Top Shelf Aquatics

Oxydator and Hydrogen peroxide.

atoll

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the oxidation helps to rid nuicence algae. Would it kill off dt macros ?

Micro algae like the ones that grow on the tank panes but not macro algae and not GHA or other higher nuisance algae but it should help prevent them to a great extent

From my reading, H2O2 is very lethal to shrimps. There are no shrimp in my experiment tank. I have an acro crab, no issues. And a sally lightfoot crab, no issues(crab just died hugging an MP10).

Is this direct dosing or using this sort of oxydator?

Farkwar :

No H2O2 gets in the aquarium

It gets broken down by the catalyst in the unit into water and oxygen

Albert

Is this direct dosing or using this sort of oxydator?

Not direct dosing ..... we are talking about using an Oxydator ....

Direct dosing with ornamental shrimp in the tank is a touchy method for sure

Not direct dosing ..... we are talking about using an Oxydator ....

Direct dosing with ornamental shrimp in the tank is a touchy method for sure

I know the thread is about the Oxydator.. I was referring to farkwar's comment.

I.e. is the Oxydator safe for a tank with shrimp? I.e. peppermint, cleaner, pistiol, etc..

I know the thread is about the Oxydator.. I was referring to farkwar's comment.

I.e. is the Oxydator safe for a tank with shrimp? I.e. peppermint, cleaner, pistiol, etc..

Yes I noticed now

Thanks, I'll order 1 to try.

You are welcome

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Does anyone have first hand experience using the oxydator in a tank with skunk cleaner shrimp and / or pistol shrimp? I emailed the company that makes the oxydator and received the following reply:

Can I use the oxydator in a reef take with Skunk Cleaner Shrimp? It is a biocube 29 and I will put the oxydator in one of the back chambers.

but this is a question of the amount of H2O2 coming into the water.

An Oxydator releases water and oxgen and some H2O2, thats cleans the water
and oxidizing different matter (rising up Redoxpotential). That is an improtant factor of an
Oxydator. As far we know, some Lower Animals in saltwater are sensitive to H2O2,
that means if you use an Oxydator in saltwater, take a lower concentration and rises it up slowly,
until you have the level of "normal" concentration as recommended in swéat water.n

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

George

Well that's the first time I have ever heard of a reply from the company direct as I never had a reply to either of my 2 emails to them.
Secondly I am very surprised by the answer you got. I have never read anywhere in any of the Oxydator literature that Oxydators release any peroxide into the aquarium. I do know Oxydators are used by people who keep shrimps and just like many keeping seahorses swear by their use. However should a very small amount of peroxide enter the aquarium and it must be a very small amount indeed I would expect it to break down very quickly into oxygen and water and therefore be of no harm to anything we keep. Hydrogen peroxide is very unstable once released into salt water especially iME and reacts very quickly breaking down into it's 2 component parts.

Who or what is sweat water may I ask?

albertthiel

Hi

Does anyone have first hand experience using the oxydator in a tank with skunk cleaner shrimp and / or pistol shrimp? I emailed the company that makes the oxydator and received the following reply:

Can I use the oxydator in a reef take with Skunk Cleaner Shrimp? It is a biocube 29 and I will put the oxydator in one of the back chambers.

but this is a question of the amount of H2O2 coming into the water.

An Oxydator releases water and oxgen and some H2O2, thats cleans the water
and oxidizing different matter (rising up Redoxpotential). That is an improtant factor of an
Oxydator. As far we know, some Lower Animals in saltwater are sensitive to H2O2,
that means if you use an Oxydator in saltwater, take a lower concentration and rises it up slowly,
until you have the level of "normal" concentration as recommended in swéat water.n

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

George

Very odd response as Les pointed out. The catalyst in the Oxydator breaks down the H2O2 to water and O and no peroxide enters the aquarium if the unit is set up correctly.

I am surprised about the answer you got

BTW who did you email if I may ask as we need to clarify that with the vendor you contacted I think

Let me know

Albert

albertthiel

Well that's the first time I have ever heard of a reply from the company direct as I never had a reply to either of my 2 emails to them.

Secondly I am very surprised by the answer you got. I have never read anywhere in any of the Oxydator literature that Oxydators release any peroxide into the aquarium. I do know Oxydators are used by people who keep shrimps and just like many keeping seahorses swear by their use. However should a very small amount of peroxide enter the aquarium and it must be a very small amount indeed I would expect it to break down very quickly into oxygen and water and therefore be of no harm to anything we keep. Hydrogen peroxide is very unstable once released into salt water especially iME and reacts very quickly breaking down into it's 2 component parts.

Who or what is sweat water may I ask?

See my reply above Les ... never seen that kind of an answer from a vendor (I asked which one)

Let's see what the answer is and it is obvious that vendor needs to better understand the workings of the Oxydator

Albert

See my reply above Les ... never seen that kind of an answer from a vendor (I asked which one)

Let's see what the answer is and it is obvious that vendor needs to better understand the workings of the Oxydator

Albert

Yep read it earlier Albert and hit the like button. Something's not right esp with the answer Steelfin got. Will be interesting to hear just who he emailed as like you I have em,ail schoting twice without ever getting a reply from them.

albertthiel

Yep read it earlier Albert and hit the like button. Something's not right esp with the answer Steelfin got. Will be interesting to hear just who he emailed as like you I have em,ail schoting twice without ever getting a reply from them.

Yes let's see what Steelfin come back with

BTW I never had replies to my emails to Sochting either

Albert

albertthiel

Not me!

Wonder who was giving out advice like that...

I I wonder too Neil ... Let's see what we get as response

And for those who read this Saltwater-conversion.com now has stock of the Mini and Model A available in the US so less shipping time involved and they have great prices.

you can go to their web site www.saltwater-conversion.com and check out the availability of the Oxydator (and order) and of the Mini Doser Pump (a great buy btw) and other products they have available

Albert

CronicReefer

I just got my oxydator setup in my 29 gallon yesterday, after reading all the great things Albert says about them and I'm loving it already. So easy to setup and maintain, my water is so clear you wouldn't even know it's there and I know all my inhabitants will benefit from the high oxygen levels. Thanks for the great shipping and service as well Neil.

Well I have been goging on about Oxydators for over 30 years and at last mainly due to Albert and me sending him first Oxydator to try together with Albert seeing for himself and not only reporting on it but writing about it in his book people are finally seeing the light. Until Albert became a convert, seeing the results for himself and promoting it I was something of a loan voice in reefkeeping circles. BTW I don't work to Shoting, any LFS, sell Oxydators or have ever made any money or even had a freebie off anybody although some people find that hard to believe. :rolleyes:

albertthiel

I just got my oxydator setup in my 29 gallon yesterday, after reading all the great things Albert says about them and I'm loving it already. So easy to setup and maintain, my water is so clear you wouldn't even know it's there and I know all my inhabitants will benefit from the high oxygen levels. Thanks for the great shipping and service as well Neil.

Thanks .. and if you need assistance in any way or have questions do not hesitate to let me know. Oxydators are great indeed and I would not run an aquarium without one. I am even going to add a mini to my Jellyfish tank

Albert

CronicReefer

Thanks .. and if you need assistance in any way or have questions do not hesitate to let me know. Oxydators are great indeed and I would not run an aquarium without one. I am even going to add a mini to my Jellyfish tank

Albert

I appreciate that. I concentrated my own peroxide from 3% to approximately 6% so I hope that's okay to do (was a pretty simple process). Your jellyfish are amazing, I hope I can keep something so delicate one day.
albertthiel

I appreciate that. I concentrated my own peroxide from 3% to approximately 6% so I hope that's okay to do (was a pretty simple process). Your jellyfish are amazing, I hope I can keep something so delicate one day.

Thanks for the comments on the Jellies ....

And on concentrating the peroxide did you do it by heating it (without boiling it) and by freezing it and removing water crystals as soon as they appear, and repeat the process a few times to further concentrate it ? Just wondering.

I find the freezing method safer but harder to accomplish.

NOTE FOR those Reading This : if you are not familiar with how to concentrate H2O2 do not attempt to do so as if not done properly and for instance heating it too much, a small explosion can occur which will spray peroxide all over anything that is nearby,

Albert

CronicReefer

Thanks for the comments on the Jellies ....

And on concentrating the peroxide did you do it by heating it (without boiling it) and by freezing it and removing water crystals as soon as they appear, and repeat the process a few times to further concentrate it ? Just wondering.

I find the freezing method safer but harder to accomplish.

NOTE FOR those Reading This : if you are not familiar with how to concentrate H2O2 do not attempt to do so as if not done properly and for instance heating it too much, a small explosion can occur which will spray peroxide all over anything that is nearby,

Albert

I heated it to 90* Celsius and reduced by 1/2 and then another 10% total starting volume to account for any degradation from heating. So from what I understand it should put me at about 6-7%. I just feel the freezing method is more complicated without really producing better results. I also cleaned out the pyrex container with distilled water before starting because cleanliness is important to prevent degradation. Boiling would definitely be dangerous and would also cause poor results.
albertthiel

I heated it to 90* Celsius and reduced by 1/2 and then another 10% total starting volume to account for any degradation from heating. So from what I understand it should put me at about 6-7%. I just feel the freezing method is more complicated without really producing better results. I also cleaned out the pyrex container with distilled water before starting because cleanliness is important to prevent degradation. Boiling would definitely be dangerous and would also cause poor results.

Yes I figured you used the heating method.

And good idea to remove the extra 10% to account for some degradation

Again to others : do not try this unless you know exactly how to perform this !!!!!

Archived