Pod Your Reef

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

I am going to give the current bulb combo a week to burn in before I decide if I like it or if I am going to change it. Right now it is a little too blue for my tastes. I may remove the actinic and add a third coral+.

For comparison :)

Thanks, Ben! I was feeling lazy and hadn't had my coffee yet :D

• Like 2

the spread looks much better with the 6x24w sunpower.

but i don't think replacing the actinic bulb will do much to decrease the blue.

you might have to swap out a blue+ bulb to remove some of that blue.

changing from 4x blue+, 1 coral+, 1 purple+ to 3blue+, 1 coral+, 1 purple+, and 1 actinic got rid of a lot of blue and it's because i'm running 1 less blue+

• Like 1
jedimasterben

but i don't think replacing the actinic bulb will do much to decrease the blue.

Uh, you're kidding, right? Replacing a bulb with basically no visibility to the human eye with one that emits both green and red light won't alter the look of the tank?

• Like 2

Uh, you're kidding, right? Replacing a bulb with basically no visibility to the human eye with one that emits both green and red light won't alter the look of the tank?

no i'm not kidding. you're the one that told me way back when to drop a blue+ bulb to decrease the blue look of the tank... so i did. and it worked. just thought i'd comment.

i thought he meant he wanted to remove the actinic bulb do drop the blue a bit, not drop a blue+ bulb and add an actinic.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

no i'm not kidding. you're the one that told me way back when to drop a blue+ bulb to decrease the blue look of the tank... so i did. and it worked. just thought i'd comment.

i thought he meant he wanted to remove the actinic bulb do drop the blue a bit, not drop a blue+ bulb and add an actinic.

No, he said he was considering removing the True Actinic in favor of a Coral Plus ;)

• Like 1

IMG_3289.jpg

IMG_3292.jpg

IMG_3294.jpg

IMG_3295.jpg

Nah, I didn't see the need really.

Awesome shots ark! Just a heads up that fixture puts out ALOT of light so just keep an eye on your coral and adjust your photoperiod/height if necessary.

• Like 4

Observations after two days-

Not a whole lot has changed, but I didn't really expect things to change really quickly unless the new light lit my corals on fire lol. I am noticing a bit more PE during the day for some of my acros that only had PE at night. I find this interesting. The only color shift in SPS so far is that the body of the red dragon is becoming as lighter to match the bright pink tips of the coral. I took this to mean the coral is getting a lot of light too fast so I raised the fixture a couple inches for now. I had the Radion @ 50% 20k all day but maybe it is getting more light from the sunpower now? I'll be getting a PAR meter from latteslave soon to see what kinds of numbers this thing is putting out.

I know that you all want pics,but the differences I'm seeing really aren't things that I can photograph well. I'll get some top-down pics uploaded in a week or so when the corals start to respond (or not) to the Sunpower. No response/color changing means that the Radion was giving me everything I needed to grow acros. Any changes I notice due to the Sunpower will be compared to the results form the Radion to decide for myself if the LEDs are as good as the T5s or if I need the T5s with the LEDs.

I really want to get a few new SPS. I was hoping to find some nice acros online from ATL or cherry corals, but I haven't seen anything I like. I'm looking for frags of PC superman, ATL strawberry fields, maybe a couple more nice looking pieces. Can't find them right now.

• Like 3

Interesting too Matt. The red dragon frag is lightning up in mine. Have not decided if it's too much light yet and will continue to observe. All the other drags from you are coloring nicely and growing. Time will tell. Looking forward to seeing what yours do under the t5s

• Like 1

T5 looks good. My 6 bulb is bigger than your 6 bulb. :D

I've been all over the place with my bulb types, which is typical of me, but I think I've settled with 3 coral+ and 3 blue+. Purple plus adds just a little too much red for me.

• Like 2

Wow..no more LEDs for you omgomgomg. It's so much brighter looking and still very pretty :).

Thanks! Yeah, I am holding onto the Radion as I really liked it but I think the T5s are going to do some awesome things for my coral colors and allow me to place a few more acros in places there were too low in PAR when under LEDs.

Interesting too Matt. The red dragon frag is lightning up in mine. Have not decided if it's too much light yet and will continue to observe. All the other drags from you are coloring nicely and growing. Time will tell. Looking forward to seeing what yours do under the t5s

I'm glad the RD frag is doing well for you. It is a fast grower for me and very nicely colored so it should do well under your Radions. Have the colors on your myagi, "arkropora", and joe the coral changed at all?

T5 looks good. My 6 bulb is bigger than your 6 bulb. :D

I've been all over the place with my bulb types, which is typical of me, but I think I've settled with 3 coral+ and 3 blue+. Purple plus adds just a little too much red for me.

It's not the size but how you use it to grow corals! :D I was recommended to use x3 coral+ and x3 blue+ by nanotopia. She has been getting great results and good colors with that combo. I have that extra coral+ that I may end up using. I mostly want to try out the actinic because I never have used one before. When I had my 20g high up 5 years ago I had a TEK 4x24 with x2 blue+, x1 equable special, and x1 fiji pink and I hated it. Wayyyyyyy too much purple for me. I like a 14k look. I much prefer the sunpower and the bulbs I have now.

• Like 3

Not really. I think I have two miagi and the arkropora. The red planet is hinting at red again so that's a plus. Finally up to 70% on the radions so a week or two will tell.

• Like 1

Not really. I think I have two miagi and the arkropora. The red planet is hinting at red again so that's a plus. Finally up to 70% on the radions so a week or two will tell.

I'll make a frag of the joe the coral for you next time i see you. 70%? That's pretty high. Be careful not to burn anything! :)

My Red planet macro has a yellow base with bright red polyps and coralites? Too much light? I am running Scotch Marine Natural algorithm at 60%?

I bet the yellow is a result of the green base shifting color due to either high light or low nutrients. I saw in your thread that you are using acropower now. That may help get some richer colors.