Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Oxydator and Hydrogen peroxide.

atoll

albertthiel

Yes, I think this is exactly the problem with the method I'm thinking of. And I think its all due to the fact that O2 is a small molecule and a porous ceramic doesn't have the fine enough holes to achieve what is done with CO2 diffusers. I think that is why this is such an elegantly simple, yet complex device. It achieves something so complex with so little. Not a single moving part or anything. I just can't get over how clever it is. The Germans really are masters of engineering.

Yes it has been around for decades and still is in very wide use in both FW and SW tanks especially in Europe and the Far East and is starting to finally gain acceptance here in the US

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, that is my only annoyance with all this. A lack of documentation. Everyone is so secretive about their methods and systems.

Yeah, that is my only annoyance with all this. A lack of documentation. Everyone is so secretive about their methods and systems.

proprietary information is the basis of capitalism and the bane of science, lol. We have lots of hurdles like this in science.

albertthiel

I expect that because two PhDs (not sure what the degrees were in, but presumably science/engineering backgrounds of some kind) developed the system, that it works, whether it has to do with the peroxide, oxygen or a combination of both (my personal hypothesis is this, leaning more to oxygen but with a bit of peroxide tossed in). All I have is anecdotal evidence for everything, but we do a lot of things based on anecdotal evidence in this hobby. If it works for you, use it. If it doesn't, stop using it. I'll keep up my progress in my other thread.

Well said tibbsy

I alluded to the fact that we use a lot of devices and compounds and foods and do not have scientific evidence about them yet we do use them :)

Guess your last statement is what we should all remember : if it works, use it etc ....

Albert

That is normal in the hobby ... give out all the information and whatever you produce will very soon be copied .... I should know :)

I added (2) mini Oxydators to my BC29 approximately 2 weeks ago. I don't have any scientific data to share, but below are my observations:

• I did not have any type of algae bloom as a result of the Oxydator.

• I was having issues with Diatoms as of late. By end of the week between cleaning/water change the diatoms would be pretty much covering my glass as well as certain spots on my sand bed. I no longer have diatoms on my sand bed and very little if at all on the glass.

• I was having issues with green turf algae resulting from what I believe was low alkalinity. I began slowly raising my alkalinity and added the (2) Oxydators to the back compartment of my BC29. I also added some additional clean-up crew including a couple of Emerald crabs. After about a week, the algae started to turn a little lighter in color and the crabs began to eat it. It is almost entirely gone at this point. I have not idea if the Oxydator aided in this in any way...too many other variables...but none the less my turf algae is gone.

• The Oxydator did not harm my cleaner shrimp of my pistol shrimp.

• My water clarify has always been good but seems to be even better now.

Lots of variables...but it seems to pass the eye test.

George

albertthiel

I added (2) mini Oxydators to my BC29 approximately 2 weeks ago. I don't have any scientific data to share, but below are my observations:

• I was having issues with Diatoms as of late. By end of the week between cleaning/water change the diatoms would be pretty much covering my glass as well as certain spots on my sand bed. I no longer have diatoms on my sand bed and very little if at all on the glass.

• I was having issues with green turf algae resulting from what I believe was low alkalinity. I began slowly raising my alkalinity and added the (2) Oxydators to the back compartment of my BC29. I also added some additional clean-up crew including a couple of Emerald crabs. After about a week, the algae started to turn a little lighter in color and the crabs began to eat it. It is almost entirely gone at this point. I have not idea if the Oxydator aided in this in any way...too many other variables...but none the less my turf algae is gone.

George

Thanks for sharing your positive experiences

Albert

Thanks for sharing your positive experiences

Albert

Hey albert what % of H202 should we be using for the best results

Hey albert what % of H202 should we be using for the best results

The patents say that 15%-20% is optimal, but 5-30% works.

George

Nice! I am having diatom issues, too. What percent peroxide are you using? How many catalysts?

CronicReefer

I've had excellent results with approximately 6-7% solution. It was two weeks before I had to refill for the first time.

Nice! I am having diatom issues, too. What percent peroxide are you using? How many catalysts?

The mini Oxydator ships with 4.9% H2O2. I am using both catalysts...

From experience. No more than 9% but as a norm 6% is the usual % you should be using.

I've had excellent results with approximately 6-7% solution. It was two weeks before I had to refill for the first time.

Thanks for the feedback guys.... I just ordered the D model and 6% to be safe

The mini Oxydator ships with 4.9% H2O2. I am using both catalysts...

Interesting. The 4.9% works for you? I'll have to see if using 2 catalysts helps.

Interesting. The 4.9% works for you? I'll have to see if using 2 catalysts helps.

It seems to be working...i have two of the minis in the back middle chamber of BC29.

i will probably try 6% once I use up the solution that shipped with it.

Marc.The.Shark

4 days in & nothing noticeable, pH has been pretty consistent as before. I did not get a algae bloom at all. My glass is still pretty crappy & needs to be cleaned at the 3 day mark. No livestock adversely affected in any way. I'm using only 1 catalyst with the 4.9% that the mini came with. Going to do a water change today or tomorrow and let 'er ride. Nothing good happens overnight. When the H2O2 runs out, if I still notice nothing, I'll give 2 catylysts a try.

albertthiel

4 days in & nothing noticeable, pH has been pretty consistent as before. I did not get a algae bloom at all. My glass is still pretty crappy & needs to be cleaned at the 3 day mark. No livestock adversely affected in any way. I'm using only 1 catalyst with the 4.9% that the mini came with. Going to do a water change today or tomorrow and let 'er ride. Nothing good happens overnight. When the H2O2 runs out, if I still notice nothing, I'll give 2 catylysts a try.

Yes that is what I would do too ... 2 catalysts and maybe go up in H2O2 strength to 6 % if you can

Albert

Marc.The.Shark

Albert, would I be safe in assuming that with 2 catalysts, I would use up the H2O2 at twice the rate?

albertthiel

Albert, would I be safe in assuming that with 2 catalysts, I would use up the H2O2 at twice the rate?

Not necessarily at twice the rate but faster yes. You will find that you will need to refill the container sooner than you do if you were to use only one catalyst

Albert

After about a week, the algae started to turn a little lighter in color and the crabs began to eat it.

George

Hi George, this is a classic, utterly classic, symptom of peroxide dosing. Algae first whitens and in this weakened state, inverts are seen eating it when previously they wouldn't touch a healthy tuft. Anecdotally, to me this proves that the oxydator indeed allows peroxide dosing.

albertthiel

Hi George, this is a classic, utterly classic, symptom of peroxide dosing. Algae first whitens and in this weakened state, inverts are seen eating it when previously they wouldn't touch a healthy tuft. Anecdotally, to me this proves that the oxydator indeed allows peroxide dosing.

Or it is due to the higher ORP in the tank that make the algae whiten somewhat too ... also anecdotal Kat

Albert

jedimasterben

Or it is due to the higher ORP in the tank that make the algae whiten somewhat too ... also anecdotal Kat

Albert

:huh: I've never heard of elevated ORP doing that even anecdotally. It is well-known that peroxide kills algae in this way - the algae turns white due to the peroxide bursting cells and then CUC takes care of it.

Archived