Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

I didnt. I dosed Sentinel which has milbemycin plus a flea hormone mimic (it prevents them from pupating). The hormone mimic had no noticeable affects on any SPS,LPS, softies, and fish - nor would I expect it to affect anything that has a hormone receptor meant to prevent premature pupation.

There is also a treatement protocol for ivermectin to kill red bugs. You can get pure ivermectin in a bottle - good luck convincing your vet to sell you a syringe full of ivermectin though. Otherwise you can use heartgard, but then you have all the inactive ingredients same as with Sentinel or (expired) interceptor

Ah, I see. When you said milbemycin I thought you meant just that. Good to know sentinel works. I've read mixed reviews.

Worked for me. I had black bugs, not red bugs. But it killed all the pods, so no reason for me to think it wouldn't kill red bugs.

I think these are black bugs since they are not red.

so where's the pic of this new frag?

I'll snap a pic when it looks better. I'm pretty excited about this one. I've been tracking it down locally for a year now.

That Birdsnest that Latteslave has now has an interesting growth pattern- most I see tend to grow into a ball- yours was really spreading out with its branching- was it in a very high flow area? Cool to see a different look to it

That Birdsnest that Latteslave has now has an interesting growth pattern- most I see tend to grow into a ball- yours was really spreading out with its branching- was it in a very high flow area? Cool to see a different look to it

It was in a corner and was reaching for light. I have to hack it back a few times and that's why it didn't grow into a nice ball shape. It was probably in an area with the least amount of flow in the tank.

• Like 1
It was in a corner and was reaching for light. I have to hack it back a few times and that's why it didn't grow into a nice ball shape. It was probably in an area with the least amount of flow in the tank.

Gotcha- I was thinking maybe the heavy flow was making it branch out- I like how it looks though- makes it look like a different type of Bird

• Like 1

Red bugs aren't red. They have a red dot. Black bugs only parasitize M. capricornis.

That's what I mean; there is no red dot of the yellowish body.

Gotcha- I was thinking maybe the heavy flow was making it branch out- I like how it looks though- makes it look like a different type of Bird

It was really weird, yeah. Typically IME high flow makes corals become more compact. It is a really nice piece. The green on it is really cool. It will do much better in Latte's tank.

• Like 1
That's what I mean; there is no red dot of the yellowish body.

It was really weird, yeah. Typically IME high flow makes corals become more compact. It is a really nice piece. The green on it is really cool. It will do much better in Latte's tank.

Ya, mines growing to the point where I may have to make a move like that- I have some frags of it that are doing well- just can't cut it loose yet it was one of my 1st sps corals

• Like 1

Ya, mines growing to the point where I may have to make a move like that- I have some frags of it that are doing well- just can't cut it loose yet it was one of my 1st sps corals

I know what you mean. It's hard to let those corals go. The birdsnest I got two years ago as a 1 inch frag.

• Like 1

2 years- that's awesome commitment- I just posted up some end of the year grow pic- ck em out if you get a chance!

Yeah, i saw those. That is some really nice growth on that mille. Good job. Your doing better than I am.

• Like 1
Yeah, i saw those. That is some really nice growth on that mille. Good job. Your doing better than I am lol.

Thanks man! Ya- that Mille is really liking its spot- good light and my spinstream sends good flow at it constantly . I've filled up the tank with easier sps to keep - staying away from harder Acros- I think my light is a little weak for the tougher Acros

• Like 1

I wish I could have put that birds nest in without chopping it up. It actually hit the top of the water and the corals to the left and right. It's a great piece Matt and I will do my best to treat it as well as you did!

• Like 2

Hmm... I have red bugs, that are actually red. But they don't seem to be bothering anything... They are definitely not black/grey like yours are/were...

Well, they are not actually doing anything than I guess there is no problem. The thing with red bugs AFAIK is that they just irritate the coral which can cause them to brown and maybe STN. They don't leave huge bite marks or anything like AWFW. I think that these little bugs (whatever they are) came in on the last new piece of coral that I got (not from you Brian) about a year ago which was the nasuta. It never did well and was always kind of brown/green with a hint of blue in there. Very little PE too. I can't really be sure though. If they come back, I will do a dip on some acros to get some specimens that I can take some pictures of under the high power polarizing microscope in my lab. I normally use this for seeds, pollen, and starch grains, but I guess I could use it for this too.

I did not see any of them last night on the corals I dipped. They seem to like smooth skinned corals; I found them on my pearlberry, tricolor acro, steve elias blue stag, nasuta, garf bonsai, and three ultimate blue stag. I dipped my hawkins and red dragon preemptively. I have been watching my SSC and have not seen any of them on it so I didn't dip that one (it is encrusted to a really big rock that I don't want to dip). These little bugs (I think they are some kind of pod) were not in plague proportions; I found about 10 of them between 7 acros. If they come back I am ready to dose some interceptor to kill all the pods in my tank. I will probably set up a small pico to house my cleaner shrimp, emerald crab, and the hermits if it comes to that (but honey, I needed to set up this tank to save my shrimp! :D )

I wish I could have put that birds nest in without chopping it up. It actually hit the top of the water and the corals to the left and right. It's a great piece Matt and I will do my best to treat it as well as you did!

I think you will do just fine. It deserves more room than I could give it. It is really hardy too so you would have to try and kill it lol; it survived some zeovit dosing, biopellets, and tank overheating so I think it will do fine in your tank. I should stop by in a month or so to see how your tank is doing btw. It really is a fantastic tank to see in person people.

Thanks man! Ya- that Mille is really liking its spot- good light and my spinstream sends good flow at it constantly . I've filled up the tank with easier sps to keep - staying away from harder Acros- I think my light is a little weak for the tougher Acros

Yeah, stick with the easy ones lol. The tough to keep acros will break down your spirits quickly lol.

• Like 3

Yeah I never noticed the bugs do massive damage. But the color faded and PE decreased as the parasite load increased. When I started to blow them off while waiting to treat, the coral did a little better.

If you need some Sentinel send me a PM, I have a bit left.

• Like 1

Yeah I never noticed the bugs do massive damage. But the color faded and PE decreased as the parasite load increased. When I started to blow them off while waiting to treat, the coral did a little better.

If you need some Sentinel send me a PM, I have a bit left.

I found some interceptor but if I need any sentinel I will definitely let you know. Thanks for the offer.

New PC superman

IMG_3310.jpg

The "Arkropora" - eat your heart out Kat :P

IMG_3311.jpg

The new maxima - I love this clam. It was looking a little rough a week ago but has started to come around.

IMG_3313.jpg

the pearlberry. It is one of the corals that has taken really well to the T5s - all of the branches on the left side of the pic are growth since the sunpower was put above the tank

IMG_3315.jpg

For those of you who have been following the clam issues in my tank, here is what I mean when I say that the derasa "shrunk" into itself and is now putting out new shell from the inside towards the out. The derasa seems to be doing really well now but does not really like high light. I tried moving it to a higher light and it didn't like it much. There is also a photobomb by the not-often-seen yasha gobie

IMG_3320.jpg

I took the opportunity to rescape the left side a little and move some corals around when I was doing Bayer dips on Friday/Saturday. Updated FTS

IMG_3318.jpg

• Like 9
jedimasterben

For those of you who have been following the clam issues in my tank, here is what I mean when I say that the derasa "shrunk" into itself and is now putting out new shell from the inside towards the out. The derasa seems to be doing really well now but does not really like high light. I tried moving it to a higher light and it didn't like it much.

Clams don't really have an upper limit as far as light goes - they tolerate several thousand micromols of PAR without issues according to PAM fluoronometry. It probably didn't appreciate the flow or something else where you moved it to. Clams always want more light ;)

What do you mean by 'putting out new shell from the inside towards the out'? I can't really see much from that picture.

Clams don't really have an upper limit as far as light goes - they tolerate several thousand micromols of PAR without issues according to PAM fluoronometry. It probably didn't appreciate the flow or something else where you moved it to. Clams always want more light ;)

Yeah, I know that they really don't have a limit of light which is why I thought it was weird that it was getting mad when I moved it. It is getting about 250-300 PAR on the sand right now which I know is on the low end but it seems to be doing OK. It is probably getting more light now than it was under the Radion since the light is more evenly distributed now with the T5s.

What do you mean by 'putting out new shell from the inside towards the out'? I can't really see much from that picture.

If you look at the pic you can see where the clam used to be but is now much lower. There is a lot of exposed shell that normally shouldn't be there. If you look closely you can see new white shell being made slowly growing to the edge of where the clam used to be. It appears as if when the clam got mad back in February it literally "shrunk" or something and is now growing back out to where it originally was.

clamPic.jpg

• Like 1