Innovative Marine Aquariums

Ombré Alley [ADA Mini S] TOTM *Retired*

xcom

omg no way! I'm hoping to go into industrial design in college! Are you out of school yet?

Yes, out of school and kicking it LOL. I will PM you about your questions

• Like 1

Sounds good. Will you be hanging the nano box as well?

No luck with the vega huh? lol.

Well, I liked it until I accidentally BLEACHED the crap out of my rics..... They are strong.... Plus I always think it is an overkill over my pico anyway, esp I never run it full power haha.

• Like 1
Deleted User 4

Well, I liked it until I accidentally BLEACHED the crap out of my rics..... They are strong.... Plus I always think it is an overkill over my pico anyway, esp I never run it full power haha.

Yeah, well the good side to having it in case you decide to upgrade to a bigger tank.

Other wise there's no point really. Do you see yourself upgrading in the future?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

How's the tank coming along? Zero filtration yet?? :)

The tank is doing just fine, I got side track on my personal projects... But now I have a little more time for it, I will post some updates soon.

Where's this sex tape?

Oh and nice tank. Love the ric garden. :)

It is somewhere in this thread LOL I forgot what page....

Some semi non-pic updates, I finally had my hand free and working on the cabinet. I decided to go with fancier material (*hint: Marble!) with my tight budget :blink: (is this even possible?). I will take some snapshots of the build soon! As far as the tank, I took out the big rock on the left side, and simplified the aquascape a little bit.

• Like 1

i'm rather disappointed at my AI Vega (Color version). I think it is too blue...., but the problem is that orange/yellow/red/green colors in coral don't really pop, only during actinic when royal blue is pumping like crazy. I find the red/green LED is rather useless in a long run.

Anyone have any suggestion for this topic?

• Like 1

Well I have one red led with my blues and combined together, you get a purple look into the tank. I also have two warm whites and two ultra violets. I'm glad I only went with one red led haha or else my tank would be more purple...well bluer is always better for pop IMO. So I wouldn't be disappointed having your light ;)

i'm rather disappointed at my AI Vega (Color version). I think it is too blue...., but the problem is that orange/yellow/red/green colors in coral don't really pop, only during actinic when royal blue is pumping like crazy. I find the red/green LED is rather useless in a long run.

Thats my biggest complaint with "Full Spectrum" LED's. IMO there's no combination that can display those colors properly which is why many supplement LED's with T5's. Its the main reason I went back to halides.

• Like 1

Well I have one red led with my blues and combined together, you get a purple look into the tank. I also have two warm whites and two ultra violets. I'm glad I only went with one red led haha or else my tank would be more purple...well bluer is always better for pop IMO. So I wouldn't be disappointed having your light ;)

Thats my biggest complaint with "Full Spectrum" LED's. IMO there's no combination that can display those colors properly which is why many supplement LED's with T5's. Its the main reason I went back to halides.

I really loved the color of ricordea under halides!! I missed it, but I thought it would be an overkill for this pico tank. That was the reason I went with LED (well my Vega is kinda overkill too so HAHAHA).

I'm thinking of NANO BOX REEF Tide unit since it has a combo of warm white, cyan, and violet LED..... but I'm skeptical of online images vs in person...... arg!

• Like 1

Nano box is nice. Your only choice is probably the nano box...unless you're willing to go with buildmyled fixture, but thing is with bml you have less controlability. I have a Bml fixture customized and I love it so far.

Here's my 18" light fixture. You can get the 12" long one($120).

http://www.bmlcustom.com/custom-led-strip/

10700461446_b4eebdf59c_n.jpg10700628843_84b2e59847_n.jpg10700381475_7350281f4e_n.jpg10700451256_b4ec02790d_n.jpg
10700425284_5e0bbd2170_n.jpg10702311005_fbda68c3b9_n.jpgAt 2%.

Or you can buying a hanging kit, and do this.

10374528756_0befe5cc7e_n.jpg
Example by iscolymia, on Flickr

• Like 1

I'm doing some IKEA hack for my cabinet! Why? I like custom finishes without the hefty tags!

Here are the ingredients:

1) IKEA Sink Cabinet: $59.99 (It has plastic laminate veer, great for water splashes while cleaning tank, etc, good inside shelves for all the gadgets)

(http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50205155/)

lillangen-sink-cabinet-with--doors__0121

2) Polish White Carrara Marble Top (at local marble yard): $80

3) Base + Leg *COMING SOON* but here is the teaser: $??? (I need to get an estimate for this)

ScreenShot2013-11-17at120443AM_zps95cb2d

• Like 2
jedimasterben

Low-CRI high-CCT cool white LEDs. The same thing I've been saying over and over and over and over in the lighting forum ;)

If you know anyone that can do reflow, you can have them take the pucks, remove the crappy white LEDs and replace them with something that is high-CRI in the 3500-4000K range. I think that Steve's LEDs can do that for you for really cheap as long as you supply the LEDs.

Yay marble slab fit nicely! Now I need to get the base done and swap my current stand out!!!!!

photo-2_zpsc1c356e3.jpg

Low-CRI high-CCT cool white LEDs.

This is so not my kind of language :rolleyes: LOL

Well sad news, one of my gobies went belly up for no reason maybe old age......

• Like 2