Coral Vue Hydros

Oxydator and Hydrogen peroxide.

atoll

albertthiel

We can no longer buy 35% hydrogen peroxide here in the UK without a licence to do so. The highest % we can over the counter is 12%. When diluting be sure to use distilled or RO water to the required %.

Here I can order it from eBay ... and possibly from Health food stores but I would have to check to find out which ones carry it and in what % concentration ... there may be a GA state law that limits its strength that can be sold without a license

Albert

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
albertthiel

Only 12% now to be had on eBay UK.

Yes in that case there are restrictions in place obviously .. but 12% is more than what we use anyway so you should be OK IMO

Albert

Yeah I never advocate or use more than 9% but its annoying as it's more expensive having to buy the weaker solution.

albertthiel

Yeah I never advocate or use more than 9% but its annoying as it's more expensive having to buy the weaker solution.

True but I guess that is the only way to go for you

Albert

albertthiel

Just bought as 16oz bottle of 35% peroxide at NewLeaf Market in Florida for $20.

Great price for that concentration

Interesting product. How would the Oxydator react with an ATS? It sounds like it would not be a good idea to run the Oxydator and an ATS together. Can someone verify this?

I am interested too. Think I'll need 2x D for my tank (40g display). I would try an A but my sump isn't deep enough to submerge it.

Reading about peroxide strength, I was surprised to find we can get 35% pretty easily and even 50%! Guessing that's way overkill, but seems most if not all is either 3% or 35%. Is 35% okay to use, caution noted?

post-68282-0-96051200-1425814834_thumb.jpg

albertthiel

Interesting product. How would the Oxydator react with an ATS? It sounds like it would not be a good idea to run the Oxydator and an ATS together. Can someone verify this?

I see no reason why you could not do so. The algae scrubber will still help and grow algae in/on it

CronicReefer

I am interested too. Think I'll need 2x D for my tank (40g display). I would try an A but my sump isn't deep enough to submerge it.

Reading about peroxide strength, I was surprised to find we can get 35% pretty easily and even 50%! Guessing that's way overkill, but seems most if not all is either 3% or 35%. Is 35% okay to use, caution noted?

If you get 35% it can be easily diluted down to 6% just make sure you only use distilled water, 35% is too high to use in the oxydator.

albertthiel

Do not use stronger than 9%. Personally I use 6% for the oxydators I have in use

And 1 medium with 2 catalysts would IME be enough for that 40G Breeder tank

Albert

If you get 35% it can be easily diluted down to 6% just make sure you only use distilled water, 35% is too high to use in the oxydator.

Indeed ... I dilute mine with distilled water to about 6%

I do not use stronger than 6 %

Do not use stronger than 9%. Personally I use 6% for the oxydators I have in use

And 1 medium with 2 catalysts would IME be enough for that 40G Breeder tank

Albert

Indeed ... I dilute mine with distilled water to about 6%

I do not use stronger than 6 %

Oxydator D has just one catalyst right? Or can you add additional catalysts?
albertthiel

Oxydator D has just one catalyst right? Or can you add additional catalysts?

Yes you can add additional ones but you will need to order them if the unit only comes with 1

Albert

As I have said on here and other sites in the past I don't advocate using more than 9% peroxide and 2 catalysts. If you require a larger unit than the "A" model either try and get the "W" pond version or double up on the "A"

I see no reason why you could not do so. The algae scrubber will still help and grow algae in/on it

Thank you, Mr. Thiel. Do you know how much peroxide the large unit holds? I have approximately 80 true gallons of water running in my system and I'm considering the large unit. How often would I need to refill it with peroxide?

albertthiel

Thank you, Mr. Thiel. Do you know how much peroxide the large unit holds? I have approximately 80 true gallons of water running in my system and I'm considering the large unit. How often would I need to refill it with peroxide?

Here are some links that will give you the info you are looking for probably

http://www.aquariumoxygenator.com/#Oxydator

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?367906-S%C3%B6chting-Oxydator

How long the peroxide will last depends on several factors : temp of the water, salinity and especially the quality of the water (organics etc .. ) so it is hard to day but normally what happens is that the first batch may not last all that long, maybe a week or so and then subsequent ones, as the water is more purified, will start to last longer and longer.

Also it depends on the number of catalysts used and in your case two are suggested which is what that model you have in mind comes with

Albert

Sounds good. I dosed my tank a couple times with 3% peroxide and the water became crystal clear. If the Oxydator can achieve the same level of clarity, then I am sold!

Just remembered one more question I had. Can I mix the 35% peroxide with RODI water instead of distilled water to achieve a 6% solution?

Ok, I just pulled the trigger on the large Oxydator A from Saltwater Conversion. Any links to pure 35% peroxide on Ebay? No idea which company to go with.

I would simply go with food grade peroxide. You can dilute it with RODI but just DI I am not sure about as it will be unclear what residue is left after the DI and how the peroxide will react with the residue. However I do know some people just use DI andreport no ill effects. The more pure the peroxide and the diluting water the better IMO. You could buy RO or even distilled water just to use with the peroxide.

Sorry yes your RODI will be fine.

albertthiel

Sounds good. I dosed my tank a couple times with 3% peroxide and the water became crystal clear. If the Oxydator can achieve the same level of clarity, then I am sold!

Yes it will indeed

Ok, I just pulled the trigger on the large Oxydator A from Saltwater Conversion. Any links to pure 35% peroxide on Ebay? No idea which company to go with.

Excellent decision

Archived