Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

My calcium is 10 minutes after my Alk dose, dosed every hour 24 hours a day.

Question for thought here.

Why even bother to test Calcium other than to make sure it's not low? Who cares if it's 430 or 450 or 500 unless there's a precipitate issue on equipment?

I'm currently 65ml alk and calcium, and calcium is stable around 450, Alk at 8.2. I've always dose Alk before calcium since it makes a cloud when dosed. I've noticed all two parts have the calcium as part A but I don't think the order of dosing makes a difference.

I bother because I don't want to be dosing more Calcium that need be. It's kind of like wasting it.

I bother because I don't want to be dosing more Calcium that need be. It's kind of like wasting it.

So you think it's being used up by something or precipitating? I mean what you are doing works, we know that, so that's something to ponder. :D

So you think it's being used up by something or precipitating? I mean what you are doing works, we know that, so that's something to ponder. :D

I don't see any precipitation in walls or equipment so it must be OK. With the BRS dosers I would stagger Ca and Alk by an hour of eachother but the DOS program wizard doesn't make something like that easy. I haven't had time to play with the settings either.
  • Like 1

I don't see any precipitation in walls or equipment so it must be OK. With the BRS dosers I would stagger Ca and Alk by an hour of eachother but the DOS program wizard doesn't make something like that easy. I haven't had time to play with the settings either.

I would have thought you could use the osc command like with wavemakers.

I would have thought you could use the osc command like with wavemakers.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can. I haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe this weekend.
  • Like 1

Great updates. I am seriously thinking of going with the DOS. Still thinking about it however.

How big is it? I heard it is pretty large.

-D

It's big, but i think you could fit it in a bread box :)
  • Like 1

I was at a conference for the last two days. I come home and test my alk and the tank had a dkh of 6.1! I have some acros that are losing tissue at the base and my SSC was stung and lost a small branch because the urchin or a snail knocked the RD into the SSC. Wtf...

I upped the Alk to 18ml/day and kept the Cal at 20ml/day.

I was at a conference for the last two days. I come home and test my alk and the tank had a dkh of 6.1! I have some acros that are losing tissue at the base and my SSC was stung and lost a small branch because the urchin or a snail knocked the RD into the SSC. Wtf...

I upped the Alk to 18ml/day and kept the Cal at 20ml/day.

Just when things are running smooth too- isn't your doser keeping up? The Acros are reacting really quick to Alk. level drop- do you normally run 8-9?

Also, the new cleaner shrimp probably has to go. It is cleaning the new maxima relentlessly and It will probably kill it if I don't do something.

Just when things are running smooth too- isn't your doser keeping up? The Acros are reacting really quick to Alk. level drop- do you normally run 8-9?

It is dosing what I tell it to. What I have it set at is just not enough I guess.

I wonder if the doser dosed?

I has been. I can track every single time it turns on and how much it is dosing. The doser is calibrated so I trust it 100%. I think that the tank is just balancing and I have to just push through it.

Hmm

Indeed

How are the T5 working out so far?

I love them. I'll be taking some pics soon once the acros calm down.

Nice im liking mine wish i had a little more blue but i have 14 blue leds and a driver think ill run a string of blue leds in the middle of the fixture.

That's not a bad idea.

Those Dos pumps look like private labeled Welco pumps.

Yeah, they do. So far in impressed with the pumps. An issue is that when the pump turns there is some "creaking" on the orange pump face because the plastic moves as the pump turns. Not sure if its just mine or not.

.1ml

Have you had a chance to measure this for accuracy/repeatability yet?

I would be interested in knowing if a stepper pump at this price range can repeat 0.1mL consistently, if so I think it is an awesome deal.

• Like 1

Sad tank news - I had to emergency frag my superman acro this morning. I don't think it liked my dkh dipping to 6.1. I hope the piece I have left makes it.

Have you had a chance to measure this for accuracy/repeatability yet?

I would be interested in knowing if a stepper pump at this price range can repeat 0.1mL consistently, if so I think it is an awesome deal.

I have not checked it the .1ml dose is accurate, but I have the pump calibrated on the dot. I don't have a means of measuring .1ml right now though. Maybe I should look into that.

• Like 1

Sad tank news - I had to emergency frag my superman acro this morning. I don't think it liked my dkh dipping to 6.1. I hope the piece I have left makes it.

Bah, sorry to hear that, I hope it pulls through.

Bah, sorry to hear that, I hope it pulls through.

Yeah... losing that one really hurts. I hope I don't come home to a white skeleton frag.

I think some corals are still stressed, but some are starting to come around. All still have great PE and color though.

• Like 1

The superman was no more when I got home. I fragged a good chunk of my SSC and saved it (I think) but all of the encrusting that it has done of the past 8 months is almost completely gone with not much hope for what is left. The new small maxima clam did not make it either - the cleaner shrimp pestered it to death.

This is just not my week.