ReefCleaners.org

Yeah. I'll get one soon. Maybe right after my cycle or something.

One of your videos just popped up on my YouTube homepage so I thought I would stop by and ask for an update. :D

Thats cool. I've been getting quite a few views on both recent videos, surprising more on the older less cool looking one, but whateva.

As for the tank not a whole lot to report. A few new frags, but I've been super busy at work doing the new Twins Stadium jumbotron video. First game is next Monday and I've been working on it pretty much nonstop for the last 2-3 weeks. Worked the last two weekends and stayed til 10pm or later the last couple days as the crunch time is hitting hard.

My next major video or picture update probably wont be til May though as that is when our local Minneapolis/St Paul reef club has their swap.

• Like 1
Kfmmartin19

Thats cool. I've been getting quite a few views on both recent videos, surprising more on the older less cool looking one, but whateva.

As for the tank not a whole lot to report. A few new frags, but I've been super busy at work doing the new Twins Stadium jumbotron video. First game is next Monday and I've been working on it pretty much nonstop for the last 2-3 weeks. Worked the last two weekends and stayed til 10pm or later the last couple days as the crunch time is hitting hard.

My next major video or picture update probably wont be til May though as that is when our local Minneapolis/St Paul reef club has their swap.

Whoa u make videos for the Twins jumbotron??? That's sick! I'm a big baseball fan haha that's really cool

• Like 1

Whoa u make videos for the Twins jumbotron??? That's sick! I'm a big baseball fan haha that's really cool

I make lots of different kinds of videos. The Twins stuff is more creative than the usual tv commercials. You can check out the first video I made for them 3 years ago.

I did everything from :42 to the end, including 60 player lineups. All the 3D modeling, effects, compositing, etc

Other things can be found on our companies Vimeo Page - vimeo.com/user1622642/videos

This one has some Twins and Brewers stuff on it, showing it on the actually screens.

http://vimeo.com/41713592

• Like 2

if the baseball game is as exciting as watching your video, I would be a baseball fan too...

I would have to say, you have some amazing graphic skill....!

if the baseball game is as exciting as watching your video, I would be a baseball fan too...

I would have to say, you have some amazing graphic skill....!

Thanks.

It turned me into a fan working on the videos. Before that I maybe watched 1-2 games a year on tv and mostly out of boredom, now I'll try to go to games at the stadium or watch it on tv after a busy day. It made me appreciate it a little more.

Do you use Premier?

I use Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects fairly frequently. But the main software I use is Maya and Nuke.

• Like 1

Not fish tank related but I finally finished and uploaded the latest Twins Opening video for the 2013 season!

The video is the first to do unique fan integration on a game by game basis. So each of the 81 home games will have different fans that were recorded at Twins fest or an hour prior the start of that days game.

• Like 2

How did you get into this kind of thing? The 3D Modelling and such. I was playing with Sketchup the other day and I really enjoyed it. Are you self taught or have you done a few courses or something?

Very impressive.

Any update on the tank?

Not much, I don't remember what the last thing I talked about was but recent coral purchases include a blasto, seafoam green duncan, and a spongodes.

This last weekend I caught my psuedo and took him into the fish store as they had a Helfrichi for sale. I wanted the Helfrichi more and knew the psuedo would bully him. I get the fish acclimated and he seems fine all day. The next day he is missing most of his tail. So my clown I guess is a jerk when a meaner fish isn't in the tank. The helfrichi ended up dying and I was both sad and upset. I had both fish seperated and was even ready to trade the clown in for a baby one but it was too late, the helfrichi was too tramatized and couldn't make it though the whole day.

So I went back to the fish store and they gave me my purple psuedo back. I have given up on that fish and accepted that these are the 3 fish I'm probably going to have for the life of the tank.

How did you get into this kind of thing? The 3D Modelling and such. I was playing with Sketchup the other day and I really enjoyed it. Are you self taught or have you done a few courses or something?

I went to college for it but was very strong in art and design before going there. Most of the programs have changed and evolved in the last 5 years so a lot of it is self taught.

• Like 1

Good old Minnesota Twins. I remember watching games at the metro-dome but I have not been back to see the new park.

Definitely try to catch a game if you are ever in the Twin Cities sometime. It is an amazing ballpark.

Try to go in the summer though as these spring outdoor games can be a little nipply when its 35-40 degrees outside still.

Kfmmartin19

Not much, I don't remember what the last thing I talked about was but recent coral purchases include a blasto, seafoam green duncan, and a spongodes.

This last weekend I caught my psuedo and took him into the fish store as they had a Helfrichi for sale. I wanted the Helfrichi more and knew the psuedo would bully him. I get the fish acclimated and he seems fine all day. The next day he is missing most of his tail. So my clown I guess is a jerk when a meaner fish isn't in the tank. The helfrichi ended up dying and I was both sad and upset. I had both fish seperated and was even ready to trade the clown in for a baby one but it was too late, the helfrichi was too tramatized and couldn't make it though the whole day.

So I went back to the fish store and they gave me my purple psuedo back. I have given up on that fish and accepted that these are the 3 fish I'm probably going to have for the life of the tank.

I went to college for it but was very strong in art and design before going there. Most of the programs have changed and evolved in the last 5 years so a lot of it is self taught.

Geez that sucks! What does ur Blenny do when all this is happening? ;)

Geez that sucks! What does ur Blenny do when all this is happening? ;)

During the chase to try and catch the psuedo he stayed in his rock the whole time. When I eventually got frustrated and know I had to pull the rock I waited til the psuedo darted inside and yanked the whole thing, so both of them took the ride. The blenny is very content with his hole so when the psuedo eventually swam back out into my water change bucket the blenny took the ride back into the tank without ever leaving his hole. He was a little distraught as you could tell his coloartion darkened and he was timid but hes fine now. And since I went back to the fish store to pick up my fish again nothing has changed and I'm again out almost $100. So no more fish. These are the 3 I'm going to have for a long time.

Kfmmartin19

During the chase to try and catch the psuedo he stayed in his rock the whole time. When I eventually got frustrated and know I had to pull the rock I waited til the psuedo darted inside and yanked the whole thing, so both of them took the ride. The blenny is very content with his hole so when the psuedo eventually swam back out into my water change bucket the blenny took the ride back into the tank without ever leaving his hole. He was a little distraught as you could tell his coloartion darkened and he was timid but hes fine now. And since I went back to the fish store to pick up my fish again nothing has changed and I'm again out almost $100. So no more fish. These are the 3 I'm going to have for a long time.

That sucks bro. Guess the helfrichi was just not meant to be

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a little teaser picture for two videos I'm currently uploading. Nothing fancy but viewing the tank this way every so often is very cool.

SxBd0oOl.jpg

• Like 3
Here is a little teaser picture for two videos I'm currently uploading. Nothing fancy but viewing the tank this way every so often is very cool.SxBd0oOl.jpg

Just saw this on TCMAS sweet pic and cant wait for the videos!

• Like 1
Jackal_Knight

Hey scorched just wanted say you have a beautiful tank, thanks for posting all the info for your overflows, I'm doing the same style overflow in my 11.4 gallon so i've reading all your build post. and great vids also.

• Like 1

Ermyghoddd. The bulkhead screens are back in stock!

Man. I hope you know whenever I get bummed out about my tank build I take a look at this thread. Then im like "I want this." And I get my ass back up and too work. I also read that you influenced a newcomer to buy a 12 long.

Keep it up dood.

Hey scorched just wanted say you have a beautiful tank, thanks for posting all the info for your overflows, I'm doing the same style overflow in my 11.4 gallon so i've reading all your build post. and great vids also.

Thanks Jackal. Just post any questions you have about the overflow. Its probably a very old technique done in a new style. I really brainstormed and researched the Xaqua and Oceanlife Overflows to get it to work, so don't be afraid to pick my brain.

Really nice videos. Tank is looking amazing.

Appreciate it pj86

Ermyghoddd. The bulkhead screens are back in stock!

Man. I hope you know whenever I get bummed out about my tank build I take a look at this thread. Then im like "I want this." And I get my ass back up and too work. I also read that you influenced a newcomer to buy a 12 long.

Keep it up dood.

I noticed that a few days ago as well. Its a shame that only 1-2 places sell them.

Don't get discouraged, I felt the same way for a long time. It was a rollercoaster of excitement and hardships, but eventually things slowly get ironed out and things start to just work. So give it time. Just like you I had troubles with the overflow style immediately after I set it up. I think its probably at least a page or two discussion. A huge thing was running the water just a tiny bit lower, and using a filtersock with polyfill. Running it just a little low stops the gurgling, and using the sock and polyfill removed the waterfall sound in the sump.

I love to bring new people into the hobby and try the same tank as well, and I try to guide anyone that wants advice. I don't want to see others get discouraged and frustrated before the tank is even fully running.

• Like 1

very cool tank, you got a few of my creative brain cells working overtime right now. I havent had a chance to read all of the pages, but did you ever do anything about your flow rate to the sump? I know you were looking for more.

To adjust your water level so you have the air going in the drains, do you just adjust the valve on your return?

Also, how is the starfish doing? I had one for a maybe 6 months, but eventually there was just nothing to eat and it actually ate itself. not too pretty. Hope yours does better!

very cool tank, you got a few of my creative brain cells working overtime right now. I havent had a chance to read all of the pages, but did you ever do anything about your flow rate to the sump? I know you were looking for more.

To adjust your water level so you have the air going in the drains, do you just adjust the valve on your return?

Also, how is the starfish doing? I had one for a maybe 6 months, but eventually there was just nothing to eat and it actually ate itself. not too pretty. Hope yours does better!

I never changed anything drastic. I added some polyfill to my filter sock. This lowered the noise and seemed to allow me to open the valve on the return to 95-100% open. So yes, my water level is adjusted by the return valve.

If I leave it completely open at 100% it doesn't overflow but the water runs too high and makes me feel uneasy about it overflowing. It rises so high that it completely covers the bulkhead. This causes a full siphon so it drains faster. The water level drops causing air to enter the tube and a gurgle / slurping sound happens and the cycle repeats. So I dial the valve back a little so a stream of air is always let into the tube. I know that it can't overflow even if something is covering one of the bulkheads and it stays silent.

The starfish isn't doing too well actually. In the last week it has been falling off the glass or rocks and landing upside down. Before It would curl its legs and turn itself over. Now it takes forever and I feel bad and flip him over myself. One of the tips of his arms lost a little color. It has been about 7 months since I bought him on Halloween last fall. So these guys don't seem to have a good life in captivity above that.