Pod Your Reef

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

Do the same thing I'm doing, man. Two rows of LEDs in a 6x24 sunpower would be sexxxxxxxx

The problem is I don't have your mad scientist DIY skills. Otherwise I probably would.

• Like 1
The problem is I don't have your mad scientist DIY skills. Otherwise I probably would.

Keep in mind I'm really good with my hands and a mechanic with a lot of tools lol...but the retro using a nanobox heatsink and arrays was super easy!! It took me about 3 hours from start to finish.

• Like 2
jedimasterben

I promise you that its not that difficult. You just need to have the right tools for the job and patience. Everything else you can pretty much just look up and go by what you see, and I'm always around for advice on the electronics.

Or send it to Dave and let him do it. If you want to stay with your radion, he can use those pucks, get another one used and you can still use their software, etc.

• Like 3

Keep in mind I'm really good with my hands and a mechanic with a lot of tools lol...but the retro using a nanobox heatsink and arrays was super easy!! It took me about 3 hours from start to finish.

I promise you that its not that difficult. You just need to have the right tools for the job and patience. Everything else you can pretty much just look up and go by what you see, and I'm always around for advice on the electronics. Or send it to Dave and let him do it. If you want to stay with your radion, he can use those pucks, get another one used and you can still use their software, etc.

I have no tools nor space for them. I don't think buying the stuff I would need is doable. It's not really possible for me to send my radion and a fixture shell to Dave either as I have no backup light. I need to either have some kind of fixture that I can put my Radion into or just get a new fixture (my wife is not happy when I mentioned getting a brand new T5 fixture).

I am waiting to hear from Dave, but he has been busy (and sick) so I just have to wait. My goal is to get some T5s about this tank before the end of the year. :D

• Like 1

Too bad I don't line in Cali. I would have a mount for he radion made it 15 min! Making something to mount t5s on a radion is pretty simple.

Ya. If I had a garage and some tools to cut the metal I'm sure I could rig up something. I live in a small apartment and have no room for anything. It's too bad you don't live out here. I would totally hit you up for some help on the project.

My tank needs it. Lighting has been on my mind a lot lately. I have good growth and color using just the Radion, but I am not getting the encrusting at the base that I had before my tank's mini-crash. The tissue is not growing back; I actually had to frag my nice red dragon colony because of extremely slow TN from the base up. The coral was very healthy, growing fast, and had great PE, but the TN kept moving up to the point where I had to do something. I also have some other corals that are doing really well but they are growing funny because of the unidirectional light source. That's why all I am talking about lately is lighting.

I will post a FTS this weekend to try and make this thread sorta interesting again :)

Halides! Yes bring it on back.

I will probably do halides again once I move out of California and have an apartment/house with proper ventilation. I loved MH over my 60 cube, but there is no way I can do it right now. My apartment has terrible insulation and zero ventilation except what I get from the windows. It would turn into an oven with even a 150w MH.

I have not given up on Mh yet!

• Like 2
Ya. If I had a garage and some tools to cut the metal I'm sure I could rig up something. I live in a small apartment and have no room for anything. It's too bad you don't live out here. I would totally hit you up for some help on the project.

My tank needs it. Lighting has been on my mind a lot lately. I have good growth and color using just the Radion, but I am not getting the encrusting at the base that I had before my tank's mini-crash. The tissue is not growing back; I actually had to frag my nice red dragon colony because of extremely slow TN from the base up. The coral was very healthy, growing fast, and had great PE, but the TN kept moving up to the point where I had to do something. I also have some other corals that are doing really well but they are growing funny because of the unidirectional light source. That's why all I am talking about lately is lighting.

I will post a FTS this weekend to try and make this thread sorta interesting again :)

Those were the EXACT problems I was having!! As soon as I went with more t5 everything stopped. All the shadowing on the branches and base went away, and my encrusting growth went from thin tissue, to healthy colorful, thick tissue.

• Like 1
jedimasterben
It would turn into an oven with even a 150w MH.

Remember that for every watt of power your equipment uses you get one watt of heat. Adding 100w of T5 to your Radion at 50% will net you around 150-175w of power, and the same amount of heat.

• Like 1

Remember that for every watt of power your equipment uses you get one watt of heat. Adding 100w of T5 to your Radion at 50% will net you around 150-175w of power, and the same amount of heat.

True.

Those were the EXACT problems I was having!! As soon as I went with more t5 everything stopped. All the shadowing on the branches and base went away, and my encrusting growth went from thin tissue, to healthy colorful, thick tissue.

Do you think that with the spread I get on my radion, would I be OK with x2 T5 bulbs or should I try to do x4?

I think 2 would be perfect. Your tank is much more shallow then mine and smaller also. I was getting by with 2 and think 4 would have been the sweet spot for me. I have 6 now, but only plan on running all 6 for a short period of time.

My tank is 36x24x18

• Like 1

Do you think that with the spread I get on my radion, would I be OK with x2 T5 bulbs or should I try to do x4?

Arkayology, talking about spread with your Radions, what spread do you get? I have a single XR30 and hoping to use it on a 29x18x12 tank. I am currently using your light graph and it has been working great thus far.

Arkayology, talking about spread with your Radions, what spread do you get? I have a single XR30 and hoping to use it on a 29x18x12 tank. I am currently using your light graph and it has been working great thus far.

For SPS, I would say that I could only keep the light demanding acros in about a 15'' radius around the center of the tank. I have the birds nests and poccilaporas around the outer edges and that seems fine for them.

I'm glad that the light schedule is working well for you. Using the basic 14k and 20k settings works really well for me. i think the ramp up and down is a good thing as well.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the issues still but I know you will get it exactly where you want it.

Thanks man. Things are coming around. How are the frags you got from me doing?

Frags are all alive and growing. Good color and all. :)

Was thinking about your led issue. Wondering if a different one with more led would be better coverage. Seems to me it's more an issue of the radions spread as opposed to led. Regardless - I still have those single t5 bars.

• Like 1

Frags are all alive and growing. Good color and all. :) Was thinking about your led issue. Wondering if a different one with more led would be better coverage. Seems to me it's more an issue of the radions spread as opposed to led.

It could be the way the clusters are set, I always assumed that the optics made up for that. I bet it is probably not enough though as I am having these issues. You don't get a lot of shading with your LED fixtures?

Regardless - I still have those single t5 bars.

I'm going to see what I can find for an all-in-one enclosure for the Radion before I do any T5 additions. Thanks for reminding me that you have though.

I don't have same issues. Problem I have is the lights need to be up 4 inches but I would have the same issue with the same size t5. The radion and other center based led are radial... The razor is better but spread like DIY, reefbreeder and acan cover area more evenly than a radion. I like mine because of the number of LEDs, the spread and that they power the 3watt LEDs at 1.3 watts or so. The new reefbreeder looks promising as well.

I don't have same issues. Problem I have is the lights need to be up 4 inches but I would have the same issue with the same size t5. The radion and other center based led are radial... The razor is better but spread like DIY, reefbreeder and acan cover area more evenly than a radion. I like mine because of the number of LEDs, the spread and that they power the 3watt LEDs at 1.3 watts or so. The new reefbreeder looks promising as well.

I'm hoping the LED/T5 combo will help out my issues. I agree that you get good spread with those fixtures about your tank. It looks pretty good. The pictures don't do it complete justice. Your tank looks really great in person. Even just tank and stand themselves look fantastic, let alone with coral and fish inside.

Sps looking good sir.

• Like 1

Yup. It will hit the glass before long. I have to frag it... again.

Awesome. Haha. You should buy a little cube and try get it to encrust all 5 sides. The top down moniporium. :lol:

Awesome. Haha. You should buy a little cube and try get it to encrust all 5 sides. The top down moniporium. :lol:

I bet it would love that. Once it encrusted all 4 sides and the bottom it would then grow inward from the edge of the water to make it's own lid. I swear this sunset monti is crazy aggressive and a fast grower.

• Like 1