Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

Do you ship at all? Should be pretty easy up to SF

I've never shipped coral, but it is something that I could probably do. PM with what you want and we can go from there.

Not happy with it-? what will you replace it with?

I have been very happy with it. I used to have 2 mp10w but I sold one and got the wp25. I am thinking about getting a 35w gyre but not sure yet. I like my wp25 a lot and may just end up getting another jebao pump so that I can link them together.

• Like 1
I have been very happy with it. I used to have 2 mp10w but I sold one and got the wp25. I am thinking about getting a 35w gyre but not sure yet. I like my wp25 a lot and may just end up getting another jebao pump so that I can link them together.

Ya- those Gyre are probably pretty tempting for a larger tank like yours-from what I read a powerhead can really disrupt some of the movement it creates- I am sure with some adjusting you could find a sweet spot though

• Like 1

I don't know if I have yet to see the advantage of the Gyre over the mp10. Matt - your tank is looking great as usual. Why mess with something that's not broken?

• Like 2

I don't know if I have yet to see the advantage of the Gyre over the mp10. Matt - your tank is looking great as usual. Why mess with something that's not broken?

+1000000000000000 I haven't been fond of what I have seen of the gyre yet really.

And I agree, making the change would be a major change because it is a totally different type of flow and IMO more forceful which could be quite disastrous in a tank like this.... force isn't really a good thing. ;) Tank looks great, why risk screwing it up needlessly. Be better off to go with adding 2 t5 bulbs then swap pumps if you feel the need to make a change atleast thats addressing an issue lol

• Like 1

Ya- those Gyre are probably pretty tempting for a larger tank like yours-from what I read a powerhead can really disrupt some of the movement it creates- I am sure with some adjusting you could find a sweet spot though

I'm sure there would be some growing pains with dialing in the gyre, if I got it. I also was concerned about not having some flow pushing back on the corals and creating some weird growth patterns.

Thanks man. I was considering a gyre because of a few dead spots I am getting in my tank currently. They are not a huge deal because no corals are there, but I can see crude pilling up which is never good.

+1000000000000000 I haven't been fond of what I have seen of the gyre yet really.

And I agree, making the change would be a major change because it is a totally different type of flow and IMO more forceful which could be quite disastrous in a tank like this.... force isn't really a good thing. ;) Tank looks great, why risk screwing it up needlessly. Be better off to go with adding 2 t5 bulbs then swap pumps if you feel the need to make a change atleast thats addressing an issue lol

I am just not sure how to make a frame to add the bulbs. I'm really dragging my feet on this lol.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

I am just not sure how to make a frame to add the bulbs. I'm really dragging my feet on this lol.

Do you have any tools to cut wood and/or any woodworking skills?

• Like 1

Do you have any tools to cut wood and/or any woodworking skills?

I do have a cheap B&D jigsaw. I also put together a kit birdhouse.

I was looking for metal because of my wife's fears that my electrical skills will set fire to the apartment lol.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

I do have a cheap B&D jigsaw. I also put together a kit birdhouse.

I was looking for metal because of my wife's fears that my electrical skills will set fire to the apartment lol.

:lol:

Well, metal will be a bit more difficult to build unless you are buying basically the thing pre-built, which will get expensive quick.

Are you ever planning on buying a house? If so, I'd start getting tools and such now, you're gonna need them :) (at the very least basic tools, a drill, impact, etc).

:lol:

Well, metal will be a bit more difficult to build unless you are buying basically the thing pre-built, which will get expensive quick.

Are you ever planning on buying a house? If so, I'd start getting tools and such now, you're gonna need them :) (at the very least basic tools, a drill, impact, etc).

Yeah, metal will be expensive. That's why I am stalling on this. I'd like to get some more tools, but I literally have nowhere to put them. It's a conundrum.

My idea is really simple to hold the T5s. I want two strips of metal that will run the length of the bulbs to attach the sockets to and I want two short cross bars to link them together that would sit on the radion to hold it all up.

jedimasterben

Yeah, metal will be expensive. That's why I am stalling on this. I'd like to get some more tools, but I literally have nowhere to put them. It's a conundrum.

My idea is really simple to hold the T5s. I want two strips of metal that will run the length of the bulbs to attach the sockets to and I want two short cross bars to link them together that would sit on the radion to hold it all up.

I see what you're getting at now. If you can get someone to cut the metal, then you can just drill the holes in it yourself (do you have a drill or anything? They take up almost no space, no excuses :P) and then use bolts to hold it all together.

It's gonna look like dick with all the wires hanging out (there are seven per pair of T5), but it'll do what you want :)

I see what you're getting at now. If you can get someone to cut the metal, then you can just drill the holes in it yourself (do you have a drill or anything? They take up almost no space, no excuses :P) and then use bolts to hold it all together.

It's gonna look like dick with all the wires hanging out (there are seven per pair of T5), but it'll do what you want :)

I have a drill, yeah. I was actually considering going to my LFS and seeing if they have a guy that makes metal stands. If they do, I was going to asking how much it would cost to get a welded frame powdercoated and painted black. If I did some wire management it wouldn't look that bad. Either way, it doesn't matter much what it looks like.

If I were to DIY, I am not sure what kind of metal to get though. I originally was looking for some aluminum strips but that is expensive for the thickness that I need. Do you have any ideas, Ben?

jedimasterben

I have a drill, yeah. I was actually considering going to my LFS and seeing if they have a guy that makes metal stands. If they do, I was going to asking how much it would cost to get a welded frame powdercoated and painted black. If I did some wire management it wouldn't look that bad. Either way, it doesn't matter much what it looks like.

If I were to DIY, I am not sure what kind of metal to get though. I originally was looking for some aluminum strips but that is expensive for the thickness that I need. Do you have any ideas, Ben?

That's pretty much what I was going to recommend, just thin metal strips, they aren't going to be holding a lot of weight, and you don't want them to be very heavy since you want your Radion to be a very expensive hanging kit :D

• Like 1

Matt - just come get two of the ones I have. They are just sitting around. Single T5 in a metal ballast with hanging brackets. You could figure out how to make it work.

Matt - just come get two of the ones I have. They are just sitting around. Single T5 in a metal ballast with hanging brackets. You could figure out how to make it work.

I texted you.

That's pretty much what I was going to recommend, just thin metal strips, they aren't going to be holding a lot of weight, and you don't want them to be very heavy since you want your Radion to be a very expensive hanging kit :D

Yeah. I have to go to the hardware stores around here and see what I can do. I'd like to be able to just have Dave do a retro for me but I don't have that kind of $$ to spend on a light that is just going to be supplemental light.

All I know is that I am not 100% happy with the shading that I have been getting, as you all know. If I find a good deal on an ATI 6x24'' sunpower on a Black Friday deal I may jump on it and go back to T5 only for awhile (I know, blasphemy).

• Like 3

I texted you.

Yeah. I have to go to the hardware stores around here and see what I can do. I'd like to be able to just have Dave do a retro for me but I don't have that kind of $$ to spend on a light that is just going to be supplemental light.

All I know is that I am not 100% happy with the shading that I have been getting, as you all know. If I find a good deal on an ATI 6x24'' sunpower on a Black Friday deal I may jump on it and go back to T5 only for awhile (I know, blasphemy).

FYI, I have an 8 bulb tek light, I was planning to remove 4 middle bulbs and drop in two radions; they fit perfectly. if you can find a 6x24 fixture you can remove 4 bulbs and have the hybrid. I took some pictures of the t5 width in my thread.

• Like 2

FYI, I have an 8 bulb tek light, I was planning to remove 4 middle bulbs and drop in two radions; they fit perfectly. if you can find a 6x24 fixture you can remove 4 bulbs and have the hybrid. I took some pictures of the t5 width in my thread.

How are you going to hold the radion in the fixture?

"Golden" Nastuta - Still waiting for this one to color up after 11 months

15817709892_8674c029cf_h.jpg

Steve Elias Blue Stag

15631284610_956fc725f6_h.jpg

Tricolor Purple Nana

15630733558_f098c3a6ba_h.jpg

Tyree Ultimate Blue Stag

15631283500_4bf918c169_h.jpg

Unknown Green Tabler

15816152365_143e946fb3_h.jpg

Miyagi Tort

15196707543_9dba9e68c8_h.jpg

SSC

15814252021_1dadf1b05f_h.jpg

Teal Stag

15630730638_9efef4e03e_h.jpg

• Like 6

That third pic down is exactly what my acro started doing. More green on the top parts of it. Wasn't like that before I switched to the radions but I am pretty sure it's cause I have them low.

• Like 1

That third pic down is exactly what my acro started doing. More green on the top parts of it. Wasn't like that before I switched to the radions but I am pretty sure it's cause I have them low.

Yup, that's one that I got from you which I think you got from me originally?

um... it has grown a LOT. I don't think my frag was more than 1.5 inch stick with no branches. It's grown that much in 4 months?

Maybe I need to see what your lighting schedule looks like. ;)