Pod Your Reef

Oxydator and Hydrogen peroxide.

atoll

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
albertthiel

Interesting to note, I've had more algal growth on my glass than I did before adding the oxydator.

And how long was the Oxydator in the tank Ben ?

I find it tricky to grasp that saturation of a given mass doesn't affect another.

I feel the same

Excellent idea Rehype and do keep us posted on whatever you find out and whatever other observations you come up with after using the Oxydator for a certain length of time as the benefits as explained do not necessarily appear immediately

Albert

Will do albert.

jedimasterben

And how long was the Oxydator in the tank Ben ?

Since Thursday afternoon? Something like that. I've had more algae growth in that short time than I've had for weeks lol

albertthiel

I feel the same

Will do albert.

Thanks Rehype

And on the gas saturation issue : I feel the same way since water can only hold so much of dissolved gasses, if one increases another one has to decrease IMO

Albert

Since Thursday afternoon? Something like that. I've had more algae growth in that short time than I've had for weeks lol

Give it a little more time Ben ... and they should start disappearing

As I wrote before nothing is instantaneous .. some of the effects take time to become apparent

Albert

jedimasterben

Give it a little more time Ben ... and they should start disappearing

As I wrote before nothing is instantaneous .. some of the effects take time to become apparent

Albert

Well, considering that it was the only thing that changed at that time. More than likely an odd coincidence, but kat had the exact same thing happen.

albertthiel

Well, considering that it was the only thing that changed at that time. More than likely an odd coincidence, but kat had the exact same thing happen.

Very odd indeed. Leave the Oxydator in the tank and wait for a little longer to see the effects

Is it a unit large enough for your tank and are you using strong enough peroxide ?

Albert

jedimasterben

Very odd indeed. Leave the Oxydator in the tank and wait for a little longer to see the effects

Is it a unit large enough for your tank and are you using strong enough peroxide ?

Albert

Used 40mL of 35% peroxide and 180mL of DI water, two 'catalysts'.

Am just wondering if in Jed's case the Oxydator has broken something down in his tank to actually fuel algae for a period of time giving the type algae he has something to feed off. Perhaps it killed off some micro algae adding their nutrients to the water If either is the case then hopefully the burst of growth will subside when whatever it is is used up. The vast majority of people using Oxydator's report the exact opposite in algae growth as we know. It's certainly a rare occurrence judging by the feedback we have revived both on here and other forums for sure.

albertthiel

Used 40mL of 35% peroxide and 180mL of DI water, two 'catalysts'.

Seems OK to me Ben ... just give it a lttle more time to do "it's thing" for lack of a better way to describe it :)

Albert

Am just wondering if in Jed's case the Oxydator has broken something down in his tank to actually fuel algae for a period of time giving the type algae he has something to feed off. Perhaps it killed off some micro algae adding their nutrients to the water If either is the case then hopefully the burst of growth will subside when whatever it is is used up. The vast majority of people using Oxydator's report the exact opposite in algae growth as we know. It's certainly a rare occurrence judging by the feedback we have revived both on here and other forums for sure.

Yes that could very well be the case Les

Albert

Give it time... ;)

Indeed, nothing happens immediately

Albert

Seems OK to me Ben ... just give it a lttle more time to do "it's thing" for lack of a better way to describe it :)

Albert

Yes that could very well be the case Les

Albert

Indeed, nothing happens immediately

Albert

Yes I also suspect that it has probably upset a balance somewhere in this system.

Increased oxygen saturation on its own would not do this. Its likely to be an interaction, and hopefully transient.

Have shot of an email to Dr. Uwe Kohler at Söchting in Germany to ask his opinion.

jedimasterben

I'm running a Reef Octopus NWB-150 with upgraded pump for a skimmer, a 55w UV sterilizer getting 100% of my return pump feed (around 450GPH or so), along with 1.5L of Seachem deNitrate in a TLF 550 reactor. I have no sandbed with flow ranging from high to washing machine and as such have very little detrital material in the tank. I feed immense quantities to make up for this fact, with at least two cubes of frozen food and around a teaspoon of NLS pellets going in the tank every day.

albertthiel

I'm running a Reef Octopus NWB-150 with upgraded pump for a skimmer, a 55w UV sterilizer getting 100% of my return pump feed (around 450GPH or so), along with 1.5L of Seachem deNitrate in a TLF 550 reactor. I have no sandbed with flow ranging from high to washing machine and as such have very little detrital material in the tank. I feed immense quantities to make up for this fact, with at least two cubes of frozen food and around a teaspoon of NLS pellets going in the tank every day.

With heavy feeding the effect may be delayed for a while Ben ... give it more time and I am sure you will see the benefits that the majority of us see. Those who do not may have other processes going on that require longer times for the Oxydator to show what it does and I can assure you it does. I have used them fora long time (even now on my Jellyfish tank) and the positive results become qiuite apparent after a while ...

Albert

jedimasterben

With heavy feeding the effect may be delayed for a while Ben ... give it more time and I am sure you will see the benefits that the majority of us see. Those who do not may have other processes going on that require longer times for the Oxydator to show what it does and I can assure you it does. I have used them fora long time (even now on my Jellyfish tank) and the positive results become qiuite apparent after a while ...

Albert

What does the heavy feeding have to do with it? Genuinely curious, as I've already got the filtration capacity to exceed what I'm already putting in, some corals are still pretty shrunken up. :)

Am not doubting your filtration at all, what I am suggesting is there maybe something in your water most of us either don't have or have very little of which the added oxygen is reacting with be that a micro algae or other. Clearly something is different if you suspect the Oxydator is the catalyst for the increase in algae growth. As far as I am aware the 2 main things algae require is food and light.I think we can dispense with the light being the problem so I think it's reasonable to think nutrients are in some way being increased to fuel the algae. I maybe barking up the wrong tree so if there is another logical reason then it would be good to hear it.

Still nothing on my end either. Diatoms, yes, but as it was mentioned here, apparently the oxydator won't remove diatoms. I realize that the oxydator doesn't remove silica, but I was hoping that given the concept of increasing the heterotrophic bacterial load which would then compete with diatoms for everything but silica, that I would see a reduction in diatoms overall. So far nothing. Maybe it's just a brown, fuzzy algae?

I'm willing to give it a bit longer, but so far, it hasn't helped in any visual way for my tank. Coral are all about the same (including the pissed off xenia), same polyp extension, etc. I'm giving a good month or so before I write an official review on the product, but first impressions are pretty underwhelming.

albertthiel

What does the heavy feeding have to do with it? Genuinely curious, as I've already got the filtration capacity to exceed what I'm already putting in, some corals are still pretty shrunken up. :)

Ben : somethihg is going on in that tank that is not happening in other tanks as I have NEVER observed that happening and I ahve been using them for a LONG time just as Les has

Just saying

Not normal what is going on in your tank and IMO not due to the Oxydator ..

Albert

Still nothing on my end either. Diatoms, yes, but as it was mentioned here, apparently the oxydator won't remove diatoms. I realize that the oxydator doesn't remove silica, but I was hoping that given the concept of increasing the heterotrophic bacterial load which would then compete with diatoms for everything but silica, that I would see a reduction in diatoms overall. So far nothing. Maybe it's just a brown, fuzzy algae?

I'm willing to give it a bit longer, but so far, it hasn't helped in any visual way for my tank. Coral are all about the same (including the pissed off xenia), same polyp extension, etc. I'm giving a good month or so before I write an official review on the product, but first impressions are pretty underwhelming.

Very odd as the majority of those who use them have exactly the opposite results tibbsy

Albert

For $39 shipped, I got 2 nano oxydators from Saltwater Conversion to try out in my 5.5g and 12.5g tank. I know the 12.5g tank is more than the 8g recommendation for the nano, so we will see what happens there. I will be documenting progress of the tank with the oxydators. A quick summary of the two tanks:

5.5g

Currently running MAME skimmer / phosguard / carbon / purigen. Had algae under control for a while but for the last month, red cyano, turf algae, and a little green hair algae came back with increased feeding of phytoplan for new gorgonians. It will be interesting to see if the oxydator will help with either the cyano or algae.

12.5g

Currenting running PicO skimmer / phosguard / carbon / purigen. Heavily stocked tank. Increased feeding with Reef Chili / acropower / Reef Frenzy lead to green cyano / hair algae. Trying to trim xenia off live rock and every time I do it, algae outbreak the next day on the same rock.

I mean, all of the evidence has been anecdotal from all sides. The only actual data on these oxydators is from the people who actually developed the product, and that's all in German. Again, I'm waiting to place judgement, good or bad, but so far my corals are mostly unaffected, except the xenia which closed up as soon as I put the oxydator in the water (xenia despise peroxide - almost killed some a while back inadvertantly).

Quote "I mean, all of the evidence has been anecdotal from all sides"

I personaly know many people running Oxydators who report a reduction of algae growing on the glass of their tanks since introducing an Oxydator as many have reported on this site and others.

Quote " The only actual data on these oxydators is from the people who actually developed the product, and that's all in German."

Not so http://www.oxydator.de/english/soechting_oxydators.html

Quote "Again, I'm waiting to place judgement, good or bad,"

Fine and the way to go. May I ask what t positive results are you hoping to see? Cleaner water should be the first thing you notice as a positive. BTW I have 2 clumps of pulsing Xenia in my tank running an Oxydator with no problem at all and pulsing away. No peroxide should be entering the aquarium if you are using correctly and at the recommended strength. .

albertthiel

For $39 shipped, I got 2 nano oxydators from Saltwater Conversion to try out in my 5.5g and 12.5g tank. I know the 12.5g tank is more than the 8g recommendation for the nano, so we will see what happens there. I will be documenting progress of the tank with the oxydators. A quick summary of the two tanks:

5.5g

Currently running MAME skimmer / phosguard / carbon / purigen. Had algae under control for a while but for the last month, red cyano, turf algae, and a little green hair algae came back with increased feeding of phytoplan for new gorgonians. It will be interesting to see if the oxydator will help with either the cyano or algae.

12.5g

Currenting running PicO skimmer / phosguard / carbon / purigen. Heavily stocked tank. Increased feeding with Reef Chili / acropower / Reef Frenzy lead to green cyano / hair algae. Trying to trim xenia off live rock and every time I do it, algae outbreak the next day on the same rock.

Thanks and please keep us posted

Albert

Not the best pic as taken with my phone but my pulsing Xenia is doing very well with my Oxydator quite close to it. 20150316_161118_zpsxuatft2j.jpg

albertthiel

I mean, all of the evidence has been anecdotal from all sides. The only actual data on these oxydators is from the people who actually developed the product, and that's all in German. Again, I'm waiting to place judgement, good or bad, but so far my corals are mostly unaffected, except the xenia which closed up as soon as I put the oxydator in the water (xenia despise peroxide - almost killed some a while back inadvertantly).

Yes an objective evaluation would be helpful but note that what you find can also be labeled "anecdotal" the same as you have done with all other reports (the positive ones) ... but ... so be it. Just saying ....

Let's see what you find out tibbsy

Albert

Archived