Cultivated Reef

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

the market is just so small for it over here in comparison so all good coral get sent straight to you guys, i have a mate that is interning at Cairns marine in a week so hes gonna bring some stuff back with him.

the good thing is that when something decent does come along it doesn't cost an arm and a leg the OTHER bad thing is that our fisheries and quarantines has a single sided sheet of toilet paper of whats allowed in this country.

I spent some time in New Zealand and we went out fishing for rock lobster, I was shocked what it cost over there and the reason was it was mostly exported.

They don't even have claws..lol I get lobster cheap here being so close to the ocean and Maine.

• Like 1

I spent some time in New Zealand and we went out fishing for rock lobster, I was shocked what it cost over there and the reason was it was mostly exported. They don't even have claws..lol I get lobster cheap here being so close to the ocean and Maine.

cray fish mate, cray fish.

but yeah its the same for here in WA we have a huge crayfish fishery but it all gets exported to Asia where they are willing to pay a premium. its the same with fish ( to eat) we export so much of it that steak is cheaper a lot of the times.

• Like 2

I woke up to find a branch of my red dragon losing tissue from the base up. This branch was not connected yet to the rest of the branches due to how I glued it onto the plug when I have to frag my colony at the end up summer due to unknown issues. I think that my alk is moving around a lot. I brought my dkh down to 8.5 yesterday, turned my doser back on dosing 2ml less solution than normal and let it go. I test this morning and the dkh was at 9.3. Not a huge jump, but 5 days ago it was 9.6, than bringing it down to 8.5 over a couple days, and then jumping up... no bueno. I am not dosing significantly less alk solution than Ca - Ca about 33ml and Calcium Carb about 12ml. Mg is not stable at 1350 daily. I still think this is adapting to the new light fixture so all I can really do is ride it out and try to keep things as stable as possible. PE and colors are good so I don't think it is something I have to worry a lot about just yet.

A couple pieces are growing slowly (red planet, steve elias blue stag, green table, pearlberry loves the T5s! - never looked better!) but many are not (red dragon, three ultimate blue stag, green slimer). The superman is encrusting though!

Palmer's Blue Mille is on my list. If you have room, try to pick up his "Planet Earth". It's a rare frag and I think he's the only guy out there who has a giant colony of it. Here's what it looks like (from the original person who named it):

IMGP2844.jpg

Looks very similar to a small piece I had years ago except mine had pink tips as well.... was super touchy tho and every piece of it died including the mother colony :( That is a stunning piece tho for sure, I had to go change my pants twice while typing this and looking at it :wub:

How did you get your potters leapord to survive that long, I can't even get 24hr from the two I tried.

I had a M/F collected potters pair for 1.5 yrs, before my male somehow managed to squeeze through my mesh top around the return line. I watched him do it, hit the wood floor and died on impact The female made it another year after that but was never the same after he jumped, she just wondered around hopelessly looking like a lost puppy it was kinda pathetic really. She just super slowly faded away :( FWIW, potters were long considered one of the harder ones to keep....

Looks very similar to a small piece I had years ago except mine had pink tips as well.... was super touchy tho and every piece of it died including the mother colony :( That is a stunning piece tho for sure, I had to go change my pants twice while typing this and looking at it :wub:

I had a M/F collected potters pair for 1.5 yrs, before my male somehow managed to squeeze through my mesh top around the return line. I watched him do it, hit the wood floor and died on impact The female made it another year after that but was never the same after he jumped, she just wondered around hopelessly looking like a lost puppy it was kinda pathetic really. She just super slowly faded away :( FWIW, potters were long considered one of the harder ones to keep....

That's sad that she just wasted away.

Crazy coincidence though - right before I read this post my solon fairy wrasse jumped out of my tank. I have absolutely NO IDEA HOW IT GOT THROUGH MY MESH LID! There are no cracks and the fish is much, much, much too big to fit through the 1/4'' mesh. I have no idea how it happened but this fish did it. I think maybe it jumped, hit the top which moved the lid up off the tank, and flipped out. Still not sure though. I put it back in the tank and it floated to the bottom and then out of sight. Not sure if it is OK or not.

i feel your pain ark

Yeah.. I'm hoping it is an isolated incident and that the other acros do not follow suite.

Crazy coincidence though - right before I read this post my solon fairy wrasse jumped out of my tank. I have absolutely NO IDEA HOW IT GOT THROUGH MY MESH LID! There are no cracks and the fish is much, much, much too big to fit through the 1/4'' mesh. I have no idea how it happened but this fish did it. I think maybe it jumped, hit the top which moved the lid up off the tank, and flipped out. Still not sure though. I put it back in the tank and it floated to the bottom and then out of sight. Not sure if it is OK or not.

The one Fairy wrasse I lost bounced off a glass lid and into a surface skimmer box, then jumped out of that onto the floor. It survived a few more days and then died. :( My Ruby headed, which is the same as a solon I think, hits the glass in the 150 on a regular basis. I think he's had a few concussions by now. There is no escaping the 150 barring a fish with enough energy to actually lift the lids.

• Like 2

Wow Matt. Hope everything recovers.

Fwiw - my wrasse jumped out the back and was stuck between the wall and stand. Basically had to scrape him out - thought he was dead. He jiggled, put him back in. Floated to the bottom and hid just like yours. Next day - out with the others in the morning like it didn't happen.

• Like 1

That's sad that she just wasted away.

Yeah they were awesome, always side by side or her lightly behind him. I'm still surprised she didn't shoot out right behind him honestly :wacko:

I've had that happen as well with fairy wrasses, their heads seem to be a little stronger and they always did just like yours then out like nothing ever happened. Just so you know:

We

Really

Are

Super

Skillful

Escapers

• Like 3

Sorry to hear about the wrasse jumping. One thing I've learnt is that fish are a lot tougher than we give them credit for, especially when it comes to being out of water. Hopefully it pulls through.

• Like 1

I woke up to find a branch of my red dragon losing tissue from the base up. This branch was not connected yet to the rest of the branches due to how I glued it onto the plug when I have to frag my colony at the end up summer due to unknown issues. I think that my alk is moving around a lot. I brought my dkh down to 8.5 yesterday, turned my doser back on dosing 2ml less solution than normal and let it go. I test this morning and the dkh was at 9.3. Not a huge jump, but 5 days ago it was 9.6, than bringing it down to 8.5 over a couple days, and then jumping up... no bueno. I am not dosing significantly less alk solution than Ca - Ca about 33ml and Calcium Carb about 12ml. Mg is not stable at 1350 daily. I still think this is adapting to the new light fixture so all I can really do is ride it out and try to keep things as stable as possible. PE and colors are good so I don't think it is something I have to worry a lot about just yet.

A couple pieces are growing slowly (red planet, steve elias blue stag, green table, pearlberry loves the T5s! - never looked better!) but many are not (red dragon, three ultimate blue stag, green slimer). The superman is encrusting though!

Seems like everyone, including me is having some trouble these days. Maybe get some amino acids flowing to help with the tissue loss. I lost my whole Cali Tort colony and the two frags I made before I lost the colony. Kind of bummed because it was one of my favourite corals over the years. I thought the frags I made would make it but they went too. I think the Red Dragon is a sensitive coral and it makes sense it might be the first to show signs of trouble when things are off. I hope you can recover it, such a nice coral.

• Like 1

The fairy wrasse is alive and well it seems. It has done this about 3 times now so I guess it is used to taking the fall. It almost daily hits the top net.

The one Fairy wrasse I lost bounced off a glass lid and into a surface skimmer box, then jumped out of that onto the floor. It survived a few more days and then died. :( My Ruby headed, which is the same as a solon I think, hits the glass in the 150 on a regular basis. I think he's had a few concussions by now. There is no escaping the 150 barring a fish with enough energy to actually lift the lids.

They are sneaky buggers. One will find a way one day to escape the tank and make it back to the ocean!

Seems like everyone, including me is having some trouble these days. Maybe get some amino acids flowing to help with the tissue loss. I lost my whole Cali Tort colony and the two frags I made before I lost the colony. Kind of bummed because it was one of my favourite corals over the years. I thought the frags I made would make it but they went too. I think the Red Dragon is a sensitive coral and it makes sense it might be the first to show signs of trouble when things are off. I hope you can recover it, such a nice coral.

I have been using acropower for the last year now so I have aminos covered. My RD is a sensitive coral though I've noticed. It is showing great PE lately but then that one branch goes. I am almost certain the dkh moving around is the problem.

Sorry to hear about the wrasse jumping. One thing I've learnt is that fish are a lot tougher than we give them credit for, especially when it comes to being out of water. Hopefully it pulls through.

Yeah they are pretty tough. One time on my 60g cube I have a flasher wrasse that jumped out of the tank (through the lid of course) and landed on my dinner plate six feet away. Not the smartest fish but it survived.

Wow Matt. Hope everything recovers.

Fwiw - my wrasse jumped out the back and was stuck between the wall and stand. Basically had to scrape him out - thought he was dead. He jiggled, put him back in. Floated to the bottom and hid just like yours. Next day - out with the others in the morning like it didn't happen.

Thanks Brian. I'm hoping it is an isolated incident.

• Like 3

I think he's had a few concussions by now.

At dinner time, my firefish rams his face into the glass sometimes. I think he must somehow see a reflection of food and goes to dive for it.

I laugh a little, but feel bad. Poor concussed fish.

• Like 2

Aw ww snaps me likey!

I'll grab one in a few months, I've seen some cool ish people have done with them, water changer, using it to feed thawed mysis.

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

It may be me just being picky, but I don't like that its grey. Haha. Everything apex has been black and orange, this just throws a wrench in that.

Regardless of my irrational pickiness, keep us posted on how you like it!

• Like 1

I had to test my BRS dosers to see how much of each solution I was actually dosing so I had a place to start with the DOS. I estimate that I was dosing 51ml/day of Ca and 11ml/day of Alk. That's a big difference. I'm still not sure why it's such a big difference in dosing - in theory Ca and Alk should be close since this is a two-part solution.

Nice Matt. How was the setup?

Really easy, actually. I plugged it it, set it to how much I wanted to dose, and opened a beer. I haven't tested to see how spot on the doser is but I assume I really don't have to do any calibration.

run_dos_run_round_stickers-red0891a4b0a6

Hah, nice!

Aw ww snaps me likey!

I'll grab one in a few months, I've seen some cool ish people have done with them, water changer, using it to feed thawed mysis.

Yeah, I saw that frozen feeder. Really cool stuff. I think there are going to be some awesome things in store for this doser.

It may be me just being picky, but I don't like that its grey. Haha. Everything apex has been black and orange, this just throws a wrench in that.

Regardless of my irrational pickiness, keep us posted on how you like it!

Yeah, I guess the owner(s) of Neptune Systems like the grey/black/orange look. I'll let you all know what I think in a couple weeks once I have had a chance to evaluate how it does. I already like the new dashboard tile on my fusion page and the fact that I can track when it is dosed and how much was dosed. It's really cool.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

The more and more I like the thought of having a controller that does everything (dosing, turning lights on/off, controlling feeding/pumps/etc), the more I realize I don't want a single point of failure :P

• Like 2

The more and more I like the thought of having a controller that does everything (dosing, turning lights on/off, controlling feeding/pumps/etc), the more I realize I don't want a single point of failure :P

i gotta agree with jedi...considering a lot goes wrong with my tank often...although...it is shiny :eek:

So you would rather have multiple points of failure? :P