inTank Media Baskets

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

Everything is looking amazing!

Any tips on growing out the hawkins and red dragon? I just purchased those, amongst a bunch of other frags, yesterday, and I really want them to stand out in my tank!

• Like 2

Everything is looking amazing!

Any tips on growing out the hawkins and red dragon? I just purchased those, amongst a bunch of other frags, yesterday, and I really want them to stand out in my tank!

Congrats on getting some frags of them. IME, I think that both of these particular corals like the water a little dirty (for an SPS tank). My red dragon is growing like gangbusters. I have them both under medium light and medium/high flow. Careful with para swings, especially nutrients. These two are the first to RTN if your water is too clean too fast or if you have an alk swing.

Yes, definitely :)

Glad to hear they are continuing to do better, that is good news for sure!

Yup! I am happy that I will likely not be coming home to a dead clam and a crashed tank.

Nice update Ark! Love that hawkins.

Ya, it is one of my favs. I have had this particular strain for over 2 years now. It is really making a comeback after I lost most of the colony when I first set up this tank.
  • Like 1

Some moar fotos:

Local Cali Central Coast aquacultured acro named "Edgar's Acro"

IMG_2581.jpg

Emerald Tabler still encrusting but bulking up

IMG_2582.jpg

Palmer's Blue Mille. I like watching this thing encrust :)

IMG_2584.jpg

Red dragon, strawberry shortcake (look at all that it is encrusting! :) ), purple bonsai acro, three ultimate blue stag

IMG_2573.jpg

The clams are doing better

IMG_2572.jpg

• Like 12

The palmers blue mille is by far my favorite of the milles. It might seem "plain" compared to some of the rainbows and what not but its just a bad ass tried and true sick mille.... that gets a brilliant shade of blue IMO.

• Like 1

The palmers blue mille is by far my favorite of the milles. It might seem "plain" compared to some of the rainbows and what not but its just a bad ass tried and true sick mille.... that gets a brilliant shade of blue IMO.

I agree. Totally one of my favorite corals.

I love palmers blue, I haven't seen it in these neck of the wood unfortunately. Your strawberry shortcake looks really healthy

I'll let you know when I have frags in a year lol.

Nice to see things doing better Indy![/quote

Thanks man! I'm very happy with things right now. It's a weird feeling :)

Nice collection of corals! Keep the pics coming please.

Thanks! I'll try to update more often.

• Like 1

Wow Ark, everything is looking amazing. You have some beautiful SPS pieces and some beautiful fish. A Kole Tang is a must have for me for when I eventually upgrade to something larger.

• Like 1

Tested Ca and dkh this morning. I was at 7.7 dkh and 350 Ca. I think I need to up the dosing a bit. My SPS are thirsty!

I bet that makes fragging easier. It looks really thick like it'd be difficult to cut though.

The parts on the sand and that try to grow over the zoas are pretty thick, but they frag off easily. The stuff that is flat is actually the hardest to frag. When I take my bone cutters to it, it gets all mushy and doesn't like to come off the rock easily. :angry:

Wow Ark, everything is looking amazing. You have some beautiful SPS pieces and some beautiful fish. A Kole Tang is a must have for me for when I eventually upgrade to something larger.

Ya, I love this kole tang. It is such a pretty fish. I will probably always have one in my future tanks (appropriate sized tanks of course).

• Like 2

The parts on the sand and that try to grow over the zoas are pretty thick, but they frag off easily. The stuff that is flat is actually the hardest to frag. When I take my bone cutters to it, it gets all mushy and doesn't like to come off the rock easily. :angry:

My purple monti was like that too when I cut it the other day. More mushy than hard. I was surprised by it.

My purple monti was like that too when I cut it the other day. More mushy than hard. I was surprised by it.

Ya, it's weird right? I did take my cutters and hacked up the sunset monti again. I have made a good dent in it's size. I may start laying down some epoxy putty to make fragging easy, but it doesn't look very good so...

Hows that acropower working, is it making a difference, your corals always look good.

I just bought some for my system after seeing this tank :)

I hope I can get some similar results!

Hows that acropower working, is it making a difference, your corals always look good.

I think it has helped to bring out some colors in my corals. I had a lot of changes going on when I started using it, including upgrading the light and not using GFO anymore, but I think it has helped. It is definitely something that people with already healthy tanks should consider trying if they are looking to add some more color to their corals.

I just bought some for my system after seeing this tank :)

I hope I can get some similar results!

I'm sure you will man. You have what it takes to make a great SPS tank! :)

• Like 2

Love that Edgar Arco. Looks great. As do the Palmers milli and bonsai, but those are classics. The edgars I've never seen before

Ya, it was very green when I first got it. Lately it has gotten it's nice blue color back. It's very fuzzy. It's pretty awesome.

Impressive!

Except for two Acro's my corals are static and bleached.

Finally saw a dive in my calcium after 8 days 440 to 340 ppm, hopefully means they will start encrusting and growing. I had not needed to dose calcium until last check.

Also have Acropower but I am skeptical on the claims, sure some extra nutrients would not harm the corals and give some nutrition.

How often do you run the skimmer. Any off time after dosing?

Impressive!

Except for two Acro's my corals are static and bleached.

Bleached? Do your corals have RTN/STN? Are you using GFO or biopellets? How intense is your lighting?

Finally saw a dive in my calcium after 8 days 440 to 340 ppm, hopefully means they will start encrusting and growing. I had not needed to dose calcium until last check.

It could be the acros using the Calcium. It could also be coraline algae. Keep dosing the maintain around 420 and you should fine out soon.

Also have Acropower but I am skeptical on the claims, sure some extra nutrients would not harm the corals and give some nutrition.

It really only helps if your tank is already in good health IMO.

How often do you run the skimmer. Any off time after dosing?

I run my skimmer 24/7.

Reefmaster1996
Bleached? Do your corals have RTN/STN? Are you using GFO or biopellets? How intense is your lighting?

It could be the acros using the Calcium. It could also be coraline algae. Keep dosing the maintain around 420 and you should fine out soon.

I run my skimmer 24/7.

Even after using acro power or coral food? Interesting

I run my skimmer 24/7.

1. Bleached from high lighting I suspect. Moved pieces to sand bed and they are coloring back up. H20 parameters good.

2. Ca was lower and now dosing Ca. Up to 380 ppm from 340 ppm, about 100 ml/ day 5g/250ml Sea Chem calcium RODI H20. No coraline algae. I used dry rock and seeded coraline with empty snail shells from LFS. (Asked if I could have scrapings but it was a no go.) I think the acro's are starting to encrust more and grow (at least two). Goal Ca at least > 400 ppm.

3. Have not started dosing acropower yet, using up my Red Sea Energy A&B first.

4. Run lights Ecotech Radion Pro gen 2 at 50% high growth algorithm (10 hours on 50% intensity and 45 minute ramp up and 45 minutes ramp down.) Thinking of changing to Natural mode, to max intensity at 60- or 75% to account for the parabolic effect.

5. Had ATN on one frag (Paletta pink tip), dipped and clipped and now starting to encrust over a 1/4" remaining frag.

6. Using chemiopure elite and Phosguard. NO3 and PO4 are consistently 0 ppm on Red Sea test kits. Getting turf algae in rocks though. Dosing 1ml/day Red Sea NOPOX