Coral Vue Hydros

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

Ha ha! Ark - I was checking out the birds nest and my sailfin must have gotten a little too close. All I see is a huge claw swing out at the sailfin and he just flew out of there. Crab 1 sailfin nothing.

As always Indy it's looking great in there!

Thanks man! Things are going really well. Too well... I feel a crash coming on lol.

Looking really awesome Ark, love the new additions. That clam is so sexy.

Thanks man! I really like the new maxima. It makes me want to get another!

Ha ha! Ark - I was checking out the birds nest and my sailfin must have gotten a little too close. All I see is a huge claw swing out at the sailfin and he just flew out of there. Crab 1 sailfin nothing.

Hah, I told you that acro crab is a beast. It doesn't take any guff from nobody!

• Like 1

I'm hoping to get some clams at some point since I've run out of rocks :lol: - if an LFS ever gets one in Cape Town that is. I've literally not seen one decent clam since I set up the tank. <_<

• Like 2

I'm hoping to get some clams at some point since I've run out of rocks :lol: - if an LFS ever gets one in Cape Town that is. I've literally not seen one decent clam since I set up the tank. <_<

I think it's because all the nice ones are sent to LA! I have seen some amazing maximas, squamosa, and crocea in the LA area. The wholesalers here have tanks full of them.

• Like 2
jedimasterben

If you look at the pic you can see where the clam used to be but is now much lower. There is a lot of exposed shell that normally shouldn't be there. If you look closely you can see new white shell being made slowly growing to the edge of where the clam used to be. It appears as if when the clam got mad back in February it literally "shrunk" or something and is now growing back out to where it originally was.

clamPic.jpg

Ok, I see now. Clams don't only apply new shell to the outside but they also bulk up the inside and make it much thicker over time, especially as they start to reach their maximum size (though the derasa has a long way to go, still a babbeh :D). When it gets larger the shell can be over an inch thick. :o

• Like 1

Ok, I see now. Clams don't only apply new shell to the outside but they also bulk up the inside and make it much thicker over time, especially as they start to reach their maximum size (though the derasa has a long way to go, still a babbeh :D). When it gets larger the shell can be over an inch thick. :o

Yeah, but I wouldn't expect it to do it so young. The fact that it shrunk down to a lower part of the shell had me freaked out for awhile. I mean, it makes sense that they would bulk up their shell but why sink down into the shell? I think it did it do to stress and now is growing out again.

Either way it is pretty healthy again. I just hope it grows quickly because I miss seeing the mantle on this guy.

Looking good!

Thanks!!

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Yeah, but I wouldn't expect it to do it so young. The fact that it shrunk down to a lower part of the shell had me freaked out for awhile. I mean, it makes sense that they would bulk up their shell but why sink down into the shell? I think it did it do to stress and now is growing out again.

Either way it is pretty healthy again. I just hope it grows quickly because I miss seeing the mantle on this guy.

Well, usually when they draw in like that it means that it's basically dead, but for yours to have lasted as long as it has in this condition, then I think it's just playing hide and seek and is waiting for the other clams to find it :D

• Like 2

Good news - PE was amazing after the dips on the acros that I did dip.

Bad news - I was checking the tank last night and I saw another of these little black bug things running around on an acro I didn't dip. I think I am going to dose interceptor on the tank in a few weeks after the holidays.

I think I will take the opportunity to get all my crabs/shrimp out of the 40g and make a little pico for them to have at my lab while I get this all sorted out. I have to get permission from my advisor before the pico happens though. If it does happen it will most likely have a couple macro algaes and some zoas. It will need to be low maintenance since I am not in the lab on the weekends.

• Like 3

Looks awesome!

Thanks!

New tank!!!

Yeah, I don't know. It seemed like a good idea early in the day but the more I thought about it the more I realized it would be a pain the butt to take care of a second tank even if it was just softies. I'm still deciding. Interceptor will happen after the holidays for sure. I have seen the dipped corals look happier every day after the dip which tells me they were being annoyed a lot. I don't want to go back to having them PO'd. Maybe I could leave my cleaner shrimp in your sump for awhile while I do the treatments? :)

Thanks!

Yeah, I don't know. It seemed like a good idea early in the day but the more I thought about it the more I realized it would be a pain the butt to take care of a second tank even if it was just softies. I'm still deciding. Interceptor will happen after the holidays for sure. I have seen the dipped corals look happier every day after the dip which tells me they were being annoyed a lot. I don't want to go back to having them PO'd. Maybe I could leave my cleaner shrimp in your sump for awhile while I do the treatments? :)

you would be amazed at how little work goes into a softie tank lol. I might be the poster child for lazy reef keeper.

• Like 3

New PC superman

IMG_3310.jpg

The "Arkropora" - eat your heart out Kat :P

IMG_3311.jpg

The new maxima - I love this clam. It was looking a little rough a week ago but has started to come around.

IMG_3313.jpg

the pearlberry. It is one of the corals that has taken really well to the T5s - all of the branches on the left side of the pic are growth since the sunpower was put above the tank

IMG_3315.jpg

For those of you who have been following the clam issues in my tank, here is what I mean when I say that the derasa "shrunk" into itself and is now putting out new shell from the inside towards the out. The derasa seems to be doing really well now but does not really like high light. I tried moving it to a higher light and it didn't like it much. There is also a photobomb by the not-often-seen yasha gobie

IMG_3320.jpg

I took the opportunity to rescape the left side a little and move some corals around when I was doing Bayer dips on Friday/Saturday. Updated FTS

IMG_3318.jpg

Your going to love those t5s you will run out of room quick in that tank once they get use to the light!

you would be amazed at how little work goes into a softie tank lol. I might be the poster child for lazy reef keeper.

Knowing me it would be as high tech as a nuclear reactor once I finished with it :D

Your going to love those t5s you will run out of room quick in that tank once they get use to the light!

I am starting to see some color shifting. The pearlberry has gained a lot of purple color. It is look amazing. The SSC is growing a lot not and is mostly green with very light red tips. I am hoping the red darkens up more as it grows. Most other corals are not affected yet.

I'm OK with things growing out like crazy. I can start shipping frag packs out then! :)

Knowing me it would be as high tech as a nuclear reactor once I finished with it :D

I am starting to see some color shifting. The pearlberry has gained a lot of purple color. It is look amazing. The SSC is growing a lot not and is mostly green with very light red tips. I am hoping the red darkens up more as it grows. Most other corals are not affected yet.

I'm OK with things growing out like crazy. I can start shipping frag packs out then! :)

I was strange with this last build and really tried to keep certain things simple, mainly the filtration. I hate cleaning so the simpler the filtration the easier it is to clean when I actually get around to it lol.

• Like 1

I was strange with this last build and really tried to keep certain things simple, mainly the filtration. I hate cleaning so the simpler the filtration the easier it is to clean when I actually get around to it lol.

I actually made this tank fairly simple too. Just a skimmer, some gfo, and a small fuge for pods. I like all the gadgets though that come along with my apex and that is what gets me into trouble. Once you get used to that level of control you don't want to go back.

I actually made this tank fairly simple too. Just a skimmer, some gfo, and a small fuge for pods. I like all the gadgets though that come along with my apex and that is what gets me into trouble. Once you get used to that level of control you don't want to go back.

the dos, and getting more monitors for apex fusion so I can stare at more graphs really is hard for me to resist. But my wallet thanks me.

• Like 1

the dos, and getting more monitors for apex fusion so I can stare at more graphs really is hard for me to resist. But my wallet thanks me.

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out if I should buy the DOS.

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out if I should buy the DOS.

it does look more appealing than other dosers just because of its compatibility with the apex ( made for it lol)

• Like 1