ReefCleaners.org

Oxydator and Hydrogen peroxide.

atoll

Thank you Albert. One more thing if I can trouble you; should I start the oxydators just after cycling the tank?

Yes let your tank cycle first.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Albert. One more thing if I can trouble you; should I start the oxydators just after cycling the tank?

Yes indeed

Albert

• 1 year later...
johnthehermit

I have a question regarding a Sochting oxydator. I have just purchased one to use in my sump after siporax to add oxygen before the return pump and I'm wondering if it would be possible to use one in a QT while treating with cupramine. Would the oxidator affect the copper treatment or be of benefit?

thanks

John

ps; I'm asking here as I know Albert and Les are the gurus regarding their use. ;)

I have never used copper since I started using Oxydators all those years ago, I have never had a need to use copper as I haven't had a single outbreak of the likes of white spot since,.so I can't advise you sorry.

johnthehermit

I have never used copper since I started using Oxydators all those years ago, I have never had a need to use copper as I haven't had a single outbreak of the likes of white spot since,.so I can't advise you sorry.

Thanks. I'm in the process of setting up my new tank and sump and it's not even got water in yet. I will probably treat new fish proactively with cupramine but would like to add a small oxydator to the QT. I may only be able to use it before and after cupramine if it interacts in a negative way. I've emailed Seachem and if I receive an answer I'll post it.

thanks again

John

Thanks. I'm in the process of setting up my new tank and sump and it's not even got water in yet. I will probably treat new fish proactively with cupramine but would like to add a small oxydator to the QT. I may only be able to use it before and after cupramine if it interacts in a negative way. I've emailed Seachem and if I receive an answer I'll post it.

thanks again

John

IMO an Oxydator helps fight off the likes of white spot which attacks the gills of the fish and asphyxiates them. The higher oxygen in the water is like putting an oxygen mask on the fish and helps the fish fight the parasite attached to the gills

johnthehermit

IMO an Oxydator helps fight off the likes of white spot which attacks the gills of the fish and asphyxiates them. The higher oxygen in the water is like putting an oxygen mask on the fish and helps the fish fight the parasite attached to the gills

I've been reading all the posts on different forums for a while now and accept the benefits an Oxydator may bring. I'm starting a new tank after many years out of the reefing hobby and will try to introduce livestock that is as free of parasites as possible, hence the QT. I do however appreciate no matter how careful I am it's still possible to introduce problems just by adding a piece of coral etc unless I quarantine every new addition for 9 or 10 weeks. Have I got the patience :rolleyes:

John

I've been reading all the posts on different forums for a while now and accept the benefits an Oxydator may bring. I'm starting a new tank after many years out of the reefing hobby and will try to introduce livestock that is as free of parasites as possible, hence the QT. I do however appreciate no matter how careful I am it's still possible to introduce problems just by adding a piece of coral etc unless I quarantine every new addition for 9 or 10 weeks. Have I got the patience :rolleyes:

John

Now first of all may I say I don't suggest you do the same as me of course. I have not quarantined a fish or coral come to that (however I do dip corals) in my 36 years keeping marines. I have not had a single out break of white spot in the last 25 years or so and in the last 9 or 10 tanks I have had in that time. In each of these tanks I have used an Oxydator (current 100 gallon reef tank I am using 2 X Oxydator A's) Coincidence or just lucky? I think not.

jedimasterben

Except that fish don't have a slime coat over their gills to rid them of the parasites, otherwise they'd suffocate ;)

Except that fish don't have a slime coat over their gills to rid them of the parasites, otherwise they'd suffocate ;)

Slime coat or no slime coat I have seen enough fish with white spot helped get over it when an Oxydator was put in the tank. Fish with white spot have fast mouth and gill movements to try and pass more oxygen laden water through their gills. If you can increase the amount of oxygen in that water then you can help the fish breath more easily which in turn will help the fish fight the outbreak of white spot.

johnthehermit

Now first of all may I say I don't suggest you do the same as me of course. I have not quarantined a fish or coral come to that (however I do dip corals) in my 36 years keeping marines. I have not had a single out break of white spot in the last 25 years or so and in the last 9 or 10 tanks I have had in that time. In each of these tanks I have used an Oxydator (current 100 gallon reef tank I am using 2 X Oxydator A's) Coincidence or just lucky? I think not.

No I don't think it's coincidence either. I'm sure increasing levels of oxygen do give fish help in fighting infection and attack by parasites which is why I've bought my Oxydator. I also think the Oxydator works to a degree like ozone and may work against algae and pathogens. My new tank is just under 100 gallons plus another 33 in a largish sump, would one A Oxidator be enough or would you suggest more? I notice you're showing off with two ;) Also what strength H2O2 would you suggest? I've ordered 12% with the intention of diluting it. It will be lightly stocked at first and I'll wait several months before adding corals to give the system time to stabilize. I'm not rushing this.

John

No I don't think it's coincidence either. I'm sure increasing levels of oxygen do give fish help in fighting infection and attack by parasites which is why I've bought my Oxydator. I also think the Oxydator works to a degree like ozone and may work against algae and pathogens. My new tank is just under 100 gallons plus another 33 in a largish sump, would one A Oxidator be enough or would you suggest more? I notice you're showing off with two ;) Also what strength H2O2 would you suggest? I've ordered 12% with the intention of diluting it. It will be lightly stocked at first and I'll wait several months before adding corals to give the system time to stabilize. I'm not rushing this.

John

It's not easy to advise as there are so many variable factors for each individual tank and system not least is the stocking level of any given tank. I put a second Oxydator "A" in to help rid a small amount of cyno and increased the % of peroxide above what I usually recommend others use no more than 9%. I upped the peroxide concentration to a full 12% in each and I have no more cyno. I stress however I have quite a high stocking rate and feed a lot to both fish and corals so the tank produces a lot of waste. I may reduce my peroxide level down to 9% again soon,

• 3 weeks later...

Where can one buy one of these? Haven't found any online yet

Am in the UK so can't advise but I understand there is a US distributor. Perhaps Albert can advise on where to purchase them.

Archived