Top Shelf Aquatics

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

New FTS looks fantastic Indy. What's up with the clam though, looks gnarly.

Thanks, Kat. I am not really sure what the issue with the derasa is. It has been like that since February. It is sunken into the shell but still opens/closes and is currently putting out new shell. It is just recovering really slowly from the change in light when I had borrowed a 4x24'' T5HO fixture to light the tank for a couple weeks when I sent my radion in for the gen3 upgrade. My crocea was mad for awhile when the change happened, but as you can see it has recovered nicely.

I managed to get a new FTS today.

IMG_2809.jpg

Tanks looking really good man, hopefully your in the clear w/ the issues you've been having and things can really get rockin again! :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I read somewhere you restarted the GFO reactor? How much GFO are you using? I am getting an lag creep again, NO3 0.75 PO4 0 (first time, usually the other way around) last attempt using 50g TLF Phosban (190 l/50 gallons approximate volume) killed algae and coral.

I have 25 g sitting in sump with two bags of Chemipure Elite now.

• Like 1
Just make sure that Monti doesn't see it. :lol:
I know! It's an acro killer!

I read somewhere you restarted the GFO reactor? How much GFO are you using? I am getting an lag creep again, NO3 0.75 PO4 0 (first time, usually the other way around) last attempt using 50g TLF Phosban (190 l/50 gallons approximate volume) killed algae and coral. I have 25 g sitting in sump with two bags of Chemipure Elite now.
yup, using gfo again just to see how things respond. No real reason. Using 2tb right now.Gfo may help you if you think you have a phosphate issue. Algae may bring consuming it and you test zero. Gfo won't help nitrates, but you probably know that.

Tanks looking really good man, hopefully your in the clear w/ the issues you've been having and things can really get rockin again! :)
I am hop g things are going to get better! Im waiting another month or so before I order a few more frags I have been wanting for awhile.
  • Like 1

Looks great Ark. Love that clam up front. Do you have any plans for upgrading? It's starting to get a little crowded in there.

Thanks man! No upgrades for a long time! The wife says I can get a bigger tank when I get my PhD and a job :)

• Like 5

My usually problem was 0 nitrates and .02-0.04 phosphates. Now my nitrates are a bit higher at low 0.75 and phosphates zero, with more than desired algal growth. I was looking into these

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewitem.aspx?idproduct=xb67262&child=XB67265&utm_source=adwordsfroogle&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=adwordsfroogle&utm_content=XB67265&gclid=CO_8kYi31MECFa1aMgodVgwADA

Dosing RedSea Max NOPOX (aka acetic acid and methanol), getting awesome skimmer sludge.

Another thought was to throw maybe a chemipure elite or GFO back into the reactor, last time I did that it was disastrous.

My corals seem to be doing really well.

More algae growth than desired on the rock work.

I have two Chemi pure elites and 25 g of Phosban sitting passively in the sump. The levels are desired and my corals are doing well.

I have found that more money goes elsewhere (student loans) :(

• Like 1

Thanks man! No upgrades for a long time! The wife says I can get a bigger tank when I get my PhD and a job :)

Can't you buy a PhD online pretty reasonably these days? Get on it man you're runnin outta room LOL

More algae growth than desired on the rock work.

I have two Chemi pure elites and 25 g of Phosban sitting passively in the sump. The levels are desired and my corals are doing well.

What are you using to test phosphates and are you sure it is accurate/ your doing it right? If your corals are doing well I really wouldn't suggest chasing numbers..... and if your already at 0 phosphates its not like you can get lower ;)

If your phosphate is low, why would you even consider using a phosphate remover?

+1

• Like 1

RedSea Max phosphate Pro, when I have trouble reading the color the Hanna Phosphate checker.

I have not made any changes. Was thinking to putting a plastic covering around some of the rock for a week and seeing if I can kill off some of that algae.

Maybe NaCO3 H2O2 paste onto bits of the rock work at at time.

jedimasterben

Be very, very careful with NaCO3. It only takes a small amount of it to raise alk pretty significantly.

• Like 1

RedSea Max phosphate Pro, when I have trouble reading the color the Hanna Phosphate checker.

I have not made any changes. Was thinking to putting a plastic covering around some of the rock for a week and seeing if I can kill off some of that algae.

Don't want to clog up Arks thread, so I'll make it quick.

Your phosphates are reading low because of the ammount of algae in the tank. When you have a decent amount of algae in a tank, it consumes the phosphates and nitrates to the point they don't register correctly in test kits. Test kits unfortunately are very inaccurate. I simply use them as a guideline, but use my eyes more importantly.

What I do is test my tank when it's on auto pilot and doing good. I then use those numbers as a guideline.

If your tank is full of algae, obviously phosphates and nitrates must be a little high. Gfo and water changes are prob the best plan of attack.

• Like 3

Don't want to clog up Arks thread, so I'll make it quick.

Your phosphates are reading low because of the ammount of algae in the tank. When you have a decent amount of algae in a tank, it consumes the phosphates and nitrates to the point they don't register correctly in test kits. Test kits unfortunately are very inaccurate. I simply use them as a guideline, but use my eyes more importantly.

What I do is test my tank when it's on auto pilot and doing good. I then use those numbers as a guideline.

If your tank is full of algae, obviously phosphates and nitrates must be a little high. Gfo and water changes are prob the best plan of attack.

Good advice.

Hey Indy,

How much GFO are you running in your reactor?

I had another though of upgrading my return pump to get more flow through the sump. Is 750 gph pretty good without too much turnover?

My system is about 50-55 gallons.

Hey Indy,

How much GFO are you running in your reactor?

I had another though of upgrading my return pump to get more flow through the sump. Is 750 gph pretty good without too much turnover?

My system is about 50-55 gallons.

That seems like a lot of flow for a sump. You don't want too much turn around; you need enough time to have the skimmer do its job.

I only use 2tb.

That seems like a lot of flow for a sump. You don't want too much turn around; you need enough time to have the skimmer do its job.

I only use 2tb.

That's pretty darn good, I've been following brs instructions on the side of the container, 1tb for every 8 gal, I think I have 5tb in a mesh Baggie in my filter sock since I haven't set up the 2nd reactor yet.

• Like 1