ReefCleaners.org

Oxydator and Hydrogen peroxide.

atoll

test=some peroxide and green food dye in that compartment in a standing container of equal gravity sw? just musing. im thinking tint doest have an essence, if the water is light green its light leak.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CronicReefer

How does it allow the water and O2 freely into the aquarium and NOT the peroxide that it is dosing? The patents explain exactly how this process works, that's the main thing I'm getting at here. Peroxide does not instantaneously react and break down upon touching something, it takes time. If a drop of peroxide is let out of the reservoir, the water flow in the tank or sump is going to very quickly pull it out and away from the ceramic and it will not have time to react and break down.

The diving bell area is where a pressure difference occurs between the outside aquarium water and the peroxide being pushed out of the beaker and into the diving bell. This is what allows it to come out at a slow and controlled rate breaking down all the peroxide into water and O2. If this diving bell pressure difference didn't exist the peroxide would just be pushed out freely by the catalyst reacting with the peroxide in the beaker and that would then cause peroxide to make its way into the aquarium.

Edit: This is also the reason why the 4.9% solution is what is guaranteed. Any higher peroxide concentration may indeed leech into the aquarium past the ceramic.

Hi

Does anyone have first hand experience using the oxydator in a tank with skunk cleaner shrimp and / or pistol shrimp? I emailed the company that makes the oxydator and received the following reply:

Can I use the oxydator in a reef take with Skunk Cleaner Shrimp? It is a biocube 29 and I will put the oxydator in one of the back chambers.

but this is a question of the amount of H2O2 coming into the water.

An Oxydator releases water and oxgen and some H2O2, thats cleans the water
and oxidizing different matter (rising up Redoxpotential). That is an improtant factor of an
Oxydator. As far we know, some Lower Animals in saltwater are sensitive to H2O2,
that means if you use an Oxydator in saltwater, take a lower concentration and rises it up slowly,
until you have the level of "normal" concentration as recommended in swéat water.n

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

George

I dont know if you guys remember this post but a reefer reached out to the company regarding its potential affect on sensitive organisms such as shrimp. Above is their reply...

So I think we can agree that this unit releases small amounts of H202 back into the water column but it seems for the most part the amount released is negligible with only the most sensitive animals possibly being affected negatively.

At best the unit is an automatic peroxide doser with a rather ingenious design.

I get that people who've used it since 1988 say it works, but what makes them say this? Have they tried any other methods for comparison?

This is a good question, an answer to which interests me most. For example I've used GFO and Phosguard on my tanks at different times, both to get to the same result - lower phosphates. Both worked, but I prefer one of them. There are equally as many users of GFO that say it works as those for whom it doesn't or who had problems, same with Phosguard. I wouldn't ever blatantly say GFO works. It works for me. Phosguard works for many hobbyists here but not for me. What comparison has there been to the Oxydator? None.

I understand better now that this is a peroxide doser. I am okay with that, I even like it. I'm still not sure though, how the algae actually increased in my tank. Perhaps they got extra oxygen as a result. Curious.

albertthiel

This is a good question, an answer to which interests me most. For example I've used GFO and Phosguard on my tanks at different times, both to get to the same result - lower phosphates. Both worked, but I prefer one of them. There are equally as many users of GFO that say it works as those for whom it doesn't or who had problems, same with Phosguard. I wouldn't ever blatantly say GFO works. It works for me. Phosguard works for many hobbyists here but not for me. What comparison has there been to the Oxydator? None.

I understand better now that this is a peroxide doser. I am okay with that, I even like it. I'm still not sure though, how the algae actually increased in my tank. Perhaps they got extra oxygen as a result. Curious.

Indeed Kat there are many devices we use and many compounds and foods that are subject to what you describe. Some swear by them and others do not like them and/or report adverse experiences

I guess that is kind or what happens in the hobby as you intimate

Albert

Sort of reminds me of the entire "to use a uv filter or not to use uv filter " on reef tank debate.

Got a oxydator coming this week so we'll see what it does to the gha and litle cyano I have

Marc.The.Shark

Does peroxide work? Sure does, Ive dipped hairy bubble algae frag plugs in 50/50 H2O2/Tank water, boom, all gone. Is this oxydator going to provide me some benefit? IDK, but I'll tell you what, I've wasted $20 on worse things in this hobby, so I'm going to try it. It may turn out to be "RonCo Sray on Hair" for those of you that are old enuf to remember that. Its important to remember that we're all trying to do something unnatural. We're trying to have a pristine environment in our tanks, no pests, no algae, etc. That's not how nature works, but that's what we want & to achieve this we all use different methods & different combinations of those methods, ie. Skimmers, gfo, Chemipure, phosguard, vodka(that'll be the day that I put perfectly good vodka in my tank! Lol), etc, etc. We're all looking for the magic solution.....there is none. And that's part of the fun for me. When I see an aptasia anemone, I don't freak out and think my tanks gonna crash. I just deal with it the best way I can. So maybe it'll make my water invisible & my Chemipure blue makes it "wetter", whatever. if it takes the algae off the glass or reduces the frequency I have to clean my acrylic, then I'm sold, less chances to scratch it. If not then I've got a $20 shot glass for that vodka I'm not going to put in my tank!

Hi folks

It's Martin (Dr. of optometry). I have performed an experiment with some interesting results just for personal interest. It's not an investigation into effectivity, just a method of simulating the oxydator. If you have read my previous post I talked about a system of disinfecting soft contact lenses. Actually there are two. AOSept and Clear Care. The system uses hydrogen peroxide to disinfect the lenses. In the lens holding case there is a disc referred to as the platinum disc that is the catalyst for converting the hydrogen peroxide to plain saline. I didn't use the prepare solution because it contains other ingredients besides peroxide. I simply filled the lens holding container with 3% H2O2 and held it underwater in my tank. There is a small hole that allows the oxygen released in the reaction it is released slowly and it is a very small vial. The only problem is that it has to be held because the cup with the disc floats. It would need a weight that somehow would keep it on the bottom. The disc is reusable many times.

So I think I made my own mini-mini oxydator. This may be useless but I wanted to see what happens. I might try to weight the vial with a non contaminating object. But you can see an occasional bubble of presumed O2 escaping into the water. The process is typically done at the end of the contact lens wearing day,so by the morning the peroxide is completely converted to saline. That's if your using their peroxide solution. DON'T use theirs. Use 3% only.

Hi folks

It's Martin (Dr. of optometry). I have performed an experiment with some interesting results just for personal interest. It's not an investigation into effectivity, just a method of simulating the oxydator. If you have read my previous post I talked about a system of disinfecting soft contact lenses. Actually there are two. AOSept and Clear Care. The system uses hydrogen peroxide to disinfect the lenses. In the lens holding case there is a disc referred to as the platinum disc that is the catalyst for converting the hydrogen peroxide to plain saline. I didn't use the prepare solution because it contains other ingredients besides peroxide. I simply filled the lens holding container with 3% H2O2 and held it underwater in my tank. There is a small hole that allows the oxygen released in the reaction it is released slowly and it is a very small vial. The only problem is that it has to be held because the cup with the disc floats. It would need a weight that somehow would keep it on the bottom. The disc is reusable many times.

So I think I made my own mini-mini oxydator. This may be useless but I wanted to see what happens. I might try to weight the vial with a non contaminating object. But you can see an occasional bubble of presumed O2 escaping into the water. The process is typically done at the end of the contact lens wearing day,so by the morning the peroxide is completely converted to saline. That's if your using their peroxide solution. DON'T use theirs. Use 3% only.

Cool! I worked for a contact lens company and we tested the various lens solutions' efficacies against a few different ocular pathogens to determine which was most effective, including the peroxide-containing ones. The few that have peroxide were far better at killing microbes than their non-peroxide counterparts. Peroxide is fantastic stuff and I have no doubt it works in our tanks. I just wonder how well in these oxydators.

I really wish I could use an oxygen probe or something for this. I may see if anyone is selling one locally or if I can borrow one from a lab around here.

Has the peroxide source for the members with negative results been cross referenced? Could one source of peroxide be worse then another if its not a clean source (contaminated to some extent)

jedimasterben

Has the peroxide source for the members with negative results been cross referenced? Could one source of peroxide be worse then another if its not a clean source (contaminated to some extent)

The chances of that are incredibly slim as it happened at different times and across the country, as well.

test=some peroxide and green food dye in that compartment in a standing container of equal gravity sw? just musing. im thinking tint doest have an essence, if the water is light green its light leak.

I put my oxydator away someplace, I'll have to find it and try this test.

albertthiel

Sort of reminds me of the entire "to use a uv filter or not to use uv filter " on reef tank debate.

Got a oxydator coming this week so we'll see what it does to the gha and litle cyano I have

It is not meant to rid your tank of GHA .... !! but it will help with overall water quality and oxidize out micro algae and their growth on the tank's glass or acrylic

Albert

I put my oxydator away someplace, I'll have to find it and try this test.

Yes good idea indeed

Albert

The chances of that are incredibly slim as it happened at different times and across the country, as well.

Algae growth would be caused by nutrients in the water that are still present and possibly by the type of lighting

BTW algae do not need CO2 during night ,,, they release it hence the pH goes down .. if the oxydator does indeed lower CO2 by increasing O2 then the pH would become more stable

Albert

That would not be an issue in this IMO

This might be my issue. The peroxide supplied is 4.9%, but all the patents and data say that less than 5% is impractical and ineffective. 15-20% is optimal. I am going to keep trying and recording (click the black picture in my signature) my results.
albertthiel

This might be my issue. The peroxide supplied is 4.9%, but all the patents and data say that less than 5% is impractical and ineffective. 15-20% is optimal. I am going to keep trying and recording (click the black picture in my signature) my results.

Thanks Tibbsy and let us know what your observations are

Albert

It is established that co2 is not excluded by o2, need to keep that in focus. Saturation of oxygen at 101% still allows you to pump in co2 to its own max. argon as well if one was inclined. RHF is the ultimate guru for that, be sure and ask him any clarifications on that link i provided

he directly confirmed in the thread, we should pose him some questions there if any are out there, id enjoy the read.

there is no amount of oxygenation we can provide that will affect co2 at all, it has its own pathway and storage max independent of all other gasses. id stated it was hard to fathom,but not that it was debatable. chemistry always throws curves like that imo

henrys law

bohrs law

the reason its applicable here is because we are reaching for causatives, eliminating one helps. Whatever the actions or inactions of the oxydator, co2 levels are controlled by input, off gassing and surface boil rates, inorganic and organic sinking but never o2 levels.

albertthiel

It is thoroughly established that co2 is not excluded by o2, need to keep that in focus. Saturation of oxygen at 101% still allows you to pump in co2 to its own max. argon as well if one was inclined. RHF is the ultimate guru for that, be sure and ask him any clarifications on that link i provided team

there is no amount of oxygenation we can provide that will affect co2 at all, it has its own pathway and storage max independent of all other gasses. id stated it was hard to fathom, not that it was debatable. its henrys law and bohrs law et al

the reason its applicable here is because we are reaching for causatives, eliminating one helps.

Why is he the guru Brandon .. ? Has he published scientific papers on the subject or are you relying on articles he wrote for some online web sites ?

Just saying

Albert

jedimasterben

Why is he the guru Brandon .. ? Has he published scientific papers on the subject or are you relying on articles he wrote for some online web sites ?

Just saying

Albert

Considering that Randy Holmes-Farley is a renowned chemist, I'd say he is pretty qualified to talk on the subject. In addition, he does have a series of articles that talk about oxygen, ozone, etc.
albertthiel

Considering that Randy Holmes-Farley is a renowned chemist, I'd say he is pretty qualified to talk on the subject. In addition, he does have a series of articles that talk about oxygen, ozone, etc.

Agreed

After 30 my years using Oxydator's on at least 9 tanks in that time and observing nothing but good results while using them along with that of a number of friends who use them then reading some of the replies on here I have finally lost the will to live. I will say again I have nothing to give but my experience in using Oxydator's in reef tanks and fish only (mostly reef tanks just one fish only tank) I have related my experiences and the odd theory but I prefer actual experience over theory. Oxydator's are not a here today gone tomorrow thing and the science behind them is solid. I will leave you all, well some of you to your theory's and nit picking. If Oxydator's work for you thats great if not shame but there you have it. End of...... possibly.

this is all quality nr information filtering. its lovely even though there's lots to sort through. those who haven't used it as long are going to approach skeptical...it w reflect well on the device to convinve the skeptics. reef forums are good snake oil filters for sure. i myself think an oxydator is just fine and if they made a mini version for a 1 gal id try it out just to see if i could get away with less burning off microalgae monthly.

albertthiel

this is all quality nr information filtering. its lovely even though there's lots to sort through. those who haven't used it as long are going to approach skeptical...it w reflect well on the device to convinve the skeptics. reef forums are good snake oil filters for sure. i myself think an oxydator is just fine and if they made a mini version for a 1 gal id try it out just to see if i could get away with less burning off microalgae monthly.

Glad to read it Brandon but yes unfortunately they do not make a real real small one for Pico Tanks. Pity

Albert

You could use the nano one with a single catalyst and less peroxide in the actual jar.

jedimasterben

After 30 my years using Oxydator's on at least 9 tanks in that time and observing nothing but good results while using them along with that of a number of friends who use them then reading some of the replies on here I have finally lost the will to live. I will say again I have nothing to give but my experience in using Oxydator's in reef tanks and fish only (mostly reef tanks just one fish only tank) I have related my experiences and the odd theory but I prefer actual experience over theory. Oxydator's are not a here today gone tomorrow thing and the science behind them is solid. I will leave you all, well some of you to your theory's and nit picking. If Oxydator's work for you thats great if not shame but there you have it. End of...... possibly.

Could you be any more of a drama queen about all of this? We are here explaining how Oxydators are designed, the principle by which it works, and why things you see happening are happening, not that you are not seeing results! The information is right in front of you and yet you still refuse to see anything but your 'it's worked for 30 years, so it must work by magic' point of view. What we have explained is not theory.

DKsiptL.jpg

Archived