Cultivated Reef

Arkayology's Rimless 40g

Arkayology

Hmmmm. Use any chemicals or something in house? What skimmer you have again?

I have a SRO INT1000. No chemicals in the house. I can't figure it out. I just took the skimmer pump apart, found some baby banded trochus snails in the pump impeller that I figured were doing something, but that didn't do anything once I plugged the skimmer back in.

edit: I've never had an issue with this skimmer in 3 years. A little reading has told me that many believe the pump is too big for this skimmer and draws too much air sometimes. This created an imbalance and the skimmer will overflow. It appears as if I need to mod the intake with a valve to reduce the amount of air entering the venturi so I can dial it back a bit.

edit: I've never had an issue with this skimmer in 3 years.

Sounds like you're one of the lucky ones. I purchased my SRO XP1000SSS second hand and it came with a rusted Bubble Blaster pump. The guy never even told me about this when I purchased it. Now I'm nervous about replacing the pump with a new one fearing that it will only rust again. I have a Vertex Omega 150 also but would really like to use the SRO because of its small footprint.

Sounds like you're one of the lucky ones. I purchased my SRO XP1000SSS second hand and it came with a rusted Bubble Blaster pump. The guy never even told me about this when I purchased it. Now I'm nervous about replacing the pump with a new one fearing that it will only rust again. I have a Vertex Omega 150 also but would really like to use the SRO because of its small footprint.

I have also heard that about other Sro skimmers like the 3000.

Yeah, this is something that probably has been going on for about two months. Not sure what changed. I bought it used about 3 years ago. I guess the guy that sold it to me was having the same issues

I put a clothespin on the intake air tube to restrict it a bit and it is working OK for now with the gate valve completely closed. I am getting lots of small bubbles in the skimmer and nice big bubbles in the skimmer neck. Seems OK for now.

To think, my most successful tank was a non-modified RedSea Max with T5's. Now seem the trend is going back.

My most successful tanks have been with T5s. I actually remember the last time I used T5s the tanks didn't turn out that well lol. I think this time will be better.

If get sick of it the vertex 130 is on sale now for 199. Killer deal. Had mine a year now and love it.

Maybe... but I don't know if I can convince the wife lol. I still have to pay for the apex DOS whenever mine gets in at MD.

And just got the new light also. Can always buy new skimmer and sell yours for good amount yet. Not like anything wrong with it. I just believe they do that time to time. It's worse if you have drain from the collection cup. That's when it's something I couldn't deal with

• Like 1

I have the SRO XP 2000. If you have overflow issues it probably needs raised up more, this helped mine settle down. Has the sump water level increased any?

Nope, very stable. I did raise it couple a few more inches last night along with the clothespin restricting the airline. It is now probably in 4inches of water.

And just got the new light also. Can always buy new skimmer and sell yours for good amount yet. Not like anything wrong with it. I just believe they do that time to time. It's worse if you have drain from the collection cup. That's when it's something I couldn't deal with

Yeah, I have been using a drain line lately. I thought that could have been it, but I don't see why it would effect it. There are any pressure issues in the skimmer as there are already air holes drilled in the skimmer cup lid.

I would run carbon just to be safe. Strange.

Yup, put some in last night. I thought that it was best to be safe too.

I wonder how much I could ask or the used skimmer? Maybe $150?

• Like 1

Have you pulled and inspected the pump itself, might be something going on/ leaching there.... alot of them have a dummy back panel if you can remove it worth taking a look there as well. I had similar issues and couldn't figure out why, then for 3 days I smelled smoke/ melting plastic in the fish room but couldn't find it.... went to empty the skimmer cup and smelled it coming out of one of the pump air lines (skimmer took 3 pumps...) sure enough pulled the pump and it was melting down + rusting out big time. I lost a few fish, and a ton of large acros! :( So yeah definitely check every angle, stir up the sump and do a water change out of there as well.

• Like 1

Have you pulled and inspected the pump itself, might be something going on/ leaching there.... alot of them have a dummy back panel if you can remove it worth taking a look there as well. I had similar issues and couldn't figure out why, then for 3 days I smelled smoke/ melting plastic in the fish room but couldn't find it.... went to empty the skimmer cup and smelled it coming out of one of the pump air lines (skimmer took 3 pumps...) sure enough pulled the pump and it was melting down + rusting out big time. I lost a few fish, and a ton of large acros! :( So yeah definitely check every angle, stir up the sump and do a water change out of there as well.

The pump seems OK to me. The impeller wheel was my main focus but I didn't notice any burning smell or deformities on the pump when I was cleaning it last night. I'll check again to make sure. I think I found a local buyer. The skimmer is much too big for my tank anyways. I had used it on my 60g before, but now on the 40 it might be too big.
  • Like 1

I'd say right around 7.5 inches. My skimmer section 10x11.75. I could maybe go inch smaller each way but would be tight.

If need space what about aquamax cones co-1 ? Wicked skimmer also from what I have heard. I did a lot of reading in past on it. If didn't get steal on vertex that was gonna be my choice.

• Like 1

I'd say right around 7.5 inches. My skimmer section 10x11.75. I could maybe go inch smaller each way but would be tight.If need space what about aquamax cones co-1 ? Wicked skimmer also from what I have heard. I did a lot of reading in past on it. If didn't get steal on vertex that was gonna be my choice.

I've also heard good things about the aquamaxx co-1. I wonder if it would fit in my sump. I'll have to do some measuring.

Mr. Microscope

Ark, did you look at the spot where the air intake hose connects to the pump (not the hose itself, but the connection point)? I often find that salt somehow solidifies there and causes the skimmer to just pump water which leads to overflowing the collection cup.

Big Al's is doing a daily deal for the JNS C-01 skimmer (same skimmer part-for-part as the Aquamaxx?) for 199.99.

Great skimmer. I have a Jns sk2. It's one line up from the co-1. Great skimmers!