inTank Media Baskets

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

I love this AquaMaxx skimmer. It is pulling crud like my SRO 1000 INT used to pull out of my 60g cube. This is a much better choice of skimmer for a tank my size I think. I'll post up some pics in a couple days of the skimmate that I am getting. Boy is it stinky!

That's insane. Wow.

Yeah. I did add a new maxima clam but I have also removed my birdsnest and montipora cap colonies. My corals are just sucking down Ca like crazy. I have to add more to the dosing schedule weekly.

Did you have this issue with the Radion? Did this prompt the switch to the T5 array?

No, I like my radion and plan on keeping it in case I want to hang it back up. I just wanted to see if my corals would respond better to T5s. So far there is no change in most but there are some small changes. I am getting some growth in corals that were not growing much before. Colors are about the same so far.

I shoulda pre ordered it when it was 10% off

Me too... but I didn't want to lose my place in line. There are only going to be a few released in the first shipment I am told and I am not sure if I will get one the first time around.

I sold my green birdsnest colony and opened up some room in the tank for more corals. Here's the tank as it sits now.

IMG_3301.jpg

Here's the top right with the hawkins echinata, red planet, and steve elias blue stag. I think there is some room for a couple new corals now.

IMG_3307.jpg

The SSC is growing! mostly encrusting for now but it is growing!

IMG_3303.jpg

• Like 9

Question: What are y'all using for phosphate removal? I am not having algae issues but I have been running my BRS regular GFO lately because of the glass algae showing up more frequently than I'd like. I am about to run out of GFO and am considering trying something like rowaphos.

Looks good!

Tanks looking really good- nice FTS

Thanks guys!

• Like 1

I am also running the BRS regular GFO in a reactor- I ran phosguard originally in my media basket but get better results with the GFO- I feed heavily and the reactor/GFO made a big difference

• Like 1

You need to tell me. I started the All in One pellets about three weeks ago. It probably is time to up the pellets.

PO4 at 0.10 a few days ago and yesterday down to 0.06. (After WC)

I had 25g of Phosban sitting passivly the tank. I might put up to 50g passively. Last time I put it in a media reactor I killed of the algae and corals.

Question: What are y'all using for phosphate removal? I am not having algae issues but I have been running my BRS regular GFO lately because of the glass algae showing up more frequently than I'd like. I am about to run out of GFO and am considering trying something like rowaphos.

Thanks guys!

Currently not using any GFO but when I did it was very little and it was rowaphos. I say if its not broke don't fix it and I think BRS is a lot cheaper over time.

You've got more light hitting the glass now, that's the 'reason' for the algae showing up. I wouldn't use too much GFO.

I've grown accustom to a certain algae-free lifestyle, Ben. I want it to continue.

• Like 2

:lol:

Then change the light back :)

Nah, I like the T5s for now. Maybe in a year or two I will have this retro'd but for now it is OK.

Currently not using any GFO but when I did it was very little and it was rowaphos. I say if its not broke don't fix it and I think BRS is a lot cheaper over time.

I have never used anything except BRS GFO so I wasn't sure if I was missing something or not. I tend to stick with something if I think it works but that means I will not find anything better because I won't try them lol.

You need to tell me. I started the All in One pellets about three weeks ago. It probably is time to up the pellets.

PO4 at 0.10 a few days ago and yesterday down to 0.06. (After WC)

I had 25g of Phosban sitting passivly the tank. I might put up to 50g passively. Last time I put it in a media reactor I killed of the algae and corals.

BRS GFO has been working well for me. I've never used the AIO biopellets before.

Looking great!

-D

Thanks, Dave!

I am also running the BRS regular GFO in a reactor- I ran phosguard originally in my media basket but get better results with the GFO- I feed heavily and the reactor/GFO made a big difference

Have you used the high-capacity GFO before? I'm wondering if it is worth the 100% price increase from the regular GFO.

You are better off trying to regenerate it with sodium hydroxide if you want to save money.

I am not really looking to cut costs, but i would probably regenerate the high capacity GFO if i were to buy it. I am just wondering if it is worth the extra cost or not.

Nah, I like the T5s for now. Maybe in a year or two I will have this retro'd but for now it is OK.

I have never used anything except BRS GFO so I wasn't sure if I was missing something or not. I tend to stick with something if I think it works but that means I will not find anything better because I won't try them lol.

BRS GFO has been working well for me. I've never used the AIO biopellets before.

Thanks, Dave!

Have you used the high-capacity GFO before? I'm wondering if it is worth the 100% price increase from the regular GFO.

No I haven't used the high capacity - I was worried about it making a change in the chemistry to quickly with a nano tank - especially with a reactor.

I am not really looking to cut costs, but i would probably regenerate the high capacity GFO if i were to buy it. I am just wondering if it is worth the extra cost or not.

IIRC An old timer back in Ny who regenerates GFO told me the high capacity did not take well to regeneration.