SaltCritters.com

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

:) 5% every couple of weeks from 55 to now over 2 months. Taking it very slow and still not at the par I was with the old lights.

What is your goal? 100% intensity?

I am wondering if it is lights. Nutrients always low, but enough to let a turf algae grow. I have been dosing 1ml/day of acropower for the past 6 months so not sure it that is it.

I can back of on nutrient reduction or back of the light intensity, maybe to 55%.

• Like 1

I am wondering if it is lights. Nutrients always low, but enough to let a turf algae grow. I have been dosing 1ml/day of acropower for the past 6 months so not sure it that is it.

I can back of on nutrient reduction or back of the light intensity, maybe to 55%.

I have learned (for my tanks) that when I am using LEDs it is best to have nutrients a little higher. The corals seem to do better. This could maybe have some scientific basis or it could just be coincidence. I would suggest easing up on nutrient reduction, feed a little more, and see if lowering the intensity help with the colors. You can fine tune things once you learn how your system responds to lower light/higher nutrients.

• Like 2

I really want to get a few new SPS. I was hoping to find some nice acros online from ATL or cherry corals, but I haven't seen anything I like. I'm looking for frags of PC superman, ATL strawberry fields, maybe a couple more nice looking pieces. Can't find them right now.

Tank looks awesome as usual Ark.

If you want SPS pieces, Gonzo Corals is doing a live sale (and its an actual sale) and he usually sells his nice acro pieces, like his Blueberry Diesel, Blue Frost, and other unique ones.

Or Battlecorals might do a "Boring Tuesday" sale on his acros.

Edit: Nvm, it's a Normal Tuesday sale:

9aea364f-6cb4-4d52-99af-21c0989d0388_zps

• Like 1

Tank looks awesome as usual Ark.

If you want SPS pieces, Gonzo Corals is doing a live sale (and its an actual sale) and he usually sells his nice acro pieces, like his Blueberry Diesel, Blue Frost, and other unique ones.

Or Battlecorals might do a "Boring Tuesday" sale on his acros.

Edit: Nvm, it's a Normal Tuesday sale:

Yeah, I've been eying the battlecorals website.

• Like 1

What u running for bulbs Ark?? I have tried so many combos. Im back to 4 blue+ and 2 coral+

Right now I have:

- Front -

coral+

blue+

coral+

blue+

actnic

blue+

- back -

I may eventually remove the actinic and do x3 blue+ x3coral+.

I have learned (for my tanks) that when I am using LEDs it is best to have nutrients a little higher. The corals seem to do better. This could maybe have some scientific basis or it could just be coincidence. I would suggest easing up on nutrient reduction, feed a little more, and see if lowering the intensity help with the colors. You can fine tune things once you learn how your system responds to lower light/higher nutrients.

Logged onto the Reeflink page and noticed 65% intensity, backing down to 60%.

• Like 1

I want to add a new fish but I worry that my current fish will kill it. They did it twice so far. The clowns and the yellow coris wrasse are mean.

I want to add a new fish but I worry that my current fish will kill it. They did it twice so far. The clowns and the yellow coris wrasse are mean.

What fish are you thinking of adding?

What fish are you thinking of adding?

Not sure. I really would like a purple dottyback but they killed the last one. Maybe a flame hawk would be nice.

• Like 1

Not sure. I really would like a purple dottyback but they killed the last one. Maybe a flame hawk would be nice.

I vote Flame Hawk, such a rad fish for a SPS tank and will probably be able to stand it's ground.

+1 to Flame Hawk

He'll definitely hold his own. Dude might even steal the show.

• Like 2

What light period are you running? I had been worried that I was getting too much light on my tank with all 6 bulbs on during the day. I just switched things up with my 6x24 this weekend and am liking it so far.

12PM - 2PM

Blue+

Geissman Actinic

2PM - 8PM

Blue+

Coral+

ATI True Actinic

Blue+

8PM - 11PM

Blue+

Geissman Actinic

• Like 1
jedimasterben

What light period are you running? I had been worried that I was getting too much light on my tank with all 6 bulbs on during the day. I just switched things up with my 6x24 this weekend and am liking it so far.

With the two True Actinic bulbs in there (unless you're using the Giesemann Actinic Blue), then you don't have anything to worry about.

With the two True Actinic bulbs in there (unless you're using the Giesemann Actinic Blue), then you don't have anything to worry about.

Yeah, I added those to the mix for that very reason, tbo. But I was still feeling like the coral were closing up towards the end of the day as if they had had enough light, and that would be a couple hours b4 my light was scheduled to turn off. So far, they seem to be more happy and open at the end of the day now with this new light schedule.

• Like 1

I vote Flame Hawk, such a rad fish for a SPS tank and will probably be able to stand it's ground.

+1 to Flame Hawk

He'll definitely hold his own. Dude might even steal the show.

I have heard they can take it and give it, yeah.

Have you seen this guy's stuff? He's selling some nice SPS pieces:

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/selling-forum-livestock/182776-sps-cut-order.html

Nice stuff indeed!

Add a little wabbit. They won't mess with it, promise ;)

(this is jestep's pic, I couldn't find a good one of mine with his spines out ;))

foxy-1%20(Custom).jpg

I wonder if I could get away with a rabbitfish with already having 3 medium sized active fish (kole tang, solon fairy wrasse, yellow coris wrasse)?

Brads got some amazing stuff!! Such a nice collection.

Wow, he does have some nice stuff.

12PM - 2PM

Blue+

Geissman Actinic

2PM - 8PM

Blue+

Coral+

ATI True Actinic

Blue+

8PM - 11PM

Blue+

Geissman Actinic

7am-9pm

Bue+

Actnic

8am-8pm

Blue+

Blue+

Coral+

Coral+

I think you are OK since you are running two actinics. My SPS seem OK so far, but they are used to a lot of light. I have the fixture about 10 inches from he water line.

I agree

Your tank makes me kinda miss my T5's now, although I don't miss buying new lamps …

I used to trade frags to my LFS for new bulbs. I plan on doing the same this time around. I give them a lot of sunset montipora throughout the year. Otherwise $120 in bulbs every 10 months isn't fun.

I used to trade frags to my LFS for new bulbs. I plan on doing the same this time around. I give them a lot of sunset montipora throughout the year. Otherwise $120 in bulbs every 10 months isn't fun.

That aint a bad gig, plus looks like you've got enough sunset to spare

• Like 1