corals thoughM

Edit... Awkward clearly I need to read to the most recent post before I post lol

Lol I was quoting you as you edited that

Sorry about the angel. I like your idea of the wrasse though. Would add a lot of movement and you certainly have plenty of sand bed for it. Good luck with the corals!

Blue star leapard wrasse is one of my fav fish.

Definantly some acans!!

The lighting for this tank is around 8k so most acan won't look orgasmic like in most tanks, I'm going to be adding to royal blue track lighting to highlight coral areas. Once that's done I'm be getting so color acans fer sure!

NOOOO, the adorable angel. I am definitely going to have one in my new tank or possibly a harem. I've been reading up on the do corals and don't corals specifically noxious corals that don't produce a heavy slime coat but not zoanthids will work pretty well with centropyge. Xenia, colt, mushrooms(not ricordeas though), finger leathers to name some.

Also consensus on them has been to only add them to the tank after you're done adding corals as to minimize the curiosity that occurs when something new is introduced.

With that being said and my obvious enthusiasm for this specific fish being beside the point, have you thought of a school of chromis in the tank? I feel like they would look great swimming in and out of the root system.

He's in the sump right now I'm gonna give him another shot in the tank after a couple days, and see how it goes. He went after the zoas and sps so id imagen he'd go after all corals, but well see. I plan on having a big school of cardinals though chromis would be nice as there so ez to find

• Like 1

Signature worthy

... So if you using 8k how will that effect other corals not just Acans colours

I guess we shall see, the pics on the previous page are pretty close. Blues tend to stand out more with this lighting so gonna try and get my hand on a deep blue stag and a red Millie for my next sps, and maybe a frogspawn I've always wanted one

• Like 2

Everything FTS-it's not this dark it's just the camera being poopy

h9m6.jpg

That's insane! I've never seen mangroves that large in a tank before. It looks amazing! Im jealous :P

• Like 2

Giga, this tank is looking better and better. Those large mangroves are so awesome! They provide a nice point of focus, though it is exciting to see some corals entering the tank. I imagine what it will look like in a year or so and I see good things!

• Like 3

Great pics Giga, i've been holding out for a FTS for ages now. A real shame about the angel, it is a cool fish. Have you considered a Candy Yellow Hogfish for that burst of yellow or one of the sand dwelling wrasses? I think Bangaii Cardinals would be cool in this tank as they are often found around mangroves in the wild.

• Like 2

http://reefbuilders.com/2013/12/18/building-coral-aquarium-coraleating-lemonpeel-angelfish/

You might be able to get away with certain softies, Gorgonians, and Euphyllias.

The Blue Star will jump without a lid or mesh! They spook easy.

Love the tank, though!

I'm more of an sps'ish guy so I'll have to look into other fish, to bad I really like him

That's insane! I've never seen mangroves that large in a tank before. It looks amazing! Im jealous :P

Thanks! I'm pretty sure this tank is a one of a kind

Giga, this tank is looking better and better. Those large mangroves are so awesome! They provide a nice point of focus, though it is exciting to see some corals entering the tank. I imagine what it will look like in a year or so and I see good things!

Thanks man! It will be awesome to see this tank mature. It's funny this is the first time, now that the tank is setup, I'm not trying to change anything. I'm at peace with the tank :happy:

Maybe more rock?

I was actually thinking about that today and I may add one more small piece behind the mangroves, to add depth, and move the front rocks a little to the right.

Great pics Giga, i've been holding out for a FTS for ages now. A real shame about the angel, it is a cool fish. Have you considered a Candy Yellow Hogfish for that burst of yellow or one of the sand dwelling wrasses? I think Bangaii Cardinals would be cool in this tank as they are often found around mangroves in the wild.

that's a pretty cool fish. I debating about adding another cardinal as well, I want a school of 10 blue eyes and don't want to go crazy with the fish

• Like 2

Thanks man! It will be awesome to see this tank mature. It's funny this is the first time, now that the tank is setup, I'm not trying to change anything. I'm at peace with the tank :happy:

It's not hard with a tank that good looking ;)

• Like 1

It's not hard with a tank that good looking ;)

:lol:

I want to wade in it.

I've almost done that-to clean the back glass I climbed into the cubby and its a tight fit. Almost lost my balance and went for a dip. Let just say I don't do that anymore :rolleyes:

:lol:

I've almost done that-to clean the back glass I climbed into the cubby and its a tight fit. Almost lost my balance and went for a dip. Let just say I don't do that anymore :rolleyes:

If you're wife took a pic that woulda been a first...Yep, swallowed up by my fishtank.

• Like 2

I'm surprised this hasn't been picked up by something like Advanced Aquarist or similar yet

I don't really follow those so if it does let me know(though I'd suspect they'd contact me too)

I don't really follow those so if it does let me know(though I'd suspect they'd contact me too)

it's the only thing on my facebook feed that doesn't have political bias or involve someone getting married / being obnoxious at this point

• Like 1

That's a pretty awesome tank. love the bonsai mangroves. what type of mangroves are those? (sorry couldn't read through the 48 pages).

they are red mangroves

it's the only thing on my facebook feed that doesn't have political bias or involve someone getting married / being obnoxious at this point

I deleted my FB account like 2 years ago lol

On another note I just picked up some supplements, this means things are getting serious!I also pick up 3 stoplight cardinals, which I was surprised to see,considering there very uncommon-the lights are out but pics tomorrow!

• Like 1

This is going to be crazy awesome with the swedish fish cruisin through the roots.

that took me a second, I was like "these are not from Sweden?....!..... :lol: "

• Like 1

they are red mangroves

Sweet! You've definitely given me an inspiration to do something like yours. I got like 12 mangrove pods growing out. Guess I'll just have to wait 3 years to make into a bonsai lol. Mine are like 6 months old but got only 4 leaves.

• Like 2

Sweet! You've definitely given me an inspiration to do something like yours. I got like 12 mangrove pods growing out. Guess I'll just have to wait 3 years to make into a bonsai lol. Mine are like 6 months old but got only 4 leaves.

I have a guide in the macro algae section you can take a look at, or in my sig

Are you really thinking to add corals to this tank? I wouldn't though. It looks so clean this way. If you really want to, I would suggest you add some small pieces extending from the rocks you have right now so it does not ruin the clean look.

• Like 1