Pod Your Reef

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

I can't believe you said it's nothing to look at. By far one of the nicest cubes out there.

Well thanks, man! We need more pics of your tank btw. How is everything doing?

I bough reef roids and reef chili. Based on th paper they were using both had increased growth. I have not noticed a feeding response difference between both nor Oyster feast. I also am giving acropower at 1.2 ml/day. After the GFO incident, everything looks like it has really nice coloration and I am getting about 1mm/week of leading encrusting edge.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

I bough reef roids and reef chili. Based on th paper they were using both had increased growth. I have not noticed a feeding response difference between both nor Oyster feast. I also am giving acropower at 1.2 ml/day. After the GFO incident, everything looks like it has really nice coloration and I am getting about 1mm/week of leading encrusting edge.

Fingers crossed.

I never noticed a feeding response from oyster feast. Reef chili is OK, but not the best response. I get the most out of reef roids.

Sounds like you are on the right track.

jedimasterben

I'm thinking about building a wooden floating canopy and putting a miro T5 retrofit fit in it with my radion. Thoughts?

thumbsup.gif

chuck%2520norris%2520approves.gif

Makes me wanna do a riverdance.

willemdafoeriverdance.gif

• Like 4

I'm thinking about building a wooden floating canopy and putting a miro T5 retrofit fit in it with my radion. Thoughts?

This is exactly what I am getting ready to build, was going to do an enclosed, but the option to move it up and down is really attractive.

• Like 2

I'm glad you all don't think it would look bad. I think getting some 1 by 2s and framing out a box, adding some ply, painting black, and hooking the radion and 2 or 4 T5s would be what is needed.

• Like 1

I am planning to likely do something similar as well with the new tank. I did one over my 70 and liked it and the wife liked it better then a traditional canopy as well sooo yeah I say good idea :) I do want to try to find a better/ more appealing way of hanging it then I did last time tho LOL

• Like 1

I think anything can look nice if it's done right, I tried a hood because I wanted to do the same thing and I did not enjoy what it made my tank look like. :lol: Another thing I didn't like is how it covers the whole top of the tank so it makes looking top down hard impossible, unless of course you have it on some kind of lifter.

• Like 1

I think anything can look nice if it's done right, I tried a hood because I wanted to do the same thing and I did not enjoy what it made my tank look like. :lol: Another thing I didn't like is how it covers the whole top of the tank so it makes looking top down hard impossible, unless of course you have it on some kind of lifter.

A floating canopy doesn't have to cover the entire tank like a traditional one would so looking top down really wouldn't be much different then looking top down with a fixture either ;) Mine was 40x8 over a 48x18 tank.

• Like 2

A floating canopy doesn't have to cover the entire tank like a traditional one would so looking top down really wouldn't be much different then looking top down with a fixture either ;) Mine was 40x8 over a 48x18 tank.

You're right. I guess I had squares stuck in my brain. :lol:

• Like 2

Thanks for all the input. I'm still in the planning stages of what is going to happen. I'll let y'all know what I'm going to do about the T5s soon.

• Like 2

Ark, how big are you going with t5's?

I have the 24" Miro kit from my nanobox. It's got the waterproof end caps and all that jazz. I don't need it anymore. I'm keeping the nanobox, but don't need the t5 parts. Let me know if your interested. For your size tank, I'm sure 2 24" t5 would be more then enough with the radion.

• Like 2

Ark, how big are you going with t5's? I have the 24" Miro kit from my nanobox. It's got the waterproof end caps and all that jazz. I don't need it anymore. I'm keeping the nanobox, but don't need the t5 parts. Let me know if your interested. For your size tank, I'm sure 2 24" t5 would be more then enough with the radion.

Thanks for letting me know! I'll keep you in mind if I end up going the retrofit way.

I think it is just the 6x24 retro setup. I don't think I need a 6 bulb retro.

I was looking earlier in the week and I noticed BRS has the ATI 8x24 sun power on discount for less than the 6x24 fixture. I almost bought it but decided to wait and figure out if it what I want. I would likely not modify it with LEDs.

• Like 1

Blasphemer!

I know... but I am tired of the shadowing on my SPS. I am now sure that anything I DIY will look horrible so I need something pre-fabricated. I also think I want x4 24'' T5 bulbs with the Radion.

• Like 1

I think it is just the 6x24 retro setup. I don't think I need a 6 bulb retro.

I was looking earlier in the week and I noticed BRS has the ATI 8x24 sun power on discount for less than the 6x24 fixture. I almost bought it but decided to wait and figure out if it what I want. I would likely not modify it with LEDs.

I am in the same boat, do i just get a 6x54w for my 90 or build a retro with another radion, its a bunch of money, or do I get a 8x54 and have dave do his retro... Decision decisions...

• Like 2
jedimasterben
I know... but I am tired of the shadowing on my SPS. I am now sure that anything I DIY will look horrible so I need something pre-fabricated. I also think I want x4 24'' T5 bulbs with the Radion.

Do the same thing I'm doing, man. Two rows of LEDs in a 6x24 sunpower would be sexxxxxxxx