Pod Your Reef

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

Congrats man, we'll deserved! The wide angle lens seemed to decrease my shadowing, along with a better spread, I just installed it 15 min ago.

Thanks man! Let me know how things respond after a month or so. If you get some good results with shadowing/spread, post some before/afters up. I would like to see if they would help.

:flower: Happy TOTM.

Thank you Kat! :)

Thanks man! Let me know how things respond after a month or so. If you get some good results with shadowing/spread, post some before/afters up. I would like to see if they would help.

Thank you Kat! :)

I have a pic, I will toss it up on my thread. It seems more T5 ish if that makes any sense, the light spreads better, not only to the edge, but the shadowing in the middle of my tank around hte sps seems to be alot less, less like a single point source.

• Like 1

I have a pic, I will toss it up on my thread. It seems more T5 ish if that makes any sense, the light spreads better, not only to the edge, but the shadowing in the middle of my tank around hte sps seems to be alot less, less like a single point source.

What % are you running the radion @ with the new lens?

I stayed at 70% (20k) but also lowered the fixture since I got better spread from. 10" to 7"

Hmm.

Definitely well deserved

Thanks man!

I only run an mp40 and find I cant turn it up beyond 40%, mind you this is a 3' long tank.

I only run an mp40 on my 40B and wish it went higher then 100% :wacko: lol

Congrats on the TOTM, Ark! :)

• Like 1

Something is really wrong then, I find 20-30% is perfect, and I only use the mp40, at 100% i can rip flesh off my lps on the other side of the tank. Maybe you need to clean the wetside or you have a wall of rock infront of it.

Something is really wrong then, I find 20-30% is perfect, and I only use the mp40, at 100% i can rip flesh off my lps on the other side of the tank. Maybe you need to clean the wetside or you have a wall of rock infront of it.

Nothing is wrong, I just like alot of flow. 20-30% is stagnant water to me.

• Like 4

Soo sweet, you deserve it.

Thanks guys! I am still surprised it was me. It is awesome to have been recognized like this. :)

Nothing is wrong, I just like alot of flow. 20-30% is stagnant water to me.

Mo flo!

• Like 3

You have a Kole tang. How does it do in your tank? My tank and your tank are roughly the same dimensions except mine 24w by 18 deep by 24 tall. I love the Kole tangs that's why I'm asking.

Also, congrats and very well deserved. Love how everything is so grown out and colorful.

• Like 1

You have a Kole tang. How does it do in your tank? My tank and your tank are roughly the same dimensions except mine 24w by 18 deep by 24 tall. I love the Kole tangs that's why I'm asking.

Also, congrats and very well deserved. Love how everything is so grown out and colorful.

Thank you so much!

Honestly, I believe the kole tang is doing just fine in my tank. It is not very high energy and I have not seen it pacing the tank at all. It seems to graze and hang by the rocks more than open swimming. It does swim above the rocks some, but not a ton. I bought mine at about 1.5'' and it is about 2-2.25'' right now. I think that it should be ok for a couple more years before I have to worry about finding a larger tank for it. I say get one if you want one. They are awesome fish and can be well in a 24x24 footprint, so I think it could be ok in your 24x18 regardless of what the tang police say ;)

• Like 1

Thank you so much!

Honestly, I believe the kole tang is doing just fine in my tank. It is not very high energy and I have not seen it pacing the tank at all. It seems to graze and hang by the rocks more than open swimming. It does swim above the rocks some, but not a ton. I bought mine at about 1.5'' and it is about 2-2.25'' right now. I think that it should be ok for a couple more years before I have to worry about finding a larger tank for it. I say get one if you want one. They are awesome fish and can be well in a 24x24 footprint, so I think it could be ok in your 24x18 regardless of what the tang police say ;)

Tang police shmang police I figure I've been in this hobby 7 years I'll do what I want (mostly lol). My tank isn't jammed full of rock either so it should have plenty of swim space if I get one small enough. I almost rescued one from the petco near my house a few weeks ago. I'll have to remove my clowns first and then reintroduce them after though. Things are jerks. We plan on upgrading in the next few years anyway so if we get one that outgrows the tank it will just be an excuse to upgrade. I want the 50 gallon long cadlights aquarium. Or something along those dimensions at least.

• Like 1

Tang police shmang police I figure I've been in this hobby 7 years I'll do what I want (mostly lol). My tank isn't jammed full of rock either so it should have plenty of swim space if I get one small enough. I almost rescued one from the petco near my house a few weeks ago. I'll have to remove my clowns first and then reintroduce them after though. Things are jerks. We plan on upgrading in the next few years anyway so if we get one that outgrows the tank it will just be an excuse to upgrade. I want the 50 gallon long cadlights aquarium. Or something along those dimensions at least.

Then I see no reason why you shouldn't get one. Let me know if you do! They are such pretty fish with their dark purple body and bright yellow eye.

I think I will. I've been looking for another active fish since we only have the clowns and the an orange firefish. I don't have a heck of a lot of algae in my tank, do you feed yours a sheet of seaweed on a clip or what?

I think I will. I've been looking for another active fish since we only have the clowns and the an orange firefish. I don't have a heck of a lot of algae in my tank, do you feed yours a sheet of seaweed on a clip or what?

I feed mine the same mix of frozen mysis, spirulina loaded brine, and pellets as my other fish, but I also put some unroasted nori in the tank with a piece of rubble and a rubber band. It didn't like it at first, but after I soaked it with garlic juice, the kole and all my other fish cannot get enough of nori with or without garlic. It's like crack to them.

Just make sure to get a smaller one.

• Like 2
Reefmaster1996

So far I've been lucky all the tangs I've ever had ate/eat everything I put in the tank. Congrats by the way, well deserved.

• Like 1

hey ark!

Why'd you decide to stop using your GFO?

I didn't need it. I could tell that it wasn't necessary because I was getting less growth and PE when I was using it vs when I was not.

So far I've been lucky all the tangs I've ever had ate/eat everything I put in the tank. Congrats by the way, well deserved.

Thanks man!

Fish-street?

That website looks so crummy. I was thinking about just ordering one from Hong Kong on Ebay and waiting a week to get it. Not sure.

iphone pic of the flame algae in the DT. I haven't decided if this is the permanent spot for it or not, but the camera does not lie about the colors I have on it :)

photo-5.jpg

• Like 2