Top Shelf Aquatics

Oxydator and Hydrogen peroxide.

atoll

Ok, I just pulled the trigger on the large Oxydator A from Saltwater Conversion. Any links to pure 35% peroxide on Ebay? No idea which company to go with.

Matters not if you just buy 100% food grade hydrogen peroxide as it should all be the same.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
albertthiel

Just remembered one more question I had. Can I mix the 35% peroxide with RODI water instead of distilled water to achieve a 6% solution?

You can use Ro/Di but make sure the TDS is zero ... that is why I prefer to use distilled water to make sure it is

Albert

PS I buy gallons of it at a local big box supermarket for 88 cts a gallon

Thanks guys! I ordered the large A model and can't figure out why the dome isn't made out of plexi. How do you know when the peroxide runs out if you can't see inside?

I'm a bit hesitant to use distilled water because I've read over the years that most use copper pipes in the distilling process. Could the trace amounts of copper be harmful or is it negligible?

They use glass pipes as far as I am aware using copper would make no sense. I doubt trace amounts if copper would be harmful in fact low level trace copper is reported to even be beneficial and is in most salt mixes.

IMO the reason the pot is made of ceramic is that any peroxide that may escape from the "dome" it will be converted into activated oxygen and water providing a lot of peroxide doesn't escape which could only happen if you didn't put the cap on properly or the dome was damaged in some way. The pot I think is make of the same ceramic material (which also contains silver) as the catalysts they use.

jedimasterben

I should have a model A Oxydator coming soon. Unfortunately I do not have the equipment to reliably test and monitor ORP, dissolved oxygen, or pH, but my water is pretty laden with gelbstoff and I have never found the source or a cure, despite running nearly a liter of Purigen and 250mL ROX 0.8 carbon along with a 55w UV sterilizer. I do know of someone that is planning to run a gamut of tests on the Oxydators and I look forward to their results.

albertthiel

Thanks guys! I ordered the large A model and can't figure out why the dome isn't made out of plexi. How do you know when the peroxide runs out if you can't see inside?

I'm a bit hesitant to use distilled water because I've read over the years that most use copper pipes in the distilling process. Could the trace amounts of copper be harmful or is it negligible?

As Les points out distillation is with glassware and not copper and even if it was it has never shown up in any of the tests of copper I have done on the distilled water I buy

I do know of someone that is planning to run a gamut of tests on the Oxydators and I look forward to their results.

That should be good and if you would post them here even better.

albertthiel

I should have a model A Oxydator coming soon. Unfortunately I do not have the equipment to reliably test and monitor ORP, dissolved oxygen, or pH, but my water is pretty laden with gelbstoff and I have never found the source or a cure, despite running nearly a liter of Purigen and 250mL ROX 0.8 carbon along with a 55w UV sterilizer. I do know of someone that is planning to run a gamut of tests on the Oxydators and I look forward to their results.

Sounds good Jedi ... let us know what they come up with ..

Thanks

Sounds great. I will go ahead and use distilled water. LOL I hope people weren't thinking I was too cheap to buy distilled water at the store.:)

albertthiel

Sounds great. I will go ahead and use distilled water. LOL I hope people weren't thinking I was too cheap to buy distilled water at the store. :)

Good move and I am sure that is not what they were thinking

Albert

Ok, I have installed my oxydator mini but I have a question - I thought this this was NOT supposed to form any actual visible bubbles? I have a steady stream of microbubbles... Is that normal?

CronicReefer

Ok, I have installed my oxydator mini but I have a question - I thought this this was NOT supposed to form any actual visible bubbles? I have a steady stream of microbubbles... Is that normal?

They went away after a day or two for me. I had some large bubbles popping out as well.
albertthiel

They went away after a day or two for me. I had some large bubbles popping out as well.

When you first use it 1st time yes that is normal

I just received my Oxydator A today from Saltwater Converison. Wow, I am impressed with the fast shipping (UPS 2nd day air)! I don't have my 35% peroxide yet as it should be here next week, however, I did add some 3% into a pitcher of water with the Oxydator in it. Immediately, I saw some air bubbles coming from the clay Oxydator so that leads me to believe that the brown exterior clay container was made to react with peroxide. I haven't even added the two catalysts into the pitcher and it is still bubbling. Is there any chance that the large clay Oxidator will add any impurities to my tank? Or, do you feel like the material is completely inert? I just want to be 100% sure that there will be no damage to any of my corals or fish from this unit. Thanks!

I just received my Oxydator A today from Saltwater Converison. Wow, I am impressed with the fast shipping (UPS 2nd day air)! I don't have my 35% peroxide yet as it should be here next week, however, I did add some 3% into a pitcher of water with the Oxydator in it. Immediately, I saw some air bubbles coming from the clay Oxydator so that leads me to believe that the brown exterior clay container was made to react with peroxide. I haven't even added the two catalysts into the pitcher and it is still bubbling. Is there any chance that the large clay Oxidator will add any impurities to my tank? Or, do you feel like the material is completely inert? I just want to be 100% sure that there will be no damage to any of my corals or fish from this unit. Thanks!

I think the ceramic is supposed to be inert, or at least non-reactive with the catalyst and the peroxide. Peroxide will bubble in water, as there will be some reaction. The catalyst is really what does the work here. Also, use the peroxide that came with the oxydator (if yours came with some) as that was what the developers designed it to work with.

Ahh, totally forgot that peroxide will react with water, lol! I have 35% peroxide coming Tue, so I will dilute to a 5:1 mixture so I can have roughly a 6% mixture. Tibbsy, do you notice any changes in your tank yet? Perhaps clearer water?

jamescstein

Mine is going into my wifes 125g either tonight or tomorrow. Likely tomorrow. Spring break coming up plenty of time to keep an eye on things as we'll be around the house.

albertthiel

Yes once in a while you will see a larger bubbles and that is normal /.... you will also notice that the level of peroxide in the container diminishes day after day

In fact in my Jellyfish tank wheres I have a mini installed I need to refill it today as the level is getting very low

Albert

jamescstein

In fact in my Jellyfish tank wheres I have a mini installed I need to refill it today as the level is getting very low

Wish the big one had a way to see how full it is.

albertthiel

No the base exterior is not supposed to react with the peroxide .. it is the catalysts that make the reaction happen. Not sure why you saw bubbles come out of it

And no it will not add anything noxious to your aquarium

Albert

Ahh, totally forgot that peroxide will react with water, lol! I have 35% peroxide coming Tue, so I will dilute to a 5:1 mixture so I can have roughly a 6% mixture. Tibbsy, do you notice any changes in your tank yet? Perhaps clearer water?

Yes dilute it to 6 or 9 % and then use it

Albert

Mine is going into my wifes 125g either tonight or tomorrow. Likely tomorrow. Spring break coming up plenty of time to keep an eye on things as we'll be around the house.

Sounds like a good plan

Albert

Yes that would help but after a while you can figure out when it starts to get low and note that you do not have to wait till it is empty of refill it ... you can refill it anytime you want

Albert

After a while you should be able to work out how often you need to refill it. However temperature can affect the rate at which the peroxide diminishes. BTW there is no reason to wait till the Oxydator is empty or nearly empty you can refill it at anytime.

albertthiel

After a while you should be able to work out how often you need to refill it. However temperature can affect the rate at which the peroxide diminishes. BTW there is no reason to wait till the Oxydator is empty or nearly empty you can refill it at anytime.

See higher up ... I made the same suggestion ...

Albert

Some of the questions above can be answered by the following short article I wrote. I apologise to those you have read it before.
Oxydator’s: What are they how do they work and what benefits do they bring
By Les Melling
I have been using Oxydator’s for many years with great results in my marine tanks. They are powered by Hydrogen peroxide and help to eliminate and keep at bay hair algae’s and cyno. An Oxydator will elevate the oxygen of the aquarium water reducing stress and aiding water quality. A number of Seahorse breeders both home and commercial employ them in their systems and have found they help with the survival rate of Seahorse fry.
Oxydator’s have been used in Europe for many years in fresh water aquariums. The peroxide is not administered directly into the tank (and so is far safer) but uses a catalyst to break the hydrogen peroxide down in activated oxygen and water. The process increases redox and helps cleans the aquarium water and keep it gin clear eliminating any yellowing. The effect in many ways is similar to ozone but no electricity is used as the oxydator is self powering. I have introduced many reefers in the UK to the virtues and use of Oxydator’s over the years as little appeared to be known about them.
Due to the Oxydator's oxidizing capacity, your water quality will be improved and many harmful contaminants in your water will be neutralized. Oxydator’s are also an aid to fighting algae.
The benefits of adding hydrogen peroxide to an aquarium in cases of acute oxygen deficiency, water putrefaction and water turbidity, spawn fungus, or for enriching the well being of your fish have been known for a long time.
Söchting Oxydator’s breaks the Hydrogen peroxide down into oxygen (O2) and water (H2O).
The advantage: Your aquarium's water quality will be fundamentally improved and problems such as those aforementioned will be greatly hindered.
The Söchting Oxydator breaks down hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen:
2 H2O2 ----------------------------> 2 H2O + O2
My Oxydator is situated in the rear RH side of the tank almost out of view however it could just as easily be put in one of the rear filter chambers.
using the catalyst the peroxide is broken down in the Oxydator and defuses out through a pin hole under the bell housing. Only pure oxygen and water are released nothing else and no peroxide directly enters the aquarium etc..
When in use you might just be able to see some microscopic oxygen bubbles leaving the reactor for a little while, while it settles down. Some of the bubbles are so small that they don't tend to rise but leave the Oxydator and drift horizontally in the water column. I have never witnessed any adverse effects from these bubbles on any of my corals or fish. The appearance of these fine bubbles happens mainly after first introducing the Oxydator and after each refilling. From time to time larger bubbles are released esp after filling and introduction, again these are of no concern or danger.
More info here.
This is a quote from Dan Underwood, owner and operations of seahorsesource.com.
"As mentioned above, the Oxydators work by the catalyst reacting with the peroxide. This releases the gas inside the device and the gas O2 rises. As it expands. Using the recommend size oxydator and the recommended solution, I have not been able to get a peroxide reading in a tank. When I have increased the strength several times that of the recommendation, I did get peroxide readings.
I too have done peroxide dosing on tanks. Even when dosing 5 to 10 mg/L daily, I have found the Oxydator’s worked better. My guess is because they are constantly working in a slow regulated way”
There are 4 Oxydator’s in the range the Mini, D, A and W. Note the “W” version is very large and only recommended for ponds and large systems.
MODEL SPECIFICATIONS FROM THE OXYDATOR WEB SITE.
Mini D A
Height. 6cm 8.5cm 18cm
Diameter 4cm 8.5cm 9cm
Aquarium size up to 30Ltrs 100Ltrs 400Ltrs
Peroxide lasting Approx 4weeks 2 -4weeks 2 to 8 weeks
Each model comes with its own catalysts one each for the mini and “D” models 2 with the “A” model. More catalysts can be bought if needed but they are everlasting more or less. Up to 11% food grade hydrogen peroxide can be bough via the net in various quantities inc eBay. If buying 11% then you can dilute it using RO water almost doubling the initial quantity which is very cost effective.
Finally Just how long the peroxide last is influenced by a number of factors esp temperature and number of catalysts used as in the “A” model which comes with 2.

See higher up ... I made the same suggestion ...

Albert

OOps, yes Albert I have been away a few days so just catching up. I should have read all the posts before replying.

jamescstein

Immediately, I saw some air bubbles coming from the clay Oxydator so that leads me to believe that the brown exterior clay container was made to react with peroxide. I haven't even added the two catalysts into the pitcher and it is still bubbling. Is there any chance that the large clay Oxidator will add any impurities to my tank? Or, do you feel like the material is completely inert? I just want to be 100% sure that there will be no damage to any of my corals or fish from this unit. Thanks!

Don't the smaller one, but at least on mine it is unglazed ceramic. The firing process removes pretty much every little bit of moisture from the ceramic. You're probably just seeing air bubbles escaping from the ceramic as it gets wet. Much like porous rock bubbles for a bit after you get it wet for the first time.

When you first put the Oxydator into the tank or after a filling when you put the perspex bell into the pot a little peroxide will escape until enough peroxide has reacted with the catalysts to force the activated oxygen out of the bell which in turn prevents the peroxide simply dripping out It is for that reasons there is a raised part to the bell as a bubble forms there preventing peroxide escaping and only pure oxygen and water will escape.

Archived