Top Shelf Aquatics

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

IIRC An old timer back in Ny who regenerates GFO told me the high capacity did not take well to regeneration.

Hmm, that sucks. It's pretty expensive then. Cist may be an issue. I am finding it hard to find any conversations online comparing them and if the HC is worth it.

I tried some Filter Guys GFO pellets, as far as I know they are the only ones that still sell the pellet form. This is my first GFO experience but so far in 2 weeks I'm still getting 0 phosphate from the output of the reactor.

Sorry to see the bird go but it will do better in a bigger tank where it can grow big and round and stress out the new owner. :D Mine is healthy now but I lost most of the tips so it will be a while before it looks good again.

• Like 1

Sorry to see the bird go but it will do better in a bigger tank where it can grow big and round and stress out the new owner. :D Mine is healthy now but I lost most of the tips so it will be a while before it looks good again.

Yeah, I grew it out from a 1" frag. It needed more space than I had. You'll still see the green bird colony on NR still though.... Whenever Latteslave posts a pic of it!
  • Like 2

I wish I had your problems. Corals growing too big, a travesty!

I know, right? I have all the tough problems! :D

How's the clam on the left side of the pic doing?

It's doing better. It shrunk into it's shell in Feb and has slowly started grow out to where it once was. I am not sure what happened to it but it is doing better. The new maxima is still getting used to my tank after a week of having it but it is looking a little better. It's not extending much but is not gaping or showing signs of PM.

• Like 2

I just retested my water. both NO3 and PO4 testing 0. Aside from existing algae growth, I have no new significant algae growth, a light dusting of the glass daily. No GFO but I have two Chemipure elite bags. No more dosing NOPOX just the pellets at 60% of minimal recommended dose.

• Like 2

So I think I have red bugs or something like them. I saw some very small little bug things crawling on my GARF bonsai and Tyree ultimate stag last night. I also think they are on my nasuta frag. Not sure where they came from as I have only added one frag to the tank in the last year. I always dip but used to use Revive for awhile before I switched to Bayer. I don't think they have been in the tank for long though but who knows?

I'm going to dip those three corals in Bayer today to try and kill some to confirm and try to find some interceptor to treat the tank if it turns out that they are red bugs.

• Like 1

i've been tempted to pick up a few dragon face pipe fish since my lfs carries them often. but i'm worried they won't find enough to eat. i've read that people have had luck training them to accept frozen foods, which is making it even more tempting. hah

hopefully it's not redbugs. i don't think i ever eradicated them completely from my system so i'll have to check when i go home to see.

• Like 1

I did a Bayer dip and found a bunch of these little "bugs" on the bottom of the jar. I don't think that I have red bugs, but there are definitely some kind of little "bugs" on some of my SPS. They are clear to grayish in color and are very small. I am thinking they are some kind of parasitic copepod or something that people call "black bugs". They kinda look like this:

IMGP1249-1.jpg

run for the hills you are in trouble now!! :D

Nah, I'm not too worried. They were not really doing any damage. I think at most they were bugging the SPS and PE was slightly less than it should have been. The dip took care of them for now. We will see if/when they come back. I'm trying to source some interceptor as a last resort.

jedimasterben

I was only kidding...lol

Do you have a wrasse...surprising it didn't eat them?

They're so tiny that it's doubtful they could really get after them.

• Like 1

In happier news I ended up finding a frag of PC superman locally. I am totally stoked to see how this piece does in my tank. The frag is a nice red with nice blue tips. The colony was seriously more than a foot in diameter! I'll take a pic of my frag once it had acclimatized to my tank and is showing PE. No bum frag shots here! :)

Did you read this Ark? http://www.reefdup.com/2013/01/25/black-bugs-gray-bugs-invisible-killers/

Sounds like a slow temp drop to 72 might work as well or better than interceptor?

I hadn't. Maybe I will try it. I think I have sourced some interceptor locally so either way this problem should be gone without a problem... I hope. At least it's not AEFW :D

I was only kidding...lol

I figured :)

Do you have a wrasse...surprising it didn't eat them?

I do have a yellow coris wrasse but since it hasn't showed any interest in picking at them thus far I think Ben is right in that they are too small. These things are REALLY small. They only come out at night when the fish are asleep too so there is another problem.

• Like 1

I had a red bug problem 6 months ago, I got the interceptor spectrum from Australia and it worked rather well. After the first treatment I got SPS PE later that day (especially my Garf bonsia which was starting to bleach ). My LPS loved it, must of been the "meat" in it for the dogs, the only downside is it kills crabs. I lost all my crabs which wasn't a big deal and positive in one way; I had a questionable emerald that I could not remove.

• Like 1

I dosed milbemycin oxime into my reef with no casualties appart from other arthropods - namely the copepods and isopods as I removed the hermits during treatement.

• Like 1

I had a red bug problem 6 months ago, I got the interceptor spectrum from Australia and it worked rather well. After the first treatment I got SPS PE later that day (especially my Garf bonsia which was starting to bleach ). My LPS loved it, must of been the "meat" in it for the dogs, the only downside is it kills crabs. I lost all my crabs which wasn't a big deal and positive in one way; I had a questionable emerald that I could not remove.

I have dipped all of my smooth skinned corals and all of them seem to be doing well. I am going to see these bugs come back or if this was a one-time thing. If they come back I plan on using the interceptor. Moving all these corals is exhausting!

I dosed milbemycin oxime into my reef with no casualties appart from other arthropods - namely the copepods and isopods as I removed the hermits during treatement.

Where did you find just the ingredient that kills the pod species?

I didnt. I dosed Sentinel which has milbemycin plus a flea hormone mimic (it prevents them from pupating). The hormone mimic had no noticeable affects on any SPS,LPS, softies, and fish - nor would I expect it to affect anything that has a hormone receptor meant to prevent premature pupation.

There is also a treatement protocol for ivermectin to kill red bugs. You can get pure ivermectin in a bottle - good luck convincing your vet to sell you a syringe full of ivermectin though. Otherwise you can use heartgard, but then you have all the inactive ingredients same as with Sentinel or (expired) interceptor