Innovative Marine Aquariums

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

jedimasterben

Touch on some wood. :lol:

:lol:

I guess the good thing is that my tank is a shit pile so something failing wouldn't really be the end of the world lol

• Like 2

51ml of ca and 11ml of alk?!

Woh. You're using BRS right?

Nope, using B-Ionic.

:lol:

I guess the good thing is that my tank is a shit pile so something failing wouldn't really be the end of the world lol

Hah, give yourself some more credit.

I like it the DOS, looks sweet!

I am liking it so far. I already feel like I don't know how I lived without it lol.

OH NO YOU DIDNT!!!! Wow, how do you like the DOS, baller??

Yup! So far, I think that it is really awesome. I like that I can log exactly when it doses and the amount.

• Like 1

51ml of ca and 11ml of alk?!

Woh. You're using BRS right?

In the sump pick it looks like he using esv bionic. It is interesting on the different dose. I would say he could dose equal and it would balance but at what amount. That would be determined at what level he is keeping alk,calc,mag my guess they are not balanced.

In the sump pick it looks like he using esv bionic. It is interesting on the different dose. I would say he could dose equal and it would balance but at what amount. That would determined at what level he is keeping alk,calc,mag my guess they are not balanced.

Ca is 420-440, DkH has been moving but is around 8.5-9.0, and Mg is 1350. I'm also guessing they are not balanced... but how to fix?

Ca is 420-440, DkH has been moving but is around 8.5-9.0, and Mg is 1350. I'm also guessing they are not balanced... but how to fix?

A lot depends on what you do for water changes, depending on volume and how close a match the levels are of the big 3. If they are close to the same what I would do is...

Dose your Calcium to the same ratio as your ALK. I bet your Calc won't change much. If not it will most.likely increase I know it don't make sense but it does ...Actually I would increase the Alk dose level a little also.

Here is a good read....http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rhf/

oh yeah! derp.

i could never get those to line up either actually or be close in general, which is why i switched almost immediately.

A lot depends on what you do for water changes, depending on volume and how close a match the levels are of the big 3. If they are close to the same what I would do is...

Dose your Calcium to the same ratio as your ALK. I bet your Calc won't change much. If not it will most.likely increase I know it don't make sense but it does ...Actually I would increase the Alk dose level a little also.

Here is a good read....http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rhf/

Yeah, I've read that article before. I think that it could be the water I use for water changes. It is filtered NSW and is low in all of the big three. I add my 2-part to it to bring it up to my levels but I think it may not be enough and it throwing everything out of wack.

Ca was high when I got home and dkh was a little low so I think things are balancing finally. I lowered Ca to 25ml/day and upped Alk to 15ml/day. Lets see how that holds.

looking great! i need to get more sps after some of mine died when i made a tank move a few months ago.

Yes, more SPS!

• Like 2

i have the same problem...well the opposite of the same problem, i dont dose very much cal and a hell of a lot of alk. my mag i just get when i do my weekly water change with NSW. (which i raise the alk in the ibc to about 8.4)

up until recently it was all looking sweet until my alk consumption dropped through the floor, pretty much dosing half of what i dosed a week ago. stange thing is that my calcium consumption has maintained..if not increased a little

jedimasterben

It also can depend on what supplement you're dosing. Not all of them out there are balanced between calcium and alkalinity, and some supplements even go so far as to add a shitload of borate instead of carbonate/bicarbonate to give a boost to alkalinity, which is great an all, but corals want carbonate, not borate :)

It also can depend on what supplement you're dosing. Not all of them out there are balanced between calcium and alkalinity, and some supplements even go so far as to add a shitload of borate instead of carbonate/bicarbonate to give a boost to alkalinity, which is great an all, but corals want carbonate, not borate :)

Bionic is designed to dose in equal parts.

Ca - 480 (high)

DkH - 8.6 (OK)

Mg - 1320 (OK)

Now dosing 13ml/day Alk and 20ml/day Cal. I'm 100% sure that my previous calculations of dosing were correct but I have had to substantially decrease my Cal dosing and up my Alk dosing a little. Maybe the many small doses (.1-.3ml) spread out over the entire day is helping stabilize my tank and bring things into harmony?

• Like 1

Or if the dosing pumps are better. Some pumps do not like small amounts.

Yeah I thought of that, but I was running the BRS dosers for 3-5min blocks several times a day to dose before. They weren't dosing the small amounts that the stepper pumps are doing.

One thing I would like to see if a staggered dosing regime for the DOS. Right now my Cal and Alk solutions are being dosed at the same time in different amounts to reach my daily settings. I would like them to be staggered since dosing at the same time may increase precipitation, correct? The chamber they dose to is fairly high flow so I am not really worried, but I still feel like I would be better off. I don't want to split the dosing of the two into day/night because I'd like to keep the params as stable as possible.

My calcium is 10 minutes after my Alk dose, dosed every hour 24 hours a day.

Question for thought here.

Why even bother to test Calcium other than to make sure it's not low? Who cares if it's 430 or 450 or 500 unless there's a precipitate issue on equipment?

I'm currently 65ml alk and calcium, and calcium is stable around 450, Alk at 8.2. I've always dose Alk before calcium since it makes a cloud when dosed. I've noticed all two parts have the calcium as part A but I don't think the order of dosing makes a difference.

• Like 2

i always test just to make sure its stable, iv never been concerned with its actual level (other then too low) alk on the other hand seems to make a difference with my corals color, iv always had better color with lower alk level (relative of course)

• Like 1